Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S5 Lollipop Unfortunately Vodafone Updates Has Stopped

MCsound2
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I have recently upgraded my firmware to Lollipop on the S5. I have a really annoying thing that keeps coming up saying "Unfortunately Vodafone Updates has stopped". I think it is killing the battery as I am not even getting 8 hours out of it at the moment.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

It's not a huge deal.   I'd never rely on a proprietary backup format, but rather copy files somewhere else (it could be an external sd card or a pc) on an individual basis.   If you want to retain app settings or game states, you can copy the whole .android filder and simply put it back later.   Check for any apps that store data in their own folders that are subfolders of the root folder, too.   Contacts should normally be sync'd with Google, so would come back when you sign back into your account.   You can also export from within the Contacts app as a belt-and-braces (back that file up too).  If you want to keep text messages, and app like SMSbackup can do that for you, and I think there are also apps that will take care of call logs.  If you have an external sd card, it's a good idea to remove that before re-setting, just in cse the process wipes that too.

You won't have to re-install Lollipop: the phone will revert to an out-of-the box state, but with the latest OS in place.  When you sign back into your Google account, choose the "restore" option and things like wallpapers and your apps will be put back.   You'll need to set your homescreens up again, so screenshots or paper notes are a good plan.   If you have to do the process manually, going into Play and choosing My Apps, then the All tab will give you a list, so at least you don't have to go searching.

If you do a reset, you should find the problems you've encountered so far, as well as others should go away.   What the process does is to get rid of any bits of code left over from the old OS that are hanging round and confusing the system.

That all sounds complicated, but I've tried to cover all the bases.

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

hrym

In the first instance, try a factory reset.   Don't forget to back up your content and make sure your contacts are sync'd somewhere first.  Lollipop is a major update and a reset is pretty much essential after it.   That should solve all your issues.

Thanks for the reply.

It seems a little excessive to have to do a factory reset. Given that Kies is so useless it won't actually do a backup of my phone, I would like to keep it as it is with the apps etc.

Also, if I did do a factory reset, would I then not have to reinstall Lollipop?

hrym

It's not a huge deal.   I'd never rely on a proprietary backup format, but rather copy files somewhere else (it could be an external sd card or a pc) on an individual basis.   If you want to retain app settings or game states, you can copy the whole .android filder and simply put it back later.   Check for any apps that store data in their own folders that are subfolders of the root folder, too.   Contacts should normally be sync'd with Google, so would come back when you sign back into your account.   You can also export from within the Contacts app as a belt-and-braces (back that file up too).  If you want to keep text messages, and app like SMSbackup can do that for you, and I think there are also apps that will take care of call logs.  If you have an external sd card, it's a good idea to remove that before re-setting, just in cse the process wipes that too.

You won't have to re-install Lollipop: the phone will revert to an out-of-the box state, but with the latest OS in place.  When you sign back into your Google account, choose the "restore" option and things like wallpapers and your apps will be put back.   You'll need to set your homescreens up again, so screenshots or paper notes are a good plan.   If you have to do the process manually, going into Play and choosing My Apps, then the All tab will give you a list, so at least you don't have to go searching.

If you do a reset, you should find the problems you've encountered so far, as well as others should go away.   What the process does is to get rid of any bits of code left over from the old OS that are hanging round and confusing the system.

That all sounds complicated, but I've tried to cover all the bases.

Thanks for your help.

It's a massive pain in that I have had to do this reset but it has solved the problem. It seems a bit rubbish that I have had to do this as although I did a "backup and reset" through the Samsung settings menu, I have still had to add a couple of apps that didn't seem to add, all my whatsapps have disappeared and I have had to set all of my home screens again. 

A bit silly do have to do all this to update the firmware really.

I did do a backup using mybackup pro too, but I am a little wary of restoring everything from it as I don't want to bring the bugs back! 

Bottom line, problem solved!

hrym

I agree that resets are a pain, but sometimes they're essential.  Samsung devices seem to need them more often than others.  Unless you had bugs before, restoring won't bring them back if they're updated-related.  What happens is that bits of the old code hang about in the system cache and cause confusion.   That won't come back with a restore.   That said, if you don't need one, don't do it!

MCSound2

When it comes to a next big update and you want your Whatsapp back then.....

prior to factory reset connect to your computer and back up the contents of the the WhatsApp folder on your phone.

When you reinstall WhatsApp after the reset place the folders backinto WhatsApp.

Uninstall WhatsApp...re-install WhatsApp and it will say its found a previous back up or something like that and do you want to use it...click yes & you've got your WhatsApp back.

I do a similar thing for my Dolphin browser settings and bookmarks

Hope that helps

Samsung S7 Edge G935FXXU1DQB3 7.0

zaahidkhan
4: Newbie

I have read a few problems regarding this lollipop update in this forum. Is it worth upgrading or better waiting for all the bugs to be corrected?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mate

If it ain't broken don't fix it !

I have have no intention of upgrading to lollipop.  Too many problems itemised on this forum, and people wishing they could go back.  You can if you have the technical expertise.

laurie