Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S5 overheating

ndasilva
3: Seeker
Is it normal for my S5 to overheat to near 38 degree centigrade temperatures after using it? Does anyone else get this problem? I just hope I'm not the only one affected by this.
9 REPLIES 9

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member

in a word NO!!!

How long have you had this ?

What was it doing ?

They do get warm as the case is part of the heat sink

but there is no major issues of over heating S5's

ndasilva
Well I've had the phone for about a month and it started becoming hot after two weeks or so... It just started getting warm after playing a game but now about ten minutes after I turn it on it starts getting warm even if I just read a newspaper article online (no games, etc).

hrym
17: Community Champion

Various possibilities here.  It may be that the game is very processor-intensive and that's what's causing the overheating when you play it.   Other use will cause some warmth, but is the phone a "normal" temperature when it's idle?   If so, that would tend to point away from a fault.  If not, then it's possible that a process is running away.  I'd also expect to see excessinve battery use in those circumstances (specifically, at idle).  If you're not seeing excessive battery use, but the life is short, then it's possible that the battery is faulty.

Retired-Laura
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi ndasilva,

This does not sound normal for the phone to be doing this.

Please see our repair process here, or pop in to your local store so they’ll take a look at this for you.

To find your local store check here.

Thanks,

Laura

I too have notice the phone getting unusually warm since the last firmware upgrade.  I put it down to the fact my internet connection on my wifi connection being down once and another time i just figured that I had lost signal.

Its like the phone is too stupid to realise now that the internet is gone and just keeps trying to connect like junkie whos got no more heroin left.

I found turning wifi off and a reboot resolves things .. but I never did experience thie before the last firmware upgrade.

hrym

Did you do a factory reset after the last update (especially if it was a major one - 500mb or so)?  If you don't do that, bits of the old code can hang around in the system and confuse it, possibly with the results you're seeing.

Northern-dj

Been doing some testing of this

First you need to see what is running in the back ground some times after a update this can upset third party apps

you need to look for any apps that do any form of syncing

This also includes Vodafones apps

If a app/Proses is not working it can start to use up CPU and can make things warm

Looking back on my notes from the S3 Facebook hit this wall and had to do a big rethink on there app

a Factory wipe will fix this until you put the app back on

mine is perfectly cold as i manualy sync apps and avoid most social apps

No factory reset was performed since the update did not mention this in the instructions. It might be a combo of things so I will see how it house over the next few days no my BB is back to full speed.

Northern-dj
Normally a fix update does not need a wipe
But we only get told that it's a bug fix rom from Samsung
We get no info from the people we should and that's Vodafone
A Factory wipe does get mentioned a lot as it has worked in the past mainly to clear third party apps
On main romantic updates a definite wipe is a must as third party app developers are slow at updating there apps many tend to fix after the event
If you don't fancy a wipe removing just the apps also works