Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung S5 GPS Icon keeps flashing ?

Mike777
4: Newbie
Hi all Really hope someone can help on this My S5 GPS icon keeps flashing although app like endemondo and Google maps say i have an excellent siginal. Any idea why this would be or is that normal ? Any advice or comments Many thanks for your time Regards Mike
8 REPLIES 8

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

On my S5 the GPS / location icon flashes on the top when an app is using it so for example when I update the weather, it flashes as it checks where I am.  I think this is normal behaviour TBH. 

PWIAC

hrym
17: Community Champion

Drey_p's right.   Some apps use GPS as well as the mobile signal to get your location.   In some cases, there's an option in settings to choose between coarse (no GPS) and fine (with GPS).  The former can reduce battery usage.  If the icon is flashing, it usually means it's trying to get a fix.  Afaik, it should go static once it's done that.

Thanks for replies..........

The problem is that my icon keeps flashing although Endomondo states I have an excellent fix.  In such cases shoultn't it stop flashing ???

Thanks again

Mike

Hi Mike777,

Do you have any other apps that are running with this?

Cheers,

Laura

Mike777
4: Newbie
Hi Laura

Many thanks for reply....

Do you mean with endemondo if so no other apps running

Thanks

Mike

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Mike,

Every time the icon flashes, there's a GPS connection being made. If yours is constantly flashing, that would point to either a poor GPS fix or GPS updates being pushed through constantly.

As mentioned, GPS will use a lot of battery life. Although we can't advise on third party apps, I'm confident that there'll be a setting somewhere to let you change this if you need to. :Smiling:

Cheers, 

Ben

hrym

I was using GPS at the weekend and, yes, it did seem to flash all the time it was in use.  I thought it went stable on a fix, but apparently not.   Actually, scrub that, I think it did on my old Gingerbread Samsung Galaxy S2.

Really strange as I texted on Endomondo and it's flashing however on google maps it's locked (doesn't flash) Really confused now ! Regards Mike