You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

Connecting to BT OpenZone

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy SII, but I cannot connect to BT Openzone Wifi.

I have 2GB free included in my plan.

I can select the hotspot in the wifi settings menu, it then comes up as ''connected'

When I go in to the internet and go to BT Openzone's web page, I have the option to select the service provider 'Vodafone UK' which takes me to a Vodafone branded screen requesting my username and password. However when I enter 'my account' username and pass it comes up and says 'sorry there was an error logging in'...

I have completed the wifi registration and received an email from Vodafone asking me to click to confirm which I have done.

I would be grateful if someone from Vodafone could get back to me as it is quite frustrating to have 2GB as part of my plan which I seemingly cannot use... especially since I am also having problems accessing unbilled data usage (see post in pay monthly forum)

Cheers,

Sean

Message 1 of 14 (10,342 Views)
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Re: Connecting to BT OpenZone

Hi seanefc,

Is the hotspot one that shows up on this map? http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/

It needs to be one with a red BT Openzone logo, not the dark blue ones or FON ones. If it's definitely a red one, let us know and we'll look into it :smileyhappy:

Tom
Message 2 of 14 (10,283 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III

Right Here we go again we have coverd this in other threads but with the help Of Tom or should i say TOM

We have got to the bootom of this

Firts thing is the Vodafone support page needs a regige they no about that secound it has to be the right open zone 

Confused well Here we go you need to search on 

http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/

Now put your post code in the search box

Now you need to find 

And it has to be the Red Symbol to work, The confusition is the other keys that show on the map i'm a bt Customer and it uses there BT Fon Which is Blue squares all over you will find thatg the red logo is only in makor City centres and on Larger Towns.

The only problem is when i'm looking on my phone it shows BT openzone near me but thats there phone boxes which are a pink circle and blue box 

This is why alot of people can not get it to work as there trying to connect to the wroung one. The one near me is operated by a cafa and has the sticker in the window as above 

This is Not what in the BT advert on the TV Tom is aware of this confustion and is passing this on to the right people

Message 3 of 14 (10,280 Views)

When i look on the map, there is a large red openzone logo pretty nearby, so i assume that i am connected to that one. The exact name of the hotspot is 'BTOpenzone', it does not mention 'FON' at all.

Message 4 of 14 (10,277 Views)

when you say nearby you have to be outside or sat in the place that has the logo it works like Mc Donalds you carn't live near by and it works if your phone is picking up BTopenzone it still might not be the right one my phone shows BTopenzone But its there BT Fon and i need the app for it to work even putting in the username and password will not make it work the app has to be running first. If you click on the Red logo Not a Red Circle Then it will tell you were it is.... And it will only work there or outside 

Message 5 of 14 (10,266 Views)

I understand where you are coming from, and no im not directly in or outside the building.

Although if range is the issue, then surely i wouldn't be able to connect to the hotspot at all? Currently my phone says its connected with either a 'good' or a 'fair' connection... Its when i enter my username and password that things go wrong.

The fact that im able to connect, leads me to think that the distance from the hot spot isnt the issue. Someone let me know if im wrong though, i've only got a limited knowledge of these things!

Cheers,

Sean

Message 6 of 14 (10,251 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster

I'm supposed to have 2GB with BT Openzone,

except I have absolutely zero information what that is or how I get it.

Did I miss the instructions somewhere along the line?

I tried searching on vodafones website,

this thread is the first I've seen it even mentioned

Message 7 of 14 (10,245 Views)

Go to answer two posts at once here the first if you not in the place were the open zone is then it will not work it needs to be BT openzone Ultra not Bt openzone hence the red symbol this is a BT problem with the names of there wifi YOUR ONTHE WRONG bt wifi. when you go to the place were the Red symbol is and you connect when you open your brouser it takes you to there page with the same red symbol as above. There is a set up for openzone the registration is the same and must be done for it to work now i can not put the link on as i am in a cafe on BT openzone, and it does work range outside tho is very power oh i get two openzone connections on the phone, like i said this is a BT thing ,back to the instructions i found them via google i type in Vodafone bt openzone setup and it found it.

