Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

Re: Android 4.0 update for Samsung Galaxy S2

[ Edited ]

Just some info from the Crave team at Cnet

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/galaxy-s2-sim-free-owners-last-to-get-ics-samsung-admits-50007550/

this is for XEU users

I reported this before cnet got hold of it 

It seems that the team that look after the S2 are doing things in reverse order then on the Galaxy S 

Now I think this is just to improve Networks roll out 

or its networks saying they want it first possibly to stop de branding 

well I no that the S2 users on three are waiting desperately as three have Bloated up to the MAX

Even tho your a Vodafone user Please read, it may answer some questions you may still have 

Message 281 of 790 (17,692 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
JSK73

Nice to see ICS is imminent for Voda in that story.

Sometimes the simple answer is overlooked because it's technology that's complicated!
Message 282 of 790 (17,683 Views)
Northern-dj

[ Edited ]

Yep fo all that can not be botherd to read

" Stanford added. "Vodafone we're expecting imminently [to release ICS]. Open market will be once we've got all of the operator pieces on board... It'll come at very much the same time."

This is direct from the Main PR Manager of Samsung mobile 

So Not long Now they didn't mention the OTA problems but i got a email saying they have come up with a fix and there making sure that works 

So fingers crossed 

He has said that they don't want the XEU to be a priority but Every one gets the update at the same time 

Well we have herd this before 

Alot still boils down to networks getting there act together 

But I think they should of said all this sooner so we all new what was going on 

Message 283 of 790 (17,665 Views)
Rank 11: Helper V
GoNz0

i did hope it wouldn't take voda long as they have already released to another phone iirc, needless to say I have not slapped on a modded version just yet.
Message 284 of 790 (17,653 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
mtcsltd

ICS update news

Here's an interesting article on CNET UK about the SGS2 ICS upgrade....

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/galaxy-s2-sim-free-owners-last-to-get-ics-samsung-admits-50007550/

Seems like Vodafone's implementation is coming soon. My KIES software updated to 2.3.0.12035_16 today, so perhaps that an indication that things are moving.

Message 285 of 790 (17,576 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
Heartmeeting

Re: ICS update news

[ Edited ]

On the new Kies update,  I am being required to turn on USB debugging before Kies will recognise my phone.

It's a start - at least I feel like I am doing something!

Saying that, it's struggling to install the device software...

:smileyhappy:

Message 286 of 790 (17,431 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
mindiawl

Hi, I will firstly apologies if I have missed this in previous questions, but I have gone through it all and can't find it asked, so if I missed it then please don't bite my head off (As has been happening on this thread a few times lately) .

I have a galaxys2 that I received from vodafone 6 months ago on a 24 month contract, its on gingerbread 2.3.5 BUKI1    2.6.35.7-I9100BUKJ3-CL647431 ROOT@DELL155 #2.

Im very exited about the ics and follow this thread every day. 

However I don't think my sgs2 is branded to vodafone because when I boot it up there is no vodafone branding appearing like how an sgs2 on orange does.

It did have vodafone APS like vodafone 360 but it allowed me to delete them.

Does this mean that I don't have a vodafone sgs2 and will have to waite much longer for ics as my handset is a sim free version?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Meurig

Message 287 of 790 (17,385 Views)
madhatter2426

Your firmware is Vodafone so yes it's branded.
Message 288 of 790 (17,374 Views)
Heartmeeting

Hi Minidiawl

It is Vodafone spec but you are right - there is no Vodafone splash screen on boot-up.

If you plug it into Kies the code will show with the suffix VOD.  This is short for Vodafone.

Hope this helps!

Message 289 of 790 (17,373 Views)
mindiawl

Wow thanks for that. can i ask what from the details i supplied told you it was branded?

Message 290 of 790 (17,356 Views)
Heartmeeting

Kies after update to latest version today works fine syncing to phone on Windows 7.

Failed horrendously on Vista as it couldn't install device drivers once I plugged the phone in and then had to turn on USB debugging.

Online research showed uninstall/reinstall of Kies *may* fix the problem - but I have the luxury of two computers and Win7 appears to be fine.

