Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 18: Instructor II
JSK73

Re: When will we get ICS on the Samsung GII

Ooops, almost forgot that the above video has age appropriate material and should not be watched by person or persons under the age of 18 years of age.

Sometimes the simple answer is overlooked because it's technology that's complicated!
Message 241 of 790 (7,512 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
Lozgsxr

Situation seems pretty straightforward to me. Vodafone are testing, when they are satisfied they will tell us utnil then a little patience is required.  I am as keen to get the update as the next person but we have to wait.  Hopefull not too long though, O" announced they were ready and started rolling out yesterday (Source, Know your mobile website, link not provided to comply with community rules).

Message 242 of 790 (7,507 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

[ Edited ]

Cheers Tom sorry for dragging you away from the pub :smileywink:

One problem the Eforum has is the same as us and that's information 

they only get told what higher up want to tell them.

There are reports of problems with it on Network versions of the rom 

some networks always use rom updates as one up's on the computation 

Now as the XEU has not come out first there is nothing to compare to.

Now if a network has a problem with a rom, they don't seem to fix it.

At the moment Vodafone have there hand full figuring out the simple fact of getting the rom out to sort the mess of 2.3.5

Now some of the problems are minor and there just normal updating problems e.g. apps being left on from previous 

one thing when the rom is out 

A FULL FACTORY RESET IS A MUST 

some apps are not compatible once the users have done this there sorted 

CPW users that have the XEU version are not complaining yet of any problems.  

I agree were now on the 28th and the last update was on the 13th between then this thread Boomed one problem here is the eforum will leave this alone, the reason for that is who ever comments will then be a target for the double barrels 

so what would help is something like the Australian team do is a regular updated Blog or thread  that people can keep checking, as most have said they would like a problem free rom, Now if Vodafone are trying to figure out the roll out to be transparent and say so if they found some problems to say so. and a simple update to the date helps. 

This would 

A. Improve the confidence customers have with Vodafone 

B. Show Vodafone care about there customers 

C. Shows that Vodafone is fighting for there customers against manufacture that can make mistakes as well

If we had the above this thread would be much more light hearted 

If other networks were having problems we could then sit back and say HA HA HA were OK because when we get the rom it will be fine.

Customers have not got this and never have had this 

Being transparent does not hurt a company as your not hiding any thing 

information is key !!!!

And clearly after Toms coments most ar happy for now, but this will only last for so long !!!

Now This is on Toms raidare and what he says does happen, and he does fight our Corner very well to the powers that be, but I fear sometimes he is banging his head on a brick wall with them , he is then limited to what he can do to help 

Most of the other Vodafone companies in other countries are more transparent 

But as Normal its a British company that does not want us to no what there doing they wont even tell there staff 

but what he does is for the users and the eforum.

This is not a message to the eforum but Vodafone UK 

Your Hurting your customer bass again 

Message 244 of 790 (7,480 Views)
MichaelMucha

When will the Ice Cream Sandwich update for Samsung Galaxy S2 be available?

Posted from Facebook

Message 243 of 790 (7,474 Views)
Rank 22: Tutor I
Jebelious

I think the worst thing a company like Vodafone can do is start to promise dates for software releases, companies often try this and normally always get it wrong. Companies like Google promise that the latest software would always be available on their nexus handsets and guess what? its not...

I think Vodafone are doing the right thing by not over promising and delivering when they deem ready, sometimes bugs will fall through the net however i do not think they will ever share how they test firmware - for all we know stress testing/real life use may not form a part of the testing process.

We should be greatful that Vodafone are as transparent as they are at the moment doing the most they can to offer advice/insight that they are monitoring the firmware testing and that they advise us as soon as it has passed testing.
If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below
Message 245 of 790 (6,741 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
wintee

I agree with Jebelious' post above.

I know we're all keen to get our hands on ICS but at the end of the day I'd rather it was a stable release.

My work colleague just got a new phone and the first thing he did was pull down the latest CM9 build and install it.

His front camera doesn't work, face unlock doesn't work. Video doesn't play.

I'd rather sit it out and wait for something that doesn't brick my phone thank you very much.

As a software developer I can tell you now that announcing dates for software is pretty much a curse on the whole project. You can guarantee that you will find a showstopper right at the last moment and have to make the painful decision of either shipping with the bug or holding off on the release. Whatever you chose to do, you can guarantee that customers won't be happy.

Message 246 of 790 (6,557 Views)
JSK73

Well the HTC Sensation has got it, so I'd assume we'll be next?

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/HTC-Sensation/HTC-Sensation-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-update/td-p/1054873

Sometimes the simple answer is overlooked because it's technology that's complicated!
Message 247 of 790 (6,353 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
vandal157

Re: Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade for GALAXY S II!!!

I am surprised HTC sensation gets an update before Sgs2. I got my galaxy s2 on the 18th of march 2011 and I thought it is common sense to update the galaxy before the sensation.
You have taken video talk away from me in the galaxy buy the HTC still have it.
I will like to know why vodafone is punishing galaxy users. Why? I mean why?
Message 248 of 790 (6,318 Views)
Ennis

Do you really think they're punishing users?

The 'stock' Sensation update was released before the Galaxy S2 update, possibly due to HTC working quicker than Samsung to get it working with their own overlay. 

There's also the many possibilities that they may be finding more issues with the Galaxy update. It could also be that they value the bigger Galaxy user base and are being more robust in their testing process.

