Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Adam86

Can't make calls (rings once then hangs up)

Having this problem on my 3month old Galaxy S.

Everything was ok, not great as ive always found this found to be laggy and glitchy as hell compared to previous phones ive had. But oh well.

Anyways, over the last week or so its not letting me make phone calls, it will ring once and then hang up. It may do this all day and then suddenly work fine the next time i try it, which is highly annoying and could be quite an issue if the phone was ever needed in an emergency!

An ideas on this? Its on the original Galaxy S Android system (2.1 i think?)

Cheers

Message 1 of 15 (7,976 Views)
Rank 41: Professor V
thesoupdragon

Re: Can't make calls (rings once then hangs up)

[ Edited ]

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the eForum :smileyhappy:

The quickest way to find out if you have a software or Hardware problem is to perform a Factory Reset.

This will restore your phone to the Day you bought it.

All software problems will be removed, and your phone will feel snappy again. If the problems remain, then it is most likely a hardware fault and should be returned for repair.

You can reset from:

Menu > Settings > Privacy > Factory Reset.

Back up all your media, contacts etc. 

tsd. :smileywink:

Banner.png

Message 2 of 15 (7,974 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
dnairb001

Hi Adam,

If you haven't already done the factory reset then you could try switching the phone to GSM only to see if it makes a difference. I have similar call problems on a regular though intermittent basis and it affects several different handsets. I found that switching to GSM only makes a big difference. My daughter was also told to do this by VF customer services when she rang to complain about a similar issue.

Message 3 of 15 (7,968 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

as dnairb001 said try gsm i had the same on my omnia you will find its your 3g signal you will have full signal but it just does not work 

Message 4 of 15 (7,963 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
ado28

Also give your sim card a quick clean but if your on 2.1 update1 firmware then your way behind and seriously need to plug it in to kies and get the latest firmware on it and it will go like stink!

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 5 of 15 (7,952 Views)
Adam86

[ Edited ]

Hi all. Thanks for your quick replies.  Ive changed it onto GSM and will see how it behaves today.  Im just in the middle of a house move so have no idea where my usb cable is, so cant use KIES at the minute. I will update it asap though if its definently worth doing.

Do you lose your media/contacts/messages when you do an update?

Will having it on GSM have an effect on any things on the phone? Internet etc?

Cheers

Message 6 of 15 (7,942 Views)
Northern-dj

Adam86 wrote:

Hi all. Thanks for your quick replies.  Ive changed it onto GSM and will see how it behaves today.  Im just in the middle of a house move so have no idea where my usb cable is, so cant use KIES at the minute. I will update it asap though if its definently worth doing.

Do you lose your media/contacts/messages when you do an update?

Will having it on GSM have an effect on any things on the phone? Internet etc?

Cheers

Yes you do you need to back them up but if your on 2.2 i would staythere as the new firmware is a mess and you can not choose gsm only. So if it does work fine then you need to tacle the tecnical department good look with that...

Message 7 of 15 (7,938 Views)
Adam86

Is there any issue with me just leaving it on GSM permanently?

I wont lose any phone functions or anything?

Im going do an update to 2.2 then the next time i get chance to use KIES software, hopefully the software is working ok because the last time i used it it refused to connect to my phone correctly and i couldnt back up anything but messages.

Message 8 of 15 (7,931 Views)
dnairb001

GSM is effectively old tech or 2G, whereas GSM/WCDMA auto is the preferred setting as it uses 3G tech where possible. 3G is supposedly better, and is superior when it comes to using internet and data applications. I tend to leave mine on GSM if I'm likely to be making a number of calls.

If you are thinking of doing an upgrade to 2.2.1, you need to check if you are on VF branded firmware as the latest VF update does away with the GSM option, you DON'T want the latest VF branded update. If yours is unbranded then Kies should offer you JPY I believe, though I'm sure either Ndj, TSD or Ado will be able to advise and assist you far more than I can with any upgrades you need or choose to do. I'm on JPY which is unbranded, does still have the issue with calls dropping when using 3G or GSM/WCDMA auto but other that and another minor issue it's great and the phone flies.

Message 9 of 15 (7,927 Views)
Adam86

So whats "JPY", sorry im new to the whole version names etc where Android is concerned. lol

Im currently on 2.1 update 1, so shall i plug it in, run Kies and see what it offers me?

Message 10 of 15 (7,914 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
ado28

JPY is the latest Froyo rom 2.2.1.

Your still on Eclair :smileysad: which is sooooo last year lol

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 11 of 15 (7,908 Views)
Rank 14: Guide III
jimc130

2.1 update1? And you have had it only 3 months? Where did you get it from?

SGS I9000
Rom : CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

Message 12 of 15 (7,905 Views)
dnairb001

Your best bet would be to hold fire with any update from Kies. If you are on VF branded firmware,which I think 2.1 update 1 is then you could be offered the latest update that has caused a number of people on here a lot of grief. If you can wait a while longer then the best option would possibly be to wait for Gingerbread which is rumoured to be due out in the not to distant future. If you want to upgrade sooner then I would suggest your best option would be to use Odin and flash JPY or another non VF branded firmware. There are plenty of guides on here that will help you, along with some very knowledgeable guys as well.

You just need to say what you want to do :smileywink:

Message 13 of 15 (7,897 Views)
Northern-dj

[ Edited ]

Adam86 wrote:
So whats "JPY", sorry im new to the whole version names etc where Android is concerned. lol

Im currently on 2.1 update 1, so shall i plug it in, run Kies and see what it offers me?
in a word NO!!!
you have missed a update which was 2.2 froyo 
as they have said 2.1 update 1 is Vodafone it shall be remembered in informy ...... No it won't !!!!! we were glad to see the back of it ,but it looks like you have not plugged it in kies or you version of kies is out of date ( You can update that!!!!!)
But the problems your having are not the firmware 2.1 was stable ish bar the bloatware, this will not affect phone calles 
Now JPY firmware were all on about is what non branded Galaxy s customers have, were they but the phone upfront from carphone warehouse, Now your phone is on VOD Firmware if you bought this secound hand then you need to debrand it, If your on Vodafone then it is up to you what you do but it voids your warrenty with them.
Now if you wont to stay with them hold on until vodafone roll out another firmware which i think they will as soon as they can cos the last one is a mess.

Message 14 of 15 (7,887 Views)
melissa-gurney

I have recently had the very same problem with my Sony XperiaZ (would call a number and then cut off after the first ring). It began happening 3 days ago after no software changes etc. Config settings were all ok on phone. I also tried the sim in another handset and had the same issue (ruling out my handset being at fault). The thing that solved the problem was by changing the preferred network mode to GSM only. Now everything appears to be working fine.

Message 15 of 15 (2,047 Views)