YMMV...

Message 291 of 790 (17,353 Views)
mindiawl

Hi heartmeeting yes it says vod there, something learnt every day. thanks

One more question, my son has the sgs 2 branded to orange but its actually unlocked and has a vodafone sim in it? 

When will he get his update?

Thanks

Message 292 of 790 (17,350 Views)
Rank 11: Helper V
GoNz0

who knows, but if vodafone release it 1st you can soon flash to vodafone firmware, lots of guides floating about.
Message 293 of 790 (17,161 Views)
Northern-dj

[ Edited ]

To the Branding question well done guys for helping there

thumbs up.gif

Just to follow On !!

On Vodafone were lucky then other networks ( did I just say that !!!)

Vodafone have learnt Not to go Brand Heavy

They upset loads of customers in the past on the HTC desire and then the Galaxy s

But this was not well implemented and caused more problems, this is when Bloatware was formed !!!!.

But on a upside  it helped Build the forum to what it is today so that was the only good thing !!

Now I work on Samsung devices daily

Now Vodafone ditched  there Boot up screen ( thank goodness !!!) when gingerbread came out and a lot of there Bloatwaere.

But they still had trial apps (Junkware)

Now Vodafone did Listen!!! To there users

Now they  have spend loads of wasted money on the firmware and apps, they did have the Vodafone 360 which has now gone.

So what do you now get well one app called my Vodafone and basically a pretty much stock rom as Samsung want (Nice!!!)

Unless they forget a setting

This does make it faster for them to test a rom as well

So what do the others get

OH DEAR !!!!!Dooooh.gif

Three is the worst ever ! they get a slow 3 boot screen and a lot of there Hub apps, and trial junk. T

hese can not be un-installed this is the same for Orange and o2,also there phones are Locked to there network

so when it comes to re sale they have to be De branded and unlocked.

Were as a Vodafone S2 will work on any other network and is not locked, so you can pass it down or still keep it !!!

Now Vodafone has a major selling point here and also has made the transition easier for a Apple user making the BIG Change!!!

I can now see some good things coming from this as you guys are now helping each other

thumbs up.gif

So what will Vodafone offer Now ???

Well they have been testing something new and some have seen this, instead of ramming rubbish on our phones

were going to be getting a section on the Google market only for Vodafone users !!!

This will have apps just for us this is still being worked on .....

So Vodafone S2 Users can now say to there mate on other network that there rom is better then there's

when you get it that is !!!

This was just to follow on what I no that has happened and is happening at Vodafone

and there is a lot more good stuff to come

Message 294 of 790 (16,923 Views)
Northern-dj

mindiawl wrote:

Hi heartmeeting yes it says vod there, something learnt every day. thanks

One more question, my son has the sgs 2 branded to orange but its actually unlocked and has a vodafone sim in it? 

When will he get his update?

Thanks

as mentioned before

You can do this your self and there is a Guid on here which a user called Soupdragon did that takes you throught the stages it was done foe people to go back to 2.3.3 but its the same idea

after the rom has been put on

You then need to change the CSC (Customer Sales Code) To VOD this means Vodafone take over the updating

It sounds scarry but its not and trust me i have de branded alot of orange phones and it will feel like a new phone after

The full guide is found

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S2/How-To-Roll-Back-to-2-3-3/td-p/972043

this is handy as well if flashing does not go well via Kies

Message 295 of 790 (16,914 Views)
mindiawl

Wow thanks very much for the info.
Message 296 of 790 (16,738 Views)
mindiawl

My other sons sgs2 when plugged in to Kies says (XEU) after all the numbers.where mine says (VOD) and my other sons says (ORA) does (XEU) mean its un branded?

Message 297 of 790 (16,250 Views)
madhatter2426

Yes xeu is unbranded.
Message 298 of 790 (16,237 Views)
mindiawl

Thanks.

Message 299 of 790 (16,228 Views)
AlanBeattie

Ice Cream Sandwich update for Galaxy S2 Release Date

Posted from Facebook
When will Vodafone release this? It's utterly disgraceful it's not available yet.
Message 300 of 790 (16,186 Views)