Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S5 Lollipop update - changes to silent mode and menu background

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I updated my S5 OTA last night to Lollipop 5.0. First impressions are smoother performance and new look which is nice, however 2 major bugbears are overshadowing any improvements for me:

1) - Removed "silent" mode. The options now seem to be only are Sounds On or Vibrate, but no silent?? Looking around the web a lot of people are commenting on this, seems Google are pushing "interuptions" as the new mute-mode. It's not a straightforward swap though - unless I'm missing something there seems to be no way of having the phone on silent (i.e. no sounds or vibrations) but still to get notifications / LED indications come through for working in the office / library etc. This seems a stupid ommision!

2) No way to change menu background colours. Going into Settings, Contacts, Messages etc, there are all now a white background by default. I had it set to Black under KitKat which I preferred as it's easier to read in low light (first thing in the morning, at night etc). Why remove this option? Appreciate it'll be driven by Google, but one of the best things about Andriod phones is the ability to customise it and set it up to look and feel how you like. These menus have an iPhone-feel about them now from that perspective - some will not mind it, but I don't like it!!

Again, if I'm missing something and someone can direct me how to silence my phone but still receive notifications, or change menu colours, please let me know.

Thanks

Ian

65 REPLIES 65

Anonymous
Not applicable

Found this online:

"Android 5.1 Lollipop update UK release date

According to AndroidPit, Android 5.1 Lollipop will arrive at the end of February 2015, citing two trusted and completely separate sources. Android 5.1 Lollipop is expected to be a rather large update, returning the silent mode missing from Android 5.0, improving system stability, RAM management and battery management, and fixing sudden app closures, Wi-Fi problems and sound problems."

So a fix will come, but given 5.1 will launch in Feb for vanilla Android phones, I'm assuming it'll take some time to filter through Samsung and Vodafone, so not likely to be a few months after that before it lands for us. Maybe someone from Vodafone can give us an ETA if it's avaiable?

Also, no mention of bringing back the ability to change menu background colour, which is still sore on the eyes and really does feel like Google's trying to look like iPhone! Wonder if this is something Samsung can reinstate in Touch-Wiz? Whilst appreciate Google do the OS, Samsung are guardians of the user experience on their phones and I'm hoping they can reinstate features like that. Anyone know anyone from Samsung they can flag this to?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Worth saying there is a lot to like about 5.0 (I love the new notifications for example), but changes to the user experience for the worse are really detracting from the positives.

I put all my vibration intensity to zero so that even when I select VIBRATE from SOUND at the quick menu overnight whilst it's on charge at my bedside it doesn't vibrate at all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good work around SubaruWRX2003. I'll have to do the same. Not ideal given I make use of both vibrate and silent modes, but that way it means the alarm will still work and I won't get woken up during the night by vibrating phones as a result of emails and late-night messages (....more likely to be the former...but hey, we live in hope!!).

richardbrown197
4: Newbie
Excellent workaround will try that, thanks.

gel5960
1: Seeker
Hi, if you go to settings then were its the settings for sound and go to vibration intensity and turn it down to the very bottom on all then it will be silent :Smiling:

Hope that helped
Gab.

I agree the loss of control of vibrate / silent is a strange and backward step. But what's happened to my ability to toggle between "ring" and "don't ring" quickly without unlocking the screen first?  I could do this on my S5 / Kitkat by press & hold of the power button and select silent / vibrate / ring from the pop-up menu. With Lollipop there's no sound option on the power button menu, and the volume buttons are inactive when the phone is locked. I know I can silence it if it starts ringing without unlocking, but that's too late!. Anyone come across a work-around for this?

Not much help as they are inactive when locked, but agree with other posters that my S5 volume pop-up doesn't have interrupt mode buttons that I've seen screenshotted on other devices. I can't find any way of setting interrupt mode for a time period or to a schdule (as I could with Kitkat via blocking mode). Anyone shed any light on why these Lollipop features are not available on the S5 / if they will be in the next update?

Found a workaround for not being able to toggle between "ring" and "Don't ring" from a locked screen. Press the power button once, when the locked screen comes on, press and this time hold the power button, after the "Phone options" menu comes up, press the volume key, either up or down, volume control will come up, press on the phone icon to toggle between "ring" and "vibrate"

SophieHailey199
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi all i think i may have found a very long solution to this problem.
Silent mode may work my going to settings, sounds and notifications, and then Turing the vibration intensity down to 0. I'm not 100% sure if this will work. I tried with the phone on vibrate and then turning the intensity down.
Let me know how you all get on :Smiling:
Sophie

i am also having these issues but i will have a play and sort them

the one i am having at the moment is the vibration tone for messages i used to have an option to change the vibration pattern when i had a text. i used it to decipher between text and whatsapp messages. now its one continuous buzz and i cant find where to change it! 

has anyone any clue?