Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge - Sim Activation Problem

JimmyLJ
4: Newbie

Received new phone on 25/4, popped the SIM in, switched on and waited for it to activate on the network..... No joy, unable to connect, emergency calls only.

Popped on live chat and the agent advised that the account set-up hadn't completed correctly, and this was preventing the SIM from activating.  Escalated the problem to another team and advised that this should be resolved within 24 hours.  As there's no mobile number associated with my account when I log-in, I asked if they could tell me what my phone number would be, unfortunately not as the number is generated when the SIM activation process completes.

Sadly 24 hours later, same problem, so I called customer services.  They confirmed what had been said in the live chat and that the problem had been escalated to one of the technical teams, however advised that would be unable to provide a time scale for resolution of the problem.

Same problem on 27/4, rang again, no update, still escalated with technical team, but there is a phone number registered against my account (although this still isn’t showing online).

Same problem on 28/4, rang again, spoke to an agent, reviewed the problem history and advised that because of the on-going nature of the problem, they would take ownership and arrange for it be passed to one of the technical staff on their team.  Would also waive the first month’s payment.  Great stuff!

Today (29/4) - Phone is still not working.  Tried calling customer services but your IVR appears to change in the evening and the option I need to contact you isn't available.

I have to say that everyone I've spoken to so far has been extremely pleasant and appears to be trying to help with the problem.  I gather from your wait times that you're being bombarded with calls at the moment, so my hat's off to you for remaining calm and professional under pressure.

Having said that, I'm no closer to my issue being resolved :smileysad:.  I've used mobiles for the last 20 years on several different networks, I'm used to the activation process taking two hours at most to complete, and I’m now almost 5 days into the process with Vodafone with no end in sight.  For such a large telecoms company, it beggars belief that you're having so much trouble getting my phone to work.

I've Googled the SIM activation issue, and I can see that there are a lot of posts online from customers who have the same problem, many on this forum.  It looks like the CS reps check these posts, so ideally I'd like one of them to get in touch as they appear to have been able to resolve this fault for other customers.

TLDR:  Can a CS rep please get in touch as I've tried live chat and calling, and I still have an issue that needs resolving.

38 REPLIES 38

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @JimmyLJ

We do send packaging with the returns pack. You'll need to pop into your local Post Office so this can then be returned back to us. 

They'll also give you a receipt, please keep this safe. 

Thanks, 

Kay

Any idea on how long it's going to take for the returns pack to arrive?  It was supposed to be delivered last week.  :smileyfrustrated:  I'm keen to return the phone and sever ties with Vodafone, before starting a contract with a different network.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @JimmyLJ

The returns pack should only take two to five days to arrive. 

If it's been longer, please come and speak to us on Live help.

Thanks,

Ben

The order for the manual collections bag was raised on the 9/5 with delivery for the following week.  I've just got off the phone with 191 and should be receiving a callback within an hour.

Callback received!!!  :smileyhappy: Advised that the issues with the account are still being investigated, and will need to be resolved before the returns pack is actually issued (no eta available for that).  I'll just keep the phone boxed up on the shelf.  Advised that Vodafone will continue to zero out the billing, but I'll leave the direct debit in place until everything is settled, just in case.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @JimmyLJ

Thanks for letting us know this is being sorted.

If you need anything else, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks,

Mark

I'd really like an estimate of how long it's going to take for the account to be fixed.  It's been 11 days since my last post, and 5 weeks since I received the phone.  It's mind boggling that it can take this long to fix a computer glitch.

Hi @JimmyLJ

We’ll be able to check your account notes and see what’s happening and get you and update.

So we can do this, get in touch with our Live help team.

Cheers,

Laura

The phone activated on 10/6.  From being delivered on 25/4, that's a delay of 6½ weeks.  Contacted the returns department, and given the extended time period, the return has to be processed manually.  I should be receiving a collections bag next week (hopefully).  Received a text on 11/6 advising of my bill payment this month, rang billing asked for the money to be credited as the phone was being returned.  Agreed to credit the account, but unable to on the day due to "system issues", promised callback this morning, no callback received.  Rang billing about 10 minutes ago, there are still issues, asked me to callback tomorrow.