Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Emails not being received

Irenaekl
4: Newbie

My Galaxy Ace has suddenly decided not to receve any emails.  I have not altered any settings. Why would this be the case and what can I do.  Is this just yet another 'bad' thing about this phone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for that but since I have had this dreadful phone for over a year (roll on my next upgrade) I am well aware of all the issues regarding memory and storage.

I have NO apps on my phone, I do not keep any SMS or phone logs, all emails are delated after reading (a very tedious process too)

I have had to completely wipe the phone, switch off, remove the battery and reinstall my email addresses to get them to work.

The best thing anyone could do with a Galaxy Ace is throw it in the nearest river!!

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Which type of email? Eg. G mail or another? It could just be a server problem.

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I've just had issues with my Outlook / Hotmail not wanting to play ball.  Although, you did post about the signal problems you are having - it could be related to that. 

PWIAC

hrym

It could also be a memory/storage issue.  Have you tried simply restarting the phone, which will get rid of anything that's lurking and clogging it up.  The Ace is notoriously short on storage and RAM and I have issues with my Tab 2, which is only a little better, after it's been running a while.

Go into Settings|Storage and see how much is being used - this will only report storage, but you may also have a Task Manager widget which can also show RAM usage.  If it's getting a bit full, delete as many old SMS as you can, and also call logs unless you need them.  Also have a look at any content (music, photos, etc) and see what you can remove or transfer to a pc or a micro sd.   Then consider your apps - are there any you can do without?   If you've been keeping system apps up to date, are there any you don't use?   You can uninstall updates for them and gain space that way, too.  Apps tend to assume they have much more memory than they used to and can swamp older devices.

The final stage would be a factory reset, but that will lose all you app settings and data and you'll also need to back up any content.  Let's try the simpler housekeeping first.

Thank you for that but since I have had this dreadful phone for over a year (roll on my next upgrade) I am well aware of all the issues regarding memory and storage.

I have NO apps on my phone, I do not keep any SMS or phone logs, all emails are delated after reading (a very tedious process too)

I have had to completely wipe the phone, switch off, remove the battery and reinstall my email addresses to get them to work.

The best thing anyone could do with a Galaxy Ace is throw it in the nearest river!!

hrym

I'm sorry to hear of your problems.  I'mn afraid the Ace was always a very low-spec'd device and plenty of people haev reported all kinds of problems with them.  That said, I know someone who has one and is very happy with it, though they really only use it as a phone (I know, how retro is that?!).

I presume you've been down the route of not updating the system apps?

The other alternative, if you're using the Email app rather than the Gmail one, would be to use your Google account for all your emails.  You can set it to pull messages in from other services and also reply as from any address you like, or as from the address to which the message was originally sent - making it effectively transparent in use.  I got fed up with the standard email client and went down this route some time ago.  It works well.