cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't set the Text Message Centre number.

Scim
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have just bought a new Samsung Galaxy S3 and am having trouble with the text centre number. I can set it manually to +447785016005 and all is fine until I turn the phone off. When I turn the phone back on the text centre number has reset to +7 (yes, just +7!).

I'm not sure whether the text centre number is downloaded from the network to the phone or stored in the SIM and transferred to the phone each time the phone is turned on. Perhaps you could clarify this.

I share the SIM between two phones and have had the constant nagging configuration messages (sent each time I changed the SIM) stopped by Vodafone. Neither phone now automatically sets the text centre number. Could it be that I have lost essential Vodafone configuration messages as well as those not required? Could it be a faulty SIM?

I have tried both an O2 SIM and an EE SIM and they work perfectly.

Any help gratefully received.

12 REPLIES 12

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Please try texting the word WEB to 40127 as this should install the correct settings onto your phone.  I'm hoping that will make the correct message centre get saved on your phone.

Have you recently installed any third party messaging Apps?

PWIAC

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'll try your suggestion, hopefully it will fix the problem.

:smileyhappy:

I've tried texting WEB to 40127 as suggested and received a configuration message exactly the same as those I have already stopped. Unfortunately this hasn't addressed the problem of the text centre number resetting itself to +7.

It seems strange that the number is resetting to the international code for Russia when I'm in the UK. Can anyone tell me whether the text centre number is downloaded to the phone from the web or the SIM, please? It might be a indication of where to look next.

Thanks for your help.

hrym
17: Community Champion

If the phone is within the 7 day cooling off period, you can simply ask for a replacement.  If it's longer, it will only be repaired.

I don't think the message centre number is part of the APN settings and afaik, it's acquired from the network.

Can you try going into Setting|Networks and then choosing something other than Vodafone.  Give it a few minutes, then repeat the process, choosing Vodafone.  This will force the phone to re-register with the network and might sort the issue out.

If that doesn't work, the next port of call might be a replacement SIM, which you can order from 191 or a Vodafone shop can supply and activate for you.

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Scim,

The message centre number is embedded into the SIM.

As you’ve mentioned, your current SIM may be faulty.

I’d suggest popping to a Vodafone store to pick up a free of charge replacement.

Make sure any contacts you have on the SIM have been transferred to your phone.

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks

Andrew

so when you open up the Message app then press settings and scroll down to were the number is and press on the number nothing happens ??

Mine says +447 and this is stored on the sim 

has another simm been in this phone ?

Were did the phone come from ?

hrym

@Andrew wrote:
The message centre number is embedded into the SIM.

Since most of us just dial 121 to access voicemail, does the message centre number matter?  Other than abroad in coutnries where 121 doesn't work?

121 is fine for voicemail, but this doesn't help when you're trying to send a text message. :smileywink:

hrym

@Scim wrote:

121 is fine for voicemail, but this doesn't help when you're trying to send a text message. :smileywink:

Doh!  Sorry, getting my number mixed up there!