cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

I'm upgrading to a new phone and need help transferring data.

Yorkshirebones
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I am upgrading from Samsung S4 to S6 and want to transfer my data. I understand how to use Smart switch but I have questions:

which phone needs the SIM card in?

will the photos and videos on the micro SD card in the S4 be transferred?

if the above answer is no, how can I transfer them?

are there any tips/advice about the process generally?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

I don't see why not.  Just unselect the other content if you have that option to avoid the possibility of duplication - it shouldn't happen, but...

FWIW, I'd copy rather than move the originals from the SD card.   That way, if anything goes wrong, you can still get back to where you were.  I always do that, expect for last night when I didn't and the move failed and the originals went AWOL :smileyembarrassed:

(It wasn't totally unrecoverable)

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

hrym

As well as Dropbox, you could also use Google Drive, which you may find gives you more initial space.  Both are cloud storage and will be quite slow and use data (so do it on wifi!).   They're good options for automatic backups, though - you can set either or both to upload photos by themselves.

You could also connect each phone by cable to a computer - if you use Windows and are asked how you want to connect, select external storage so that you can browse the device as another disc drive.   Leave the sd card in the old phone and copy the folders you want to the computer.  Now connect the new one in the same way and simply copy across.   It's a bit more fiddly than automating it, but gives you more control.

It's also worth looking in the main settings menu for the phone (I think it's under Backup and reset) as there may be a Get Content From Another Phone option.   I've used that for call logs and texts, but there were more options as well.

Thanks for the tip. Could I, after the initial transfer of content to the S6, move the photos and videos from the SD card onto the device storage(old S4) then perform a second Smart Switch. And so on until all my photos are mover from SD card to S6 via the S4 device storage?

hrym

I don't see why not.  Just unselect the other content if you have that option to avoid the possibility of duplication - it shouldn't happen, but...

FWIW, I'd copy rather than move the originals from the SD card.   That way, if anything goes wrong, you can still get back to where you were.  I always do that, expect for last night when I didn't and the move failed and the originals went AWOL :smileyembarrassed:

(It wasn't totally unrecoverable)