Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Galaxy S6 Cannot send Name Card (VCard) by SMS

pjb244
3: Seeker

My S6 will not send a contact name card by SMS.  If I attempt it the phone tries to send it but the text is "cancelled".  I can send contact info by MMS but do not want to because of fees and addressee's not being able to receive MMS.  I have spoken three times to the Vodafone helpdesk without success, on the third attempt the operator tried to carry out the same task on her own phone with the same result, consequently she then passed me on to the Samsung helpdesk which was utterly useless, the operator there must have been on her first day and I became frustrated and bored with the tediousness of the conversation and waiting for her to read through a flow chart only to advise that I should do a factory reset.

I can send a vcard via SMS if I use a third party app but I really should be able to use the stock option.

Anybody got any ideas?.

18 REPLIES 18

pjb244
From those I know who have Whatsapp they say if they wanted to send me something using it I would have to have it installed too. Anyhow that does not solve the issue with the stock app.

Excuse my ignorance with Whatsapp and most other things I just want to use the current Samsung flagship device as presented.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
But the beauty of an android smartphone is that you thousands of apps available and you don't need to use the stock apps. Try different keyboards such as Swiftkey and messaging apps like Handcent. Try different launchers.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Whilst I appreciate all answers and suggestions I want to operate the phone as provided.  I have found a workaround by using an app but that is all it is, a workaround.  Other networks and phones can use the facility so I am trying to determine if it is a setting on my phone, a software bug, a design flaw or corrupt software.  I have upgraded from a Galaxy S3 and this feature is available.  Utilising a workaround is only masking a possible problem.

hrym

FWIW, I've never managed to send a address information in the form of a vcard by SMS on any device.   I think the thing is that it becomes an attached file, which makes it multi-media and hence MMS.   Because of the layout of the contact info (each line having its own field), you can simply copy from there and paste into an SMS, you have to re-type, which is laborious.

I've also found that I can't send a vcard from the Contacts app on my HTC (don't know if this applies to other brands) by Gmail.   The only option for email that I get is the stock app, which I haven't got setup as I'm using the Gmail one.

pjb244

I raised an issue with my S6 which is now marked as solved but I did not do it.  How can I reverse the green tick?.

63johnw
Hi, I have removed it for you.

pjb244
Galaxy S3 had the option: with a text open, long hold, add text, add contact, select contact details. The contact details were then sent as plain text, no vcard involved. S6 only lets you send vcard. Workaround app lets me send in plain text but not the solution I require.

Have now sent query to Samsung.

I do own a HTC one M7 and I do have the same problem.

Even with MMS apn correctly set up, i can't send a Vcard by text or even a picture so I would agree with the theory that the problem comes from Vodafone

hrym

It's possible that MMS isn't provisioned on your account.  Speak to Customer Services and ask them to check and do this for you if necessary.  Bear in mind that MMS are chargeable.