Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

Custom Roms

Hi Guys,

I am about to try installing Darky's V9 rom.

I have applied root via CF_Root through Odin.

I have installed Rom manager and applied clockworkMod recovery.

I have installed DarkyRom manager.

I have downloaded Darkys_v9.0.1_Extreme_Edition.zip

I know I have to place the rom zip file onto the root of internal sd card.

My question is this... If I want to go back to JPY 2.2.1, what is the procedure?

Any help or advice gratefully received.

tsd.

Autism_sig.png

Message 1 of 1,574 (11,055 Views)
Rank 14: Guide III
jimc130

Re: Custom Roms

First of all you could flash back to jpy with odin as per usual - what you can also do is go into Rom Manager which you have downloaded, make a back-up of the jpy that you are on now, and if you want to go back do it through Rom Manager. I have not tried that myself but have been meaning to do soon to see how it works. 

And now I have looked at mine I see I do not have jpy backed up in there, could have sworn that I had - ah well.

Just a final note, I would keep reading the darky thread, some folks have been having problems with his rom, the stable 9.0 release may not be completely stable, though this may be for people who were on his rom before and have not updated correctly but I would imagine that going from stock to custom first time should be ok, I would advise that you make sure you have a "wipe" edition (back up all your stuff as per usual), and after you have flashed do not do factory wipe as you would do with stock as you take customised parts away. One of my first custom rom mistakes. 

Also, there are plenty other roms out there to try.

good luck and let us know how you get on.

Jim

SGS I9000
Rom : CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

Message 2 of 1,574 (11,036 Views)
jimc130

@TSD

Just had a look at that thread, looks like he has released V9.0.2 - crickey, 9.0 was only released this morning. I guess there is a correction in there to the bugs that people were reporting so I would as I said before read what is going on before doing the flash.

And when you said DarkyRom Manager, did you meas that configurator that he has released?, interesting little thing that is. Oh and by the way coming from stock your apps/setting will be wiped - there used to be a choice but that choice is now only if you are already on his rom.

Jim 

SGS I9000

Message 3 of 1,574 (11,028 Views)
thesoupdragon

@jimc130

Thanks very much for all the information you have passed on.

I did have a go at flashing the rom with mixed success. I used the Configurator but I don't think it actually worked! It may have been my lack of knowledge so I will revisit that one again another day.

The flash itself went well with no problems, and I enabled the Voodoo lagfix. That was one of the things that the configurator didn't do.

I had a quick play around and everything seemed to work well. I couldn't apply my own images as a lock screen though?

I then decided to flash back to JPY 2.2.1 just to make sure this worked OK. I remembered to disable the lagfix. All was well and I am using a stock JPY now.

I personally didn't like the theme used, but I believe all that can be changed. I am going to read into this a lot more and get myself better organized to customize later.

My curiosity has been satisfied for now... But, I will definitely have another go soon.

Thanks again for your advice, I have bookmarked your post.

tsd.

Autism_sig.png

Message 4 of 1,574 (11,018 Views)
jimc130

Glad it went ok - strange about the lockscreen, you should be able to do that as an option for gallery should come up.

For myself, I think Darkys is a bit over-hyped, I am on the Hampster rom which is very stable, no problems. The Darky one seems to come out followed by a quick update then another quick update.....makes me think twice about going back to that one. I am reading up on the Insanity rom just now, it is a bit of a bare-bone rom but seems to be well thought of in the custom community.

I am just trying things out before having a crack at doing my own thing in the Rom Kitchen, you should check that out.

Jim

SGS I9000

Message 5 of 1,574 (11,013 Views)
thesoupdragon

@jimc130

Where would I find the Hampster Rom? I tend to agree about the Darky's rom, it does seem that updates come too fast!

I like the idea of a bare bones rom that you customize yourself. I'll Have a look at the rom kitchen as well. May as well, it's gone a bit quite here, for now.

tsd.

Autism_sig.png

Message 6 of 1,574 (11,004 Views)
jimc130

@TSD

Oops, spelling mistake - it's Hamster Rom and you can find it at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=844514

the Insanity rom is at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843019

SGS I9000

Message 7 of 1,574 (10,979 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
sudburys

Hey guys,

Just thought I 'd share that I updated to darkys 9.0 rom a couple of days ago and so far like what I am experiencing. As far as I am aware there has been an issue with the lock screen picture for a while... something that Darky himself has said is kind of a sacrifice for better battery life.

I do think I'm going to look into the different themes tho...

Suds
Message 8 of 1,574 (10,966 Views)
jimc130

Hi Suds,
Yep, putting on different themes is good, as far as I can gather they eat a little bit more battery, but then again I only need to charge once a day for what I would call reasonable use.

SGS I9000

Message 9 of 1,574 (10,961 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
ado28

I found Darkys ROM a bit heavy on the battery juice so returned to stock. I have been really busy over the last few weeks to flash and experiment with other ROMS but hopefully things at work will settle down shortly and I can get flashing again :smileyhappy:

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 10 of 1,574 (10,952 Views)
sudburys

Last night I decided to try out the Rom Kitchen and install Docs Rom. I quite like Darkys roms but tend to agree about it being quite juice hungry although I'm pretty sure that they'll all turn out to be rather similar on that front.

As I sit here, my wifi has been on for 15 mins and I've already lost 9% since unplug - around 40 mins ago!!
Message 11 of 1,574 (10,912 Views)
jimc130

I haven't tried the rom kitchen out yet, maybe you need to try different kernals to see which is better for battery, but anyway I am of the opinion at the moment that the battery goes down reasonably quickly then seems to even out after round about 80% then takes a long time to go down further - for me anyway. I am fairly happy with the battery situation  just now.

