cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Any S4 owners using Draytek ADSL router? Does L2TP VPN work?

pb3000
5: Helper

Hi all,

Long shot but I'm wondering whether any S4 owners use a Draytek Vigor 2800 or higher ADSL router?

These routers have built-in VPN server functionality. I've successfully configured my router so that I can establish an L2TP VPN into my home network using my IPad's VPN client.. I can establish this VPN over BT Openzone Wifi or the Vodafone 3G network.

However I'm unable to establish an L2TP VPN using my S4's VPN client. It times out. I can establish a PPTP VPN but this is much lower security.. The Vodafone network is not the issue as my Ipad can connect using its own data connection, and it also connects if I tether it to the S4's 3g connection.

So - the problem appears to lie either with my router's VPN server implemenation or Android's L2TP VPN client (or both!)

Has anyone one the forum successfully managed to establish an L2TP VPN using their S4 or other Android phone?

10 REPLIES 10

Retired-PaulE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi pb3000, 

I wanted to jump on to let you know we're not ignoring you but this isn't something we can recreate to test.

Hopefully one of our other fantastic forum members can help you out :smileywink:

Paul

@PaulE wrote:

Hi pb3000, 

I wanted to jump on to let you know we're not ignoring you but this isn't something we can recreate to test.

Hopefully one of our other fantastic forum members can help you out :smileywink:

Paul

No problem PaulE - as I said this is a longshot  :Smiling:

I'm hoping someone on the forum has tried this particular use case, in particular with one of the later Draytek models such as the Vigor 2830 - it is possible that the VPN server in the later Draytek models works better.

I'll try my luck on the Draytek support forums as well.

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

WOW !!! you will probs find not many want to do this 

Data capping and all 

if you see

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/information-services/services/computing/desktop-personal/vpn...

Now each phone does this the same but in a round about way 

the S range need a password for one 

then follow

How to Configure
  • Open the menu and choose Settings
  • Select Wireless and Network or Wireless Controls, depending on your version of Android
  • Select VPN Settings
  • Select Add VPN
  • Select Add L2TP/IPsec PSK VPN
  • Select VPN Name and enter a descriptive name
  • Select Set VPN Server and enter a server hostname:
    • chicago.vpnreactor.net - Middle U.S.
    • ny.vpnreactor.net - East Coast U.S.
    • nl.vpnreactor.net - The Netherlands Europe
    • seattle.vpnreactor.net - North West U.S.
    • lax.vpnreactor.net - Southern California
    • denver.vpnreactor.net - Middle U.S.
  • Select Set IPSec pre-shared key and enter "VPNReactor"
  • Uncheck Enable L2TP secret
  • Open the menu and choose Save
How to Connect
  • Open the menu and choose Settings
  • Select Wireless and Network or Wireless Controls, depending on your version of Android
  • Select the VPN configuration from the list
  • Enter your username and password (use correct capitalization)
  • Select Remember username
  • Select Connect
  •  

Hope this helps

If not see

http://www.bestvpn.com/blog/4275/using-vpn-with-a-samsung-galaxy-s3/

Its the same as the S3

Thanks for your reply Nortern-dj. I'm afraid I've been there done it as far as the L2TP-PSK settings are concerned, but sill no joy on the S4. The logs on the router appear to show the S4 setting up the tunnel but then it times out.

The settings I'm using work on my Ipads. When I have time I will try L2TP with X509 certificates from my Windows Home Server.

Posts that I've come across appear to suggest that the Android L2TP client is broken in later versions - not sure. PPTP works fine and I'm using that at the moment.

I should be getting a more modern Draytek 2850 modem/router early next week and I will give this a go.

I guess I,m paranoid but I always use VPN when connecting to Public Wifi networks - indeed BT Openzone recommend this and provide a VPN profile for the iOS and a free customised version of the Cisco VPN client for Windows. I trust my home network and always VPN into this and browse the web from there.

pb3000
5: Helper

Well since there appears to be huge interest in this thread (over 700 views! :smileysurprised:) I thought I'd give the community an update.

I recently got a good deal on Ebay on a later model Draytek 2850n router, which has a formidable feature set and is compatible with both ADSL and VDSL. I struggled at first with getting VPN going at all - only PPTP worked initially, but then after an email conversation with Draytek support I figured out that that the problem was related to the complexiity of my setup. My setup involves using multiple static public IPs and NAT at the same time. Changes in the user interface of the 2850n vs the 2800 did not help either.

To cut a long story short - creating a couple of VLANs on the 2850n got me going. With the 2850n I can now establish L2TP VPNs with IPSec policy from both my Galaxy S4 and iPad to my home network. In addition I can now use AES encryption - with my old 2800 only 3DES worked. The overhead of the VPN does not appear to impact performance of web browsing over either 3G or Wifi.

What's more the 2850n appears a lot better at handling ADSL2+ than the legacy 2800VG.  My ADSL speed has increased by almost 75%. since I switched to the 2850n. I'm a very happy bunny! XMas has come early :smileyvery-happy:

amalVPN
1: Seeker

Use (Removed according to House Rules) for Android with unlimited usage to unblock sites freely without any restrictions troubles. It will proivde 8 servers to choose between them for more easier unblocking. You can use it also in iOS devices via

(Removed according to House Rules)

Jenna1994

I think most of the VPNs work on all types of routers, but mostly I prefer Private Internet Access and WaselPro, they both allow L2TP VPN to work in most of the routers.

Katie808

Hi,

I have an S4 and I had issues setting up my vpn using L2TP, too, but I followed the instructions here and it works just fine now.

arezoo

Actually I can recommend using bVPN service with its simple L2TP setups . According to my bVPN service provider using L2TP VPN service is applicable with all Android mobiles and tablets. It is also suitable for Windows, Mac and IOS with the same VPN account.