Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S5 mini wifi connectivity problems.

clementscastle
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hmmmm I'm starting to hate technology.

Husband & I purchased two S5 mini's through vodafone in December. Up until two weeks ago all was well and good.

Since then - husbands has been fine, mine on the other hand is going down the toilet soon.

The main problem seems to be when trying to connect to wifi at home. It drops out around three times a minute stating that the wifi signal isn't strong enough to connect. We know that isn't the case as husband sits right next to me on his same phone and its connecting fine. It was also switching it's self off and restarting once a day as well. Also had frozen a couple of times too.

This is what we have tried so far to rectify:

Last week took in into our VF local store who sent it off for repair. (no courtesy phone, yeah thanks for that)

Yesterday I collected it. haven't really had it long enough for it to freeze or reboot itself so hoping that's fixed but the wifi connection issue is still there if not worse. 

The next things we have tried are:

I have swapped phones with husband - Its still dropping the wifi on mine only. This points to the possibility of being the SD or sim card. Took out the SD card, still doing it. Took out the sim card and its working absolutely fine. So assuming that the sim card is the reason, went back to the VF store again today to sim swap.

Its not that. Its still doing it. 

Having just joined & checked through this forum, seems I am not alone, so have just tried a few other things just to see if it helps figure out what the hell is wrong with this bloody phone!

Turned off mobile data. wifi connection works fine but not really any good as I don't want to switch off the mobile data as defeats the point of having a mobile.

Just trying switching off the smart network switch which does seem to be working so far but why is it only now, two months into owning the phone has it decided to start doing this? I can't honestly say I saw an update that could have been the culprit but I'm guessing that's the case.

I've also copied this below to see if that helps to get any help in fixing this because if it can't be, I want to cancel the contract and I'll go back to my old phone.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

This is only happening at my home location because I only tend to use wifi at home.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the eForum, add it to your profile here. Its not a network issue.

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Yes, swapped sim into husbands new S5 and it's still doing it.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

Wifi symbol disappears - network appears (ie G - were in a pants area)

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

Hard to say as our area only shows 'G'

6) When did you first notice this issue?

2 weeks ago. 

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Technically its intermittent as its only when I'm at home. 

So, please tell me if this doesnt make sense!

Thanks

H

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Hi John,

The community can help with this. 

Your contacts and calendar items should already be synced to Gmail or another email account. If they aren't you should link them to an account right away.

Your photos can by automatically backed up to your Google + account to safeguard them. If you aren't doing that you should turn that facility on.

If you have activated your Samsung account it should be backing up a lot of your data already on a daily basis - texts and call log items among them. If you haven't done that you should do. You can also download SMS backup and restore app and Call Log Backup and Restore app from the Google Play store. They will backup your data and you can then upload those files to your Google drive.

I would also attach the phone to a computer using a USB cable and copy the contents of the phone's memory to the computer. This is a belt and braces move.

Good luck. Come back if you have any questions.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @john2015 

I always opt for a backup via USB over wireless as it's quicker.

Our Device Help page doesn't list the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini, but the steps you need to follow are the same as the Samsung Galaxy S5. :Smiling:

Cheers,

Ben

Voda Team,

Had connected phone to PC via usb, none of the data folders show "contacts" or "picture files" or "memo files", all of these had been entered onto the phone since day1 of usage. 

Could you pls provide some succinct step by step instructions how to back up phone before attempting the Factory Reset.

Never had to back up before so have no prior knowledge what so ever.

Thks

@ Voda's Tech Team

Can someone please advise how to backup the handset before attempting the Factory Reset.

Previously posted message received no reply.

Thanks

jeffkinn

Hi John,

The community can help with this. 

Your contacts and calendar items should already be synced to Gmail or another email account. If they aren't you should link them to an account right away.

Your photos can by automatically backed up to your Google + account to safeguard them. If you aren't doing that you should turn that facility on.

If you have activated your Samsung account it should be backing up a lot of your data already on a daily basis - texts and call log items among them. If you haven't done that you should do. You can also download SMS backup and restore app and Call Log Backup and Restore app from the Google Play store. They will backup your data and you can then upload those files to your Google drive.

I would also attach the phone to a computer using a USB cable and copy the contents of the phone's memory to the computer. This is a belt and braces move.

Good luck. Come back if you have any questions.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png