The rom I am using is Hamsters, not all bells and flashy like Darky, but nice and steady. I like it.

SGS I9000

Message 12 of 1,574 (10,908 Views)
paulchambers061

I have been using Darkyys roms for about 6 weeks now. They're very good in my opinion.

I used to always install the wipe version, as I have titanium backup pro to restore everything anyway.

I also have sms backup & restore and apn backup and restore.

Since version 8.1 I have used the no wipe version (wipe had a major bug in it), works very well.

I too had a little problem with the darky configuration manager, it didn'r save my settings until after I had flashed 9.0 the 1st time, then it worked the 2nd time with my options of circular battery icon, speedmod kernel & nexus s bootscreen.
Some people use the default kernel (voodoo 2.2 I think), I have the latest speedmod instead (K12Q with voodoo sound 2+).

As far as the battery goes, I find myself recalibrating my battery after flashing a new rom. Some people say the battery usage corrects itself over 2-3 days.

I use this calibration and get > 24 hours of medium usage.

After 3-4 full charge/full drain -cycles, do the following:

1. Charge the battery up to full.
2. Keep it plugged in to charger, and reboot to recovery.
3. On the recovery, go advanced, wipe battery stats, scroll on to yes BUT Don't wipe them yet. When you're ready, quickly remove the battery cable and push to wipe the battery stats.
4. Reboot the phone, use normally. Let it run completely out of battery.
5. Charge the phone back to full. Turn off phone. Charge until it says 100% on the green bar and vibrates for full charge.
6. The Important Part. Remove the charge cable for 0-0.5 seconds and plug it back in instantly. Let it charge to 100% again. Do this 1-2 times again, so you've done this 2-3 times total.
7. Reboot to recovery, wipe the battery stats again as on the step 3.
8. After wiping the battery stats, plug the charger back in the phone.
9. Reboot to ROM. Keep the cable plugged in. Keep it plugged in for about 30 mins to 2 hrs. Unplug. Should say 100%, mine did for about 40 mins after it depleted onto 99%. And this is the way you should really gain great battery performance.

Message 13 of 1,574 (10,894 Views)
jimc130

Hmm, I was using Darkys rom for a couple of weeks but gave up with it at V8.0 - update after update following a 2stable" release did not give me the gratest confidence. Have been on Hamsters V6.3 which is very good, today the need to flash got to me and I am now on Insanity JS3 v0.5.2, first impression - very, very fast!

I recall a few months ago we were all getting hot under the collar about bloat - to me the Darky Rom is the bloatware of the custom world, the last rom of his i loaded was 206mb, whereas the Insanity one I loaded today is 84mb. Ok Insanity is very bare bone and you have to add a little stuff, but for example, who needs 20 odd ringtones? Insanity rom provides 1 and you just add if you need.

Just thought I would share that with anyone thinking of trying out a custom rom (at your own risk remember, just like any flash/root).

Jim 

SGS I9000

Message 14 of 1,574 (10,881 Views)
ado28

jimc130 wrote:

Hmm, I was using Darkys rom for a couple of weeks but gave up with it at V8.0 - update after update following a 2stable" release did not give me the gratest confidence. Have been on Hamsters V6.3 which is very good, today the need to flash got to me and I am now on Insanity JS3 v0.5.2, first impression - very, very fast!

I recall a few months ago we were all getting hot under the collar about bloat - to me the Darky Rom is the bloatware of the custom world, the last rom of his i loaded was 206mb, whereas the Insanity one I loaded today is 84mb. Ok Insanity is very bare bone and you have to add a little stuff, but for example, who needs 20 odd ringtones? Insanity rom provides 1 and you just add if you need.

Just thought I would share that with anyone thinking of trying out a custom rom (at your own risk remember, just like any flash/root).

Jim 

Might give it a try tonight Jim, I haven't flashed for a few weeks now and don't really fancy darkys rom this time around. The insanity rom sounds good so will give that a flash.

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 15 of 1,574 (10,841 Views)
jimc130

Give it a go and see how you get on, I just insalled it last night and so far so good, very fast, good battery consumption, comes with a neat ace of spades wallpaper and an interesting app called Nitrality which you can use to install stuff.
Its my favourite rom so far.
Jim

SGS I9000

Message 16 of 1,574 (10,832 Views)
ado28

jimc130 wrote:
Give it a go and see how you get on, I just insalled it last night and so far so good, very fast, good battery consumption, comes with a neat ace of spades wallpaper and an interesting app called Nitrality which you can use to install stuff.
Its my favourite rom so far.
Jim

Topping up my charge as we speak lol. Not too keen on the ace of spades but a nice theme lapped over the top of it should do the trick lol :smileyhappy:

Message 17 of 1,574 (10,827 Views)
jimc130

I like Motorhead so I'm ok with it!

SGS I9000

Message 18 of 1,574 (10,824 Views)
ado28

what version did you install. i.e. wipe or non wipe?

Message 19 of 1,574 (10,818 Views)
jimc130

Sean, I did the wipe version, I prefer doing that on a new rom flash, then I did the Gmail add on as I use the google stuff, if you do that as well after it is all on use the Nitrality app to ensure all the google syncing is turned on.

Jim

SGS I9000

Message 20 of 1,574 (10,811 Views)