Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 23: Tutor II
Vampfy

Re: Phone not working at all now.

@nyawton

I generally get any stock firmware from SamMobile.com and from what o can see the only open Europe ICS roms on there are the early beta tests. Prior to that xeu (showing as United Kingdom/Ireland) was 2.3.4

I may just be blind though as Dolphin Browser doesn't have a "find on page" feature, bizarrely
Message 641 of 790 (3,428 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
nyawton

I agree. Like you say I could happily go buy a Mac and install Windows on it. This does not void and hardware warranty but understandably the OS would not be supported. At most if it needs a repair it would just be re-installed. Phone companies should take note.
Message 642 of 790 (3,427 Views)
nyawton

Cheers i will hold out on this then. Iv currently got it flashed to the official vodafone release. But would be nice to just remove some unwanted apps :smileyhappy:
Message 643 of 790 (3,424 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

Hi nyawton,

Perhaps I was unclear, I meant when the XEU Official Version is made available.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sad.gif

Autism_sig.png

Message 644 of 790 (3,423 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

[ Edited ]

Spot on soupdragon as always thumbs up.gif

@nyawton

On sammobile Official realses roms show up with a Orange Kies logo

any grayed out  are roms that have not been rolled out Via Kies or OTA  But are still Official roms.

also they may no longer be on the Samsung servers  

Message 645 of 790 (3,421 Views)
Rank 23: Tutor II
Vampfy

Self styled "developers" and rom cooking teenagers like to mess with dangerous things like kernel governers that could potentially destroy your phones processor. Others like to play with battery behaviour which can cause the phone to continued to draw power at full charge from mains, overheat then - again - destroy your phone or even burn your house down!

Its a dangerous thing to play with things like that, so I kinda agree with manufacturers, to an extent.
Message 646 of 790 (3,411 Views)
nyawton

[ Edited ]

thesoupdragon wrote:

Hi nyawton,

Perhaps I was unclear, I meant when the XEU Official Version is made available.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sad.gif

Ah i see :smileyhappy: no probs all is clear now. Ill hold out untill then, Just glad to be on ICS :smileyhappy:
Cheers again to all. Been a great forum, lots of help

Message 647 of 790 (3,410 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
Rapturoso

ICS versions

If it is a case of the official XEU not being available then this would explain my constant restarts, force closes and severe battery drain. A couple of weeks ago I saw a "new" GS2 on sale and the seller advertised it as having XEU ICS. After that I got mine updated to XEU ICS which now I understand it most likely the beta. Roll on the release date for CPW ICS Kies updates... In the meantime I'm going to try CM9 with the ROM counter bypass trick that's just been mentioned B-)
Message 648 of 790 (3,397 Views)
anpease

Phone not working

@soupdragon

I have tried the files as suggested,usingOdin,and it comes up as "failed".

It says "Complete (write) operation failed"

Don't know if this matters or not,but the icon on my screen of "phone and PC" has an orange triangle between them, not yellow.

Many thanks..

Message 649 of 790 (3,333 Views)
Rank 13: Guide II
tonytango

hi soup,i have installed this rom via odin on my son's gs2 now when i connect it to kies I'm getting a message that says 'Your device does not support software upgrading via Kies'

any idear  why ?

blackberry storm 2
nokia n97 mini x6
sony Ericsson satio
htc touch 2
htc hd2
samsung galaxy s x3
nokia e65
htc desire hd x2

so far this year
Message 650 of 790 (3,284 Views)
Rank 11: Helper V
GoNz0

[ Edited ]

i would not let that bother me Tony, just get the 4.0.3 rom from samfirmware and flash that, job done!

anyone who is worried about the flash counter can reset it for £1.75 until the cows come home :smileyhappy:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/220900901267?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

Message 651 of 790 (3,280 Views)
GoNz0

Re: Phone not working

[ Edited ]

anpease wrote:

@soupdragon

I have tried the files as suggested,usingOdin,and it comes up as "failed".

It says "Complete (write) operation failed"

Don't know if this matters or not,but the icon on my screen of "phone and PC" has an orange triangle between them, not yellow.

Many thanks..

i suggest a trip here http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1055

they will assist in recovering from a bad flash.

Message 652 of 790 (3,275 Views)
Rank 13: Guide II
tonytango

4.0.3 is the rom that i flashed.

blackberry storm 2
nokia n97 mini x6
sony Ericsson satio
htc touch 2
htc hd2
samsung galaxy s x3
nokia e65
htc desire hd x2

so far this year
Message 653 of 790 (3,265 Views)
GoNz0

job done then m8, you cant at the current time upgrade any further from kies :smileyhappy:

in the next release it will change its mind.
Message 654 of 790 (3,257 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
sabre1982

Hello All,

I've been running the official VF ICS ROM since it was released yesterday. So far, it's not too bad.

Not being a fan of TouchWiz, one of the first things I did was download Apex Launcher in order to get as close to the stock ICS interface as possible. It's a vast improvement over TouchWiz.

There are a couple of things that are bothering me though... 

1. The OS seems to be using a lot more RAM that it did when it was v2.3.5. I guess that's to be expected though as ICS is quite a step forward.

2. I've getting a flashing red box appearing on the screen. It appears around the edges of the screen and is highly annoying. Has anyone else seen this? A Google search hasn't given me much, other than a couple of mentions from users who flashed pre-release versions of ICS. 

Message 655 of 790 (3,151 Views)
elmarkko

Morning guys...
1st time poster! I've had the GS2 for 6mths now. Been through Gingerbread 2.3.3, 2.3.4 & 2.3.5.
Waited for I.C.S for weeks. Finally got her last night, ran back up etc, (Everything copied fine apart from the Webpage bookmark/password stuff) anyway... I'm having real problem connecting to wifi after this update as i cant change my IP address! The option the phone is trying to use is the same as my laptop... any idea how to change this on ICS for the GS2? Ta!?
Message 656 of 790 (3,150 Views)
GoNz0

elmarkko wrote:
Morning guys...
1st time poster! I've had the GS2 for 6mths now. Been through Gingerbread 2.3.3, 2.3.4 & 2.3.5.
Waited for I.C.S for weeks. Finally got her last night, ran back up etc, (Everything copied fine apart from the Webpage bookmark/password stuff) anyway... I'm having real problem connecting to wifi after this update as i cant change my IP address! The option the phone is trying to use is the same as my laptop... any idea how to change this on ICS for the GS2? Ta!?

i use lan setup on my router to assign an ip to the mac of the device in question.

that way it gives a fixed ip within my network but will auto assign out and about.

Message 657 of 790 (3,127 Views)
elmarkko

Thanks for the quick reply mate...
Still having no luck. :smileysad:
The phone will connect if it's restarted/switched on but the moment i manually switch the wi-fi off and on again it will "SEE" the wi-fi networks but wont connect. :smileysad:
Message 658 of 790 (3,105 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
chriscjp

Is ICS a gradual release? I mean is it available to ALL VF customers right now? I ask as I've checked for the update OTA & nothing is yet available. I've also tried to use Kies on the laptop, I enter the serial number & then GT-I9100 & it says 'GT-I9100 doesn't support initialising', unless I'm doing something wrong?

I'm in no rush to update, but I would like to know an answer to the above.:smileyhappy:

Message 659 of 790 (3,101 Views)
elmarkko

Hey Chris, depends on where yo got your GS2 from mate.
Most VF direct customers should be able to Update via kies.
3rd party phones (carphone warehouse/phones4u etc) can 't at the moment.
Try updating your kies version mate.
Message 660 of 790 (3,095 Views)