Message 8 of 14 (10,231 Views)
KT1

Vodafone BT Openzone logging in Problem

Getting this error message, every single time i enter my username and password. I have tried accessing BT openzone in 3 different locations.

Message 9 of 14 (9,982 Views)
KT1

It used to work before however no it doesnt and vodafone say everythings fine with my Account

Message 10 of 14 (9,980 Views)

Iphone users having problems as well as clearly that pic is from a iphone as i have mentioned you have to be in a place were the image above is shown now they can check if its working or not.

Message 11 of 14 (9,975 Views)

Hi. It seems like I am not the only one who is having this problem. I signed up for a pay monthly plan for my iPad. Included in my subscription is 2GB of data and 2GB of BTOpenZone access. For months I had been trying to activate my wifi login ID but to no avail. 

I work in the hospital where there is restriction put on 3G access so I never really got to utilise the 2GB of data included in the plan. I get pretty good BTOpenZone signal in my room which I thought I could count on but despite numerous attempt. I could never login to the network as I still have yet to be able to retrieve my login details. 

On calling the customer service, no resolution was provided. I am extremely disappointed being told to access wifi at McDonald's or Starbucks. I mean, this would be similar to saying connect to your own house wifi. I have sent in a few enquiries through Contact Us on Vodafone website.

My first was sent last week and no response has been received.The second was sent more than 24 hours ago and I have not received any response. I would be grateful if you could arrange for a full refund as this was not the kind of service I expected when I was persuaded to take up this offer. Many thanks.

Eric 

Message 12 of 14 (7,833 Views)

sckwan wrote:

Hi. It seems like I am not the only one who is having this problem. I signed up for a pay monthly plan for my iPad. Included in my subscription is 2GB of data and 2GB of BTOpenZone access. For months I had been trying to activate my wifi login ID but to no avail. 

I work in the hospital where there is restriction put on 3G access so I never really got to utilise the 2GB of data included in the plan. I get pretty good BTOpenZone signal in my room which I thought I could count on but despite numerous attempt. I could never login to the network as I still have yet to be able to retrieve my login details. 

On calling the customer service, no resolution was provided. I am extremely disappointed being told to access wifi at McDonald's or Starbucks. I mean, this would be similar to saying connect to your own house wifi. I have sent in a few enquiries through Contact Us on Vodafone website.

My first was sent last week and no response has been received.The second was sent more than 24 hours ago and I have not received any response. I would be grateful if you could arrange for a full refund as this was not the kind of service I expected when I was persuaded to take up this offer. Many thanks.

Eric 

Right i think i see what the problem is

The BT Openzone your picking up is not the same

There are two

One open to BT Users only

and the other is used by Cafes libarys and shops if you look back in the thread i posted a pic of the sticker that is shown on the shops

Vodafone do a app called My Vodafone this will also show you were the nearest place is

Vodafones info

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Portal/appmanager/vodafone/wrp?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=template1...

Bt coverage map

http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/

pop your post code in

The openzone that your picking up is sent via payphones or the green boxes at the end of your street, that will be changing soon to BT fon

also those BT routers shown on the adverts allso send the signal out

Message 13 of 14 (7,829 Views)

Hi Northern DJ - Thanks for your message. I believe what you meant was I was misled to think that I would be able to access BTOpenZone network which is now still called BTOpenZone.

I am not impressed by Vodafone customer service. I haven't received any response from the team. (The link you provided was dead by the way)

There are two issues here. I was led to believe that I would be granted access to the BTOpenZone network and the level of service I received. My wifi account has now still not been activated. Everything I got was this message: "Registration Error
Sorry, we're having a technical problem at the moment. Please try again in a few minutes."

I am hoping to hear from customer service soon. Fingers crossed.

Eric
Message 14 of 14 (7,783 Views)
Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Stand out from the crowd