Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S5 losing WiFi and network signal

ish479
3: Seeker

Is anyone else having issues with their S5.  I have read the one about losing 4G signal but I'm on a 3G plan.

My new phone constantly drops WiFi and network even when I'm sat in my office - not even moving about.  People are now resorting to calling my landline as my mobile just won't ring out, sometimes even when it looks like it has network signal.

I've been having these issues since I've had the phone.  Vodafone aren't really interested they just want to send me a new sim card ( though one has yet to appear in the post).  However I don't think this is the issue because a colleague of mine has recently had a new S5 on EE and is having the same issues. 

Is there a faulty batch of S5s out there?

6 REPLIES 6

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi ish479,

So we can rule out a network issue, please try the steps in our Network Troubleshooting thread.

If you are still experiencing the issue after completing these steps, post the template with your answers here and I'll have a member of the team get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Ian

As requested here is the completed template

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Multiple locations.  Location isn’t the issue.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs?

See profile 

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Issue resolved with restart so impossible to try in other phone unless continually using old phone. However as a colleague on EE with an S5 is experiencing the same issue it doesn’t appear to be a SIM issue. 

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

WiFi indicator disappears.

White triangle appears stating ‘No Network’ 

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

Both 2G & 3G

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Within the 1st week of having this new phone I noticed the network connectivity issue but more recently the WiFi because it dropped out when downloading and whilst completing a software update.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Intermittent – any time

Thanks

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi ish479,

There's no network issues currently showing at the postcode you provided.

You get a 14 day cooling off period after receiving the phone and I suggest getting it swapped.

If you got it online, or via telesales, call 191 free of charge from your phone and ask for the returns team.

If it's from a store, call in with the phone and box so they can swap it.

If it's outside the 14 days, we can arrange a repair.

Thanks,

Ian

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I'd definitely go with Ian_C's suggestion.  The fact that it's losing both the mobile signal and wifi suggests there's something wrong.  One or the other I could understand, but not both.

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

this sounds like the Modem drivers are failing

i would try a Factory wipe

this will rule out if its Firmware or hardware

and rule out a third party app

ish479

Attached is the template as requested.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Multiple locations.  Location isn’t the issue.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the eForum, add it to your profile here.

See profile 

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Issue resolved with restart so impossible to try in other phone unless continually using old phone. However as a colleague on EE with an S5 is experiencing the same issue it doesn’t appear to be a SIM issue. 

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

WiFi indicator disappears.

White triangle appears stating ‘No Network’ 

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

Both 2G & 3G

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Within the 1st week of having this new phone I noticed the network connectivity issue but more recently the WiFi because it dropped out when downloading and whilst completing a software update.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Intermittent – any time

Thanks