Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sending emojis through text

Lannyayres
2: Seeker
I have a Samsung S6 Edge. I have unlimited texts on my contract phone. If I send an emoji through text and it sends as SMS will I be charged?

I understand that some people with older samsung were sending them but they sent as MMS. Just wanted to know if this is still the issue with the new Samsung?
9 REPLIES 9

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Hi @Lannyayres

As long as it sends as an SMS you won't be charged.  

The previous issue you refer to was that some phones (mostly samsung) were converting the messages to MMS which are not included in contracts hence people were getting charged for sending them. The phone would usually tell you if it's converting a message though and you would get additional fields such as "Subject" to fill in.

N

Lannyayres
I have a Samsung S6 Edge. I have unlimited texts on my contract phone. If I send an emoji through text and it sends as SMS will I be charged?

I understand that some people with older samsung were sending them but they sent as MMS. Just wanted to know if this is still the issue with the new Samsung?

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

This is the official Guidence from Vodafone https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Calls-texts-and-voicemail/54514083/Why-have-I-been-charged-for-a-text...

I find it can be a little hit and miss. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

No you should be fine but the easy way to tell is to add an emoji while texting and see what happens. if it instantly changes your text to mms you will have the answer. With my galaxy note 2 as soon as I add an emoji it says "converting to multi media message". if nothing happens you can add then foc.

Perfect! It's saying sms when I send it not mms so I assume it's okay! Just wanted to make sure!

BandOfBrothers

@Lannyayres wrote:
Perfect! It's saying sms when I send it not mms so I assume it's okay! Just wanted to make sure!

Better being safe than sorry. 😎

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

You could also look at the Unbilled section of your online account (maybe give it 48 hours to make sure it's caught up).   If there's no MMS showing, you're fine.   If there is, you know not to do that again!

rebeccanott
1: Seeker

Hi, im getting a s6 edge and thats my main concern about being charged for them. Do you use the one already built into the device or have you downloaded the emoji app? 

hrym

You could also check your online account settings.   If you're on Vodafone's new billing system, you'll have a section called Bars and you can block MMS yourself.   Obviously, that means you can't use them at all but, if you were never planning to, it's worthwhile.