Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 13: Guide II
tonytango

Re: ice cream sandwich for galaxy s2?

welcome to the forum.try reading this first.
http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S2/Android-4-0-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-upgrade-for-GALAXY-S...
blackberry storm 2
nokia n97 mini x6
sony Ericsson satio
htc touch 2
htc hd2
samsung galaxy s x3
nokia e65
htc desire hd x2

so far this year
Message 321 of 790 (5,945 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
winger

What I don't buy about the rubbish that the Samsung guy spouted about making sure all the networks in the UK were happy with the software before XEU was released, is that this has simply not been the case in the past, doesn't appear to be the case in other European countries and didn't stop them releasing the Galaxy S value pack for XEU handsets.

None of this reflects well on Samsung, Google or Vodafone in my view, and will simply encourage users to debrand, change CSCs or just go elsewhere.......

Message 322 of 790 (5,912 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

winger wrote:

What I don't buy about the rubbish that the Samsung guy spouted about making sure all the networks in the UK were happy with the software before XEU was released, is that this has simply not been the case in the past, doesn't appear to be the case in other European countries and didn't stop them releasing the Galaxy S value pack for XEU handsets.

None of this reflects well on Samsung, Google or Vodafone in my view, and will simply encourage users to debrand, change CSCs or just go elsewhere.......

I agree the Galaxy S customers did get the XEU first and networks got it the same time.

Now if there was any problems with network they got sorted and fixed before networks rolled them out.

But what happend was, Networks Bloated the S phone so there was a Mass debrand

The XEU on the S was a better rom and was how samsung wanted it to be and still is, as Networked Galaxy s Phone have not got the Value pack. 

Now I think networks have been leaning on Samsung wanting there roms out first

Or as what happend with the s Orange customer were left behind as Orange had no idea what they were doing, and with the OTA mess up with Vodafone there wanting to sort that

But Samsung need to roll that out as i no there getting alot of unhappy customers but thankfully 2.3.4 was a stable rom

But if Samsung are leaning towards network then that will be a bad move for them

Why they can not do all at the same time

Apple manage it ??? and so do them with the Galaxy Nexus  and the nexus s

Message 323 of 790 (5,599 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
mindiawl

[ Edited ]

Went out last night as its bank hol Sunday with a mate who has a voda contract HTC sensation. I a guy who has been following this thread for 3 whole mother? ######? weeks was so supprised when he told me that he 2 days ago had this thing (yes it meant so little to him) thing called ics ota, My reply was, dont be silly mate as im following the official, I SAID OFFICIAL vodafone thread on this and there is no way you can have it off vodafone as they have not yet relesed it. people its tru he has android 4 ics on his htc cos it was pushed his way by vodafone. we have been left behind by vodafone as they are dishing it out to HTC sensation users. WHO ARE WE? We are only SGS2 users, yes I repete we are only SGS 2 users. Northen DJ please in all your praising heartedly ways dont defend them any more as they have sold us out to HTC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you and good night. Meurig

Message 324 of 790 (5,560 Views)
mindiawl

[ Edited ]

I bet my last input on this thread wil get deleted by vodafone TOM before I get up in the morning cos its not good for this thread!. Tom if you have the ###### please break away from the chains that the people who are paying you have put upon u and explain why voda have favoured HTC, and why you never told us SGS2 faithfuls??

Message 325 of 790 (5,558 Views)
Community Manager (Retired)
Tom

Hi mindiawl, that's not how this forum works. You're free to discuss firmware releases and express your feelings about them, as explained in our firmware statement.

If you read through that post, you'll see that we complete a testing process for all devices before approving firmware. All devices are different, firmware packages are different and so the time required to make them available to customers can be totally different too. The release date for ICS on HTC Sensation has no bearing whatsoever on the release for Galaxy S II. They're totally unrelated. 

