Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S5 Lollipop update - changes to silent mode and menu background

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I updated my S5 OTA last night to Lollipop 5.0. First impressions are smoother performance and new look which is nice, however 2 major bugbears are overshadowing any improvements for me:

1) - Removed "silent" mode. The options now seem to be only are Sounds On or Vibrate, but no silent?? Looking around the web a lot of people are commenting on this, seems Google are pushing "interuptions" as the new mute-mode. It's not a straightforward swap though - unless I'm missing something there seems to be no way of having the phone on silent (i.e. no sounds or vibrations) but still to get notifications / LED indications come through for working in the office / library etc. This seems a stupid ommision!

2) No way to change menu background colours. Going into Settings, Contacts, Messages etc, there are all now a white background by default. I had it set to Black under KitKat which I preferred as it's easier to read in low light (first thing in the morning, at night etc). Why remove this option? Appreciate it'll be driven by Google, but one of the best things about Andriod phones is the ability to customise it and set it up to look and feel how you like. These menus have an iPhone-feel about them now from that perspective - some will not mind it, but I don't like it!!

Again, if I'm missing something and someone can direct me how to silence my phone but still receive notifications, or change menu colours, please let me know.

Thanks

Ian

65 REPLIES 65

Just got the OTA too - for my Vodafone-supplied phone the ID is G900FXXU1BOE2 - which installed successfully. No sign of any change to the white background colours in e.g. contacts, but the problems with silent settings seem to have been addressed.

• The 3-state "Priority" mode has been replaced with "Do not disturb" which can be on or off. A bit easier to understand!
  • In Options, Sounds and notifications you can choose between Sound / Vibrate / Mute. There's also settings for Do not disturb including setting it by schedule and allowing various types of exceptions including alarms, contacts, favourites.
  • The volume rocker is enabled when the phone is locked (although nothing shows on the screen, you can tell when you've reached zero volume as the phone buzzes while switching to vibrate only). There still doesn't seem to be a way to go to mute using just the volume rocker, but that's a small point.

In addition my Fitbit app which would crash every minute or two seems to be stable now.

Progress at last :Smiling:

I don’t get this…

Samsung Galaxy S5. Updated Lollipop 5.0 last week. Since then the “None; Priority; All” notification system has gone. A pity, it worked, was intuitive and easy to use. A really good system!

Now we have “Do Not Disturb” which can be set to do the same thing as the above but not, in my view, so elegantly. This is a real backward step.

That wouldn’t be an issue, can live with it.

The biggie though is this… I like the priority mode detailed above. In order to emulate it in Do Not Disturb, you need to have DND on all the time. No problem there. BUT, in their wisdom, the developers think that having DND on is a notification item that needs a notification all the time. This takes up space on the notification screen and on the lock screen it covers useful things like – the owner name, pedometer, weather, etc. So, DND on 100% of the time in order to have the above priority mode features = notification all the time.

How do I get rid of this notification? If you set all notifications to off then that works but then, of course, you don’t get useful notifications.

Thanks

hrym
17: Community Champion

I know this is an old threaad, but FWIW, I got the Lollipop update on a Sony Z1 recently and lost Silent Mode.   The interweb reveals that sound profiles pop up if you press the volume key when you're on a homescreen.   I don't know if this works for Samsung?

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Silent mode has been restored in the latest update for the S5.

PWIAC

lindaclegg
3: Seeker
Thanks for the workaround for having a silent phone when needed - I can't believe that's been taken away!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the other issues I've been having please with this awful software update? Namely:

- inability to remain connected to wifi at home for more than 60 seconds (even when right by the router)
- battery draining v v quickly (I think because device is in a perpetual state of trying to reconnect to wifi)
- phone getting v warm at the back over the battery
- apps running slow and crashing frequently

All in all my Samsung Galaxy S5 is ruined as a result of Lollipop v5 - I'm furious!

Oh and the white background sucks too! 😉

lindaclegg
Thanks for the workaround for having a silent phone when needed - I can't believe that's been taken away!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the other issues I've been having please with this awful software update? Namely:

- inability to remain connected to wifi at home for more than 60 seconds (even when right by the router)
- battery draining v v quickly (I think because device is in a perpetual state of trying to reconnect to wifi)
- phone getting v warm at the back over the battery
- apps running slow and crashing frequently

All in all my Samsung Galaxy S5 is ruined as a result of Lollipop v5 - I'm furious!

I agree the white background sucks too! 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks stantheman77, sounds promising! Mine isn't through yet but I'll keep checking, hopefully it's on its way soon and that's the mute issue dealt with.

Any joy on the ability to change menu background colour?

stantheman77
5: Helper
Sorry can't find any settings for menu background. You can still change background etc in messages

Samsung S7 Edge G935FXXU1DQB3 7.0

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kirstyrosecs

Have a look through some posts in this section where you will find this issue well documented.  I haven't downloaded lollipop and don't intend doing so, but apparently new 'improved' features have been introduced called priorty/all/none or such like can't remember exactly.  There are workarounds for your problem, just browse through those threads

laurie

hrym

Issues following an OS update are often solved by a factory reset, which removes any bits of the old code that are hanging round and confusing the system.   Don't forget to back up your content and make sure your contacts and calendar are fully sync'd.  If you want to keep SMS and call logs, there are 3rd party apps that can back them up.