I'm as impatient as the next person - I want the update released yesterday - but the Sensation release is in no way a punishment.

Message 249 of 790 (6,304 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
Rapturoso

The Carphone Warehouse are pretty much of the same stance. They have access to the XEU update that was provided to them last week but even the Milton Keynes Express Service Centre are not flashing the software to customer's GS2s. This is information straight from staff and their manager and no exceptions are being made. They also state that the update will only be available for XEU/CPW manual updating from the 16th of April.

After lengthy discussions with the manager and service staff this is the only information that could be attained.
Message 250 of 790 (6,230 Views)
Rank 22: Tutor I
Jebelious

They will want to make sure that it is stable with their hardware and other software addons, they may be taking the same approach to HTC by lowering the amount Touchwiz changes the UI to add improvements to the experience, HTC have done a really good job with their update i hope Samsung do for their customers too :smileyhappy: . No doubt Vodafone will announce when the update has come out of their testing process and is going to launch.

I believe you have to use Keis? never really liked the software and the fact that OTA updates were not available however i would suggest maybe seeing if there is a Keis update to get ready?
If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below
Message 251 of 790 (5,896 Views)
terrywarner

Samsung UK has posted that the long awaited upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2 is still not ready.

Samsung Galaxy S2 owners are starting to lose their cool as they continue to wait for Android 4.0 to hit their handsets – and it looks like the waiting isn't over yet.

Samsung UK posted on its Facebook wall: "Samsung UK is working hard to bring Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) to our Galaxy S II customers.

"We are unable to confirm exact dates as the software testing and approval process is subject to several variables, but we are working as quickly as we can. Thank you for your patience.

This is somewhat of a surprise as we heard that Samsung would start rolling out the update to UK carriers from the 19 March, with customers who purchased an unlocked Galaxy S2 being able to download the update from that date.

This was followed by Three confirming it had started to rollout the Ice Cream Sandwich update to its Galaxy S2 customers on the 20 March.

All very peculiar stuff from Samsung, and it leaves us wondering when we will actually see the Ice Cream Sandwich update for the Galaxy S2.

O2 claims that it will have the update ready for its customers by the end of the month, but with this latest news from Samsung, could it be subject to change?

Message 252 of 790 (5,829 Views)
JSK73

@terrywarner

The O2 update is already out, and looking at their forums it's been generally well received, posters on the forum seem to have managed to sort out the battery drain issue as well.

I'm happy to wait until Vodafone have sorted out all the issues and it has to tell you something that Samsung have STILL not released their generic version for general release.

BUT, if it happens to come out today I'll still be happy!!! :smileylol:

Message 253 of 790 (5,805 Views)
vandal157

I just upgraded my partners phone for her. She uses HTC sensation and I can say 4.03 is almost the same as her gingerbread. No drastic changes.
Only additions are new YouTube, data manager (not that she ever goes over), face lock ( very useless due to the poor front facing camera) and multitask (I like)
Same skins, same animations, same s #%t.
Maybe I'll enjoy it more when vodafone decides to roll out my update on galaxy s2.
Message 254 of 790 (5,292 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

Yep Phone manufacture have killed the ICS with there launchers, The Galaxy Nexus s rocks but not on spec

If some one ports the launcher over they would make a killing as every one would ditch there stock launchers e.g. Touchwiz

windows phone users have the same launcher and all look the same

so why carn't use android, all we can do is down load a launcher 

HTC you can change the theme

Thet have done a good job on the Galaxy S with its last rom 

It shows what they can do when they think about it 

Message 255 of 790 (5,038 Views)
tallmatt1

so if i have an unbranded, sim unlocked phone why can't i get ICS now??

Message 256 of 790 (4,963 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
madhatter2426

Because Samsung haven't released the XEU firmware yet.
Message 258 of 790 (4,906 Views)
pipkinmark

ICS for S2..O2, Orange and 3 already out..vodafone scratching asses again..why?? release..NOW

WHY oh WHY are Vodaslow so darn slow at releasing an upgrade that comes direct from samsung and google. We dont want vodafone advertising added..RELEASE it!!!!

Message 257 of 790 (4,914 Views)
pipkinmark

i don't understand. all my friends on 02,orange and 3 all have ICS. It's always vodafone lagging behind..xeu is for non vodafone phones (from carphone warehouse etc) . Samsung has sent vodafone the ROM but vodaslow just making it worse by adding stuff people don't want. Its been tested on all samsung s2 and works fine as o2 n others just rolled it out.

Message 259 of 790 (4,795 Views)
JSK73

@pipkinmark

Orange have not released ICS to their customers yet (sometime in April).

3's release is great if you want a phone full of bloatware.

O2 seem to have done a good job on their release but there were reports of glitches and battery drain, as mentioned above in previous posts.

XEU is the base standard for the ICS UK release, it's not just for carphone warehouse, etc... customers. I'd guess that the Vodafone release will come either just before the XEU release, as will Oranges'.

As the XEU version has not been officially released yet then it may be that Samsung are taking a proper look at the issues coming back from 3 and O2 before making the final tweaks and rolling it out.

ICS 4.0.4 has been rolled out to certain phones so it may be that 4.0.3 doesn't get released to the masses and we have to wait a bit longer for a stable release if 4.0.3 isn't cutting it.

I admit I'd happily use my phone for Beta testing the ROM but as Vodafone don't offer it we're all stuck with either waiting or flashing to a non-official ROM.

Message 260 of 790 (4,781 Views)