Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

APN settings stopped working on Galaxy S4 after Android update

lnrooney85
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

I'm having a real problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4 ever since the latest Android Update (Kit Kat 4.4.2).

After the update, I got the usual message about "Looks like you've swapped your SIM or updated your software" saying that I'll be sent a text about my settings.

Normally there are 3 or 4 settings options but this time there was just one. I installed this and then afterwards, found that I was unable to use my internet/data on the phone. I've gone into the APN settings and there was only one thing in there. It didn't give me the option on the menu button to add any more, it just said "Reset to default". I did this and now there's nothing there! The little "+" symbol in the top right corner is no use either, I click that and it says "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped".

When I reset the default settings, it asks me if I'm Vodafone Contract or PAYG. I say Contract, and it goes through but still, nothing on the APN page.

I tried send the "WEB" text to 40127 but no response at all. This is extremely frustrating!

Thanks,

Lee

29 REPLIES 29

Aysha_Gomaa
2: Seeker
Thanks Ian,
It has now been over a week since the problem started happening in my phone and 10 days since the page referred to was updated.

When will we get specific information about how to solve this and when will this new update the tech team are working on to solve the current issues be released?

It is very frustrating being left in the dark and no one seems to know anything. Customers on other networks do the seem to have the same problem, do why should we be affected for this long with no repair?

Very disappointed from Vodafone and after 5 years of being a loyal customer, I will really consider leaving when my contract is over.

Hi @Aysha_Gomaa

I can see Ian sent you information regarding this topic, was this of any use?

Alternatively, if you need to speak to an advisor immediately, please use our Live help service.

Thanks,

Rodney

In what world would such a non committal and uninformative piece of utterly useless writing be of any use?

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
Did you factory reset it?

bronzefly
Hi Rodney,

I am suffering the same issue. I cannot access mobile data at all so the only time I have access to the Internet is if I have WiFi. I have been using your Webhelp service and the representative decided just to phone me as nothing was working. He then booked me in for a tech call in the morning.

I then found this forum!!

Surely your staff should know about these problems rather than waste time fixing known issues.

The information Ian sent Aysha says Vodafone are aware of the problem and are working on it. That doesn't help anyone much.

Can you please tell us exactly when this problem will be fixed. I don't want to spend hours moving and saving all my data and then the same time again moving it all back.

Please tell us SPECIFICALLY when this problem will be fixed.

Extremely frustrating.

Thankyou in advance.

Regards,

Irfan

drey_p
I'm afraid that Vodafone won't comment beyond what is in that statement. A factory reset will sort out your issue. Have you done that yet?

PWIAC

bronzefly
Hi Drey, thanks for your reply. I have not done the factory reset purely because I don't have the knowledge or time to save all the data on my phone somewhere, reset it and then upload all the data again. Unless there is a simple way to do this?

I have the same problem, being an Android dev, I have checked the system logs. So it seems the database has changed after the update but the app responsible for managing the APN data has not been updated accordingly. This app tries to insert a value into a column that no longer exist, and it causes the crash.

The factory reset works because the system deletes and recreates the apps instead of updating them.

Could you pass that to the tech team so they can fix it. I have attached the log

bronzefly
Folks, I got frustrated with the problem and then with the lack of any reasonable response from Vodafone. As such, I reset my phone. It took me almost 3 hours and about 40% of my data was lost through another technical glitch. It has fixed the problem but I am unhappy at having had to spend so much time on it and losing so much data (music, photos, sms and aps).

Bear that in mind before resetting. It's not a faultless process either..... 😠😠😠

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi everyone,

As advised this is something that's currently under investigation and we're unable to provide any other information at this time.

The factory reset is a work around for now, just remember to back up the information on your handsets. Alternatively you can visit a store with a memory stick, and they'll do it for you using the Vodafone RED box.

DaveCD