Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy 5 Battery

phillippajbirch
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've had my S5 for a couple of months now and so far have been inpressed with the battery life, but over the last few days it is not lasting at all.

I have tried leaving it out for a few hours and then charging it, draining it completely before charging it and turning off all mobile data and wifi. Lat night I charged it fully before going to bed turned off the wifi and mobile data and the battery was at 5% this morning. I've checked that there is nothing running in the back ground either and I clear down pictures etc weekly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

I dont' know if you are aware but modern phone batteries don't like being completely drained.  In fact this can actually damage them.  I wouldn't recommend running the battery below 20% - it is actually okay to charge the phone at 50%!

Do you have any battery monitoring apps installed?  If not, download GSam Battery Monitor from the Play Store and use that to keep an eye on your battery for a day or two - you will soon be able to work out if there are any apps that are chewing through the battery power. Uninstalling the culprit app should help.

In light of all the battery problems with the S4, it may be an idea to check the batter itself.  Take it out and have a good look at it - you're checking for any signs of swelling or bulging on the battery. 

Failing all this - a good old fashioned hard reset of the device tends to solve most issues.  If you are going to do that, don't reinstall your apps and see if the phone behaves itself. Remember to also back up your personal data!

PWIAC

Hi, 

Thanks for your comments. I have a battery monitoring app installed and there is nothing showing as draining the battery. I did the factory reset last night as you sugested and left all apps off of the phone but agian today the battery is not keping the charge, I had a fuly charged battery that went flat during a 5 minute call... So I'm guessing I need to get a new battery.

Regards

Phillippa

hrym
17: Community Champion

That does sound like new battery time.  Online is usually the quickest way, but it's hard to be sure what you're getting is genuine - and phone manufacturers don't make their own batteries anyway.  Generally, as long as you pay at least £10 and use a UK-based supplier, you're likely to be OK.  When you get it, check the casing carefully for weaknesses or cracks.

Thanks, I'll make sure I order from a UK site

Doyou know if batteries are covered under warranty at all?

hrym

Generally not, but Samsung acknowledged that there was a faulty batch and were replacing them.  If users had to buy their own, they were also refunding, and Vodafone were too.   I don't know if this still applies - the initial problem was supposed to have been resolved - but you could ask.

steveo67
12: Established
12: Established

I have noticed that when you are in an area with poor wifi and poor or/and poor mobile reception the battery goes very quick and the phone gets warm.

hrym

@steveo67 wrote:

I have noticed that when you are in an area with poor wifi and poor or/and poor mobile reception the battery goes very quick and the phone gets warm.

In areas of poor signal, the phone will booost the radio sensitivity and this is one of the main consumers of battery.  If it's a problem and preserving the battery is more important than receiving calls and texts (etc), putting it in airplane mode is a workround.

Retired-Sarah
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi phillippajbirch,

Check out our device troubleshooting guide here.

You’ll find out more information and tips on battery life.

Thanks,

Sarah