Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

APN settings stopped working on Galaxy S4 after Android update

lnrooney85
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

I'm having a real problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4 ever since the latest Android Update (Kit Kat 4.4.2).

After the update, I got the usual message about "Looks like you've swapped your SIM or updated your software" saying that I'll be sent a text about my settings.

Normally there are 3 or 4 settings options but this time there was just one. I installed this and then afterwards, found that I was unable to use my internet/data on the phone. I've gone into the APN settings and there was only one thing in there. It didn't give me the option on the menu button to add any more, it just said "Reset to default". I did this and now there's nothing there! The little "+" symbol in the top right corner is no use either, I click that and it says "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped".

When I reset the default settings, it asks me if I'm Vodafone Contract or PAYG. I say Contract, and it goes through but still, nothing on the APN page.

I tried send the "WEB" text to 40127 but no response at all. This is extremely frustrating!

Thanks,

Lee

29 REPLIES 29

Wipe Cache Partition only worked for me for a short while: follow http://thedroidguy.com/2014/11/samsung-galaxy-s4-problems-issues-errors-glitches-solutions-part-51-1...

APN settings were blank and reset to defaults failed. After wipe cache partition this worked.

Did not lose any data but did lose a few home screen widgets.

I might try the second option today.

bigrobdore
2: Seeker

Typical crefree response from Vodafone - No customer care or value.

I've been hit by this - it is very widespread.

Voda blame Samsung and Samsung blame voda - I have calls recorded today to verify this.

Interestingly, if you reset your cache partition (no loss of data) then go to APN setings and default them, you will recover mobile internet. However this step is followed immediately by a pop up that says "SIM Service" where again you choose Vodafone Contract or Vodafone PAYG. As soon as you select one, it drops the APN and you lose connection again.

Leads me to believe that Voda are not as fault free as they suggest.

The thing that really annoys me is that there is no offer of explanation from voda or samsung.

bigrobdore
So, will we get a straight answer? Did Vodafone or Samsung mess it up?

bigrobdore
And if, as per the statements on the page you link to, you test so rigorously, why are so many of us having this problem?

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bigrobdore 

We appreciate that it's frustrating, however we're unable to provide any further information around firmware updates. 

Thanks, 

Amanda 

why? 

What are you hiding?

I have worked in IT and mobile comms, it's not like the answer doesn't exist.

You either messed up on development or didn't test thoroughly enough.

Why do you refuse to be honest?

Terrible company policy - typical of the Vodafone approach to client care.

Your tag says you're "here to help".

Yet your answers constantly contradict this!

Much the same as RCS draining batteries and hammering phone resource.

get a grip.

I cannot wait to be free of this contract - the best network is becoming a total disaster.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bigrobdore 

I'm sorry you feel this way. 

Take a look at our firmware statement for further info. 

Thanks, 

Amanda 

bigrobdore
Please don't waste our time with that statement..... "It doesn't work, we know it doesn't work but we won't tell you anything about why it doesn't work".
Just like this forum and your so called customer services it's pointless.

Amar-kh1609

Hi,

Back up data -

1) Download Kies 3 to your laptop / PC.

2) Connect device. Make sure its on ''MTP'' mode and not camera mode. (You can check this in the notification panel of the device after connecting the device)

3) Open up Kies 3 and click on ''Backup/Restore''

4) Select all the boxes (Applications, contacts, images etc) and click on ''Back up''

After back up is complete, on the phone go onto ''settings'' and then select ''Accounts'' and the last option should be ''Back up and reset''. Once you click onto that, click on ''Factory data reset'', however make sure you make a note of your Gmail / Samsung account before resetting.

After the reset:

Connect back to Kies, click on ''Backup / restore'' and this time go for restore data. You can then add your APN settings again.

Hopefully this will resolve your issue.