Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

APN settings stopped working on Galaxy S4 after Android update

lnrooney85
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

I'm having a real problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4 ever since the latest Android Update (Kit Kat 4.4.2).

After the update, I got the usual message about "Looks like you've swapped your SIM or updated your software" saying that I'll be sent a text about my settings.

Normally there are 3 or 4 settings options but this time there was just one. I installed this and then afterwards, found that I was unable to use my internet/data on the phone. I've gone into the APN settings and there was only one thing in there. It didn't give me the option on the menu button to add any more, it just said "Reset to default". I did this and now there's nothing there! The little "+" symbol in the top right corner is no use either, I click that and it says "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped".

When I reset the default settings, it asks me if I'm Vodafone Contract or PAYG. I say Contract, and it goes through but still, nothing on the APN page.

I tried send the "WEB" text to 40127 but no response at all. This is extremely frustrating!

Thanks,

Lee

29 REPLIES 29

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

It's looking as though this may be an issue with a recent update and it's been suggested that a factory reset may be the only way to fix it.  Don't forget to back up your content first.   Resetting is generally recommended after a major update, especially with Samsung devices.  It clears out any bits of the old code that may be hanging round and confusing the system.

If there are no APNs, you may be able to get the phone to pull the correct one down by going into Setting|Networks|Mobile Data|(and maybe) More.  If there's an option for Get Settings From Provider, tap that.  I suspect the reset route is the only one, though.

I'm also having the same issue. It only became apparent last night. Can you let me know if a factory reset solves this issue? Backing everything up and re installing will be a royal pain. I wonder if there are many more suffering the same issue since the last update?

Ok, i solved it. It took a factory re set. Luckily I had a memory card in so all contacts, photos, music etc were on there. Im just in the process of re installing the apps i had. But i have a data connection again. 

A

Hi @Aysha_Gomaa 

There's information here regarding this issue.

Hi @Dannnnny4 

Let us know if there's anything we can help with.

Thanks,

Ian

Ian,
As you probably understand, this is very frustrating.

On your e-mail, you ask if there is anything you can do to help.
There is, please give us more information! Is Vodafone working in a real solution, or a Factory Reset is a good solution for Vodafone. If so, it looks like Vodafone does not value much the time of their clients.

I don't want to do a factory reset unless there is no other solution, i.e., i would gladly wait for a couple of days for a reasonable solution than having to do a Factory Reset. I changed my mobile phone recently, and the painfull experience is still fresh in my mind.

Can you please let us know if Vodafone is actually doing anything to help their clients with this issue?

Thanks,
JA

No update for 2 months, no explanation, no answers.

We know that mistakes can be made, why can't you grow some, admit the problem and give some useful information?

Why can we not get a further update or do a software downgrade.

Do you have any idea of the impact of a factory reset????

For me it's about a day's work to reload all of the apps and data that I use.

Hi @bigrobdore

For more infomation on our firmware updates, please see here

If you require immediate support, please get in touch with our Live help team.

Thanks,

Rodney 

Aysha_Gomaa
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I am also having the same problem, so is factory reset the only way of solving this? I really dont want to do this unless its a last resort.

Vodafone, will you be releasing a new update that will fix this anytime soon?

Thanks