Message 326 of 790 (5,413 Views)
Rank 11: Helper V
GoNz0

let me know if you need a tester Tom :smileyhappy:

Message 327 of 790 (5,375 Views)
Northern-dj

mindiawl hi dude, I can see were your coming from 

HTC have pulled out all the stops with ICS and have been doing OTA updates since well ever 

Vodafone with Samsung decided to have a go at OTA with 2.3.5  and it worked for some and not for others so we had some users that did a update via OTA and others that had to Via Kies 

Now Google do the OTA and Samsung do the Kies updates 

This cause a heap of problems for Vodafone and they have been working with both Google and Samsung to fix this mess 

Samsung have also changed how they update phones putting networks first 

They rolled out all the others as they were easy to do via Kies 

As Tom said the HTC senastion is a completly differnt phone some HTC devices still have not got ICS and are now told July 

Galaxy Note users the latest device are not down for ICS until July as well 

so at the moment its down to Samsung and Google to figure out how this is sorted 

Vodafone are pushing to get this sorted 

As soon as Tom here's any thing he will tell us 

Message 328 of 790 (5,077 Views)
mindiawl

Sorry for my attitude and thanks for the explanation.

Message 329 of 790 (5,049 Views)
Northern-dj

mindiawl wrote:

Sorry for my attitude and thanks for the explanation.

Your not the first and I certain 
you will not be the last 

Keep checking in tho 

and take a look round the other threads you may be able to help 

Message 330 of 790 (5,038 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
Bravo6

Re: Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade for GALAXY S II!!!

Sheer disappointment at Vodafone over this, behind the other network providers (3 come on seriously!!) no official statement from anyone at Vodafone with even a hint of when we PAYING customers might even see the update, half way through April and still nothing I know where I will be taking my business at the end of my contract. The other providers will probably be rolling out Chocolate Gateau before we see ICS! Rant over along with loyalty to Vodafone.

Message 331 of 790 (4,701 Views)
schrodinger56

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich on Galaxy s2?

I've got a Vodafone app on my unbranded phone ( I got it from Phones4U) can I delete the app?

Is it there because Vodafone is my current provider.

Thanks
Message 332 of 790 (4,697 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

schrodinger56 wrote:
I've got a Vodafone app on my unbranded phone ( I got it from Phones4U) can I delete the app?

If you can remove it, then there is nothing to stop you doing that. :smileywink:

If you find you can't remove it, then just put it into a Folder.

Wink.gif

Autism_sig.png

Message 333 of 790 (4,642 Views)
ereiamjh

My first experience of Android was a SE Xperia X10 running 1.6 (Donut).

Once we knew that the Froyo Update was upon us, we waited.   And waited.

At the time, It very much felt like this event had caught Vodafone by surprise.   Almost as it they had no idea an update was coming until it landed in someones lap with a post-it attached with "Please Release Me!" written on it.

This feels very muich the same....

Message 334 of 790 (4,584 Views)
Tom

Morning All,

I've just added an update to the statement: Android ICS on Vodafone Samsung Galaxy S II

Thanks again for your patience :smileyhappy:

Tom

Message 335 of 790 (4,371 Views)
Heartmeeting

Hi Tom,

You've said on the official statement "12th February".

Should this perhaps be 12th April?

:smileyhappy:

Message 336 of 790 (4,359 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
proterra

Hi tom , great news but youve put the date as 12th feb, Too many Easter eggs affected your brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 337 of 790 (4,356 Views)
Tom

No fooling you guys is there! Sorry, I've corrected it now :smileyhappy:
Message 338 of 790 (4,349 Views)
schrodinger56

thesoupdragon wrote:

schrodinger56 wrote:

If you can remove it, then there is nothing to stop you doing that. :smileywink:

If you find you can't remove it, then just put it into a Folder.

Wink.gif

it doesn't seem to want to go for some reason, why not?    How do I put it into a Folder and what will doing that do?
Thanks

Message 339 of 790 (4,176 Views)
Lavezzi

Hi there I've been following this thread for some time and I am glad to hear the update is now confirmed and on it's way.

However I have one question to ask regarding data when I upgrade :  Many people talk about data wipe when you upgrade, will that occur when I upgrade? If so how can I back it up?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks all :smileyhappy:

Message 340 of 790 (4,052 Views)