Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S5 lollipop POOR 4G performance

markiegee
3: Seeker
So I updated to lollipop OTA and apart from loads of bugs which were fixed with a cache clean and a factory reset I am now getting really poor 4G with Vodafone. I use to able to get full signal at home and on my walk to and from and whilst at work. Now I hardly get any. My days of streaming tunes are interrupted by lack of signal. Anyone else??? Can Vodafone comment?
13 REPLIES 13

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

It could be an issue with the phone, there could be an issue in the area.  I'd recommed that you go through the steps in the Network Troubleshooting Guide.

If these steps don't sort out the problem, please could you post the template with your results back here so that the eForum Team can investigate the issue for you.

PWIAC

markiegee

---------------------------------------------TEMPLATE-----------------------------------------------

Post Title: RG12 - Bracknell and W2 - London

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service? No almost everywhere.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the eForum, add it to your profile here. pretty much everywhere but when I'm static RG12 0UE and W2 1BD

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone? No and I also use aN iPhone on the same network and have no issue with signal in the location

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs? Low signal bars and in most cases no 4G at all only H+

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all? No or very low 4G but full H+

6) When did you first notice this issue? Once I updated to lollipop, before this no issues at these locations at all.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs? Generally permanent from what I can tell.

I use to be able to steam music on my way to and from work but since lollipop it skips, hops and stops all over the place. It must have something to do with lollipop as signal was excellent on kit kat And I never had an issue or signal failure like this.

drey_p

Hi there

I've entered both those postcodes into the Network Status Checker and it looks like there are known issues, that Vodafone will be working on, in both those areas.  You can register there to be notified when the issues are resolved.

PWIAC

markiegee
Doesn't make sense. Full signal with other phones here just not on the S5 Since lollipop. Was using my old HTC one today and had full 4gsignal. Back on s5 now and nothing!

Hi @markiegee

If this issue is only evident on the one phone, it’ll be a handset issue.

I’d recommend backing up your phone and performing a factory reset.

If this doesn’t work, the phone may be faulty.

To find out what you need to do in order to get this sorted, take a look at our Vodafone Repairs Thread. This can be found here.

Thanks,

Wayne

markiegee
Hi Wayne,

As per my original post I've already done that and the signal issue appears to be a result of the lollipop update as it worked flawlessly before that!

Was any actual testing done of this update or has the mobile telecoms industry adopted the 1970's British Leyland customer experience wherby the customer is the quality control,

Hi  @Kath1301 

To look into this further, please get in touch via Live help.

Thanks,

Rodney

richardbrown197
4: Newbie
I have also noticed a deterioration in the 4G signal on the S5 (since Christmas and before the update ) I have had no 4g data in mutiple places in central London- including Cannon St, London Bridge, Richmond, Bromley & Beckenham. All are places which had no issues before. Phone tries to switch to H+ or H. I suspect this is due to network congestion as so many new 4g users were added over Christmas?