Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
mattcarr

Charging issues

Hi,

I put on my phone to charge overnight and it only charged by an extra 10%!  It was in the socket securely and I used the supplied charger.

The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't charge after I have received an notification (I got an email midway through the night).

Also, When I'm charging the phone but using it, the LED light turns off, so I don't think it's charging then either (in fact this morning, it went down by 1%).

Is it a problem with my phone or are my settings wrong?

Message 1 of 8 (1,943 Views)
Rank 46: Oracle V
jeffkinn

Re: Charging issues

The LED does turn off when you are using the phone but it should still be charging. If you have the lightning symbol in the battery icon at the top that means the phone is charging even though you are using it. Receiving a notification will not or should not stop the phone from charging.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 2 of 8 (1,937 Views)
Rank 41: Professor V
thesoupdragon

Hi mattcarr

welcome to the eForum.

The Charging light does go off during use, that is normal. It will still be charging though!

During use the incoming charge may not match the process being used. Such as SatNav on the Phone can use the same amount of power as being put into the phone, as an example.

Make sure the cable going into the mains charger is securely pushed in as well as at the phone end!

Perhaps you need a replacement charger? You will need one that outputs 1000mA (1.0A).

I would recommend an official Samsung charger to be on the safe side.

TimDroid-wink-small.png

Banner.png

Message 3 of 8 (1,933 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
mattcarr

Thanks for that.  I'm not sure why then that the battery decreased while I was using it as it was plugged it?  Not sure if I have the settings incorrect, but can't see why it would stop charging over night for no reason. 

Message 4 of 8 (1,932 Views)
Rank 50: Grand Master
drey_p

Have you tried charging your phone switched off??  If you shut it down and put it on charge, it should add power to the battery.  If it doesn't there is either a problem with the charger or the battery.

Has my post helped you? If so please click the Thumbs Up button!
:smileywink:
Message 5 of 8 (1,921 Views)
thesoupdragon

[ Edited ]

I don't charge mine through the night so can't be sure...?

With the SGS1 when the phone reached 100% charge, charging would stop, and the phone would continue to use power as if it were unplugged. Only when the cable was removed and replaced would charging begin again.

I put my phone into aeroplane mode through the night and it loses 1%. I don't need to be able to recieve calls through the night though! The Alarm still works however.

Banner.png

Message 6 of 8 (1,916 Views)
Rank 46: Oracle V
jeffkinn

I do charge mine all night and when I come downstairs in the morning the battery is at 100% so the phone must continue to charge even when the battery is full.

Sometimes, but not always, there is a notification advising me that the battery is fully charged and that the charger should be disconnected.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 7 of 8 (1,910 Views)
thesoupdragon

Thanks for the confirmation jeff. :smileywink:

I think definitely try a different charger 1st. If that doesn't improve then if you are over the 7 day trial period you should arrange a free warranty repair.

You can use Vodafone's repair service or go directly to Samsung.

TimDroid-wink-small.png

Banner.png

Message 8 of 8 (1,908 Views)