You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 2: First Poster

For anybody using ICS on their Galaxy S ...

As regular posters will know I've been running Team Hacksungs ICS Build 12 on my phone for several months now and been very happy with it - I've had the odd random reboot in that time but as it's been rock solid in every other respect I didn't think any more of it.

However, this morning I was in the process of updating the host file for AdFree, when all of a sudden I get this little gem pop up on screen:

Encryption unsuccessful
Encryption was interrupted and can't complete. As a result, the data on your phone is no longer accessible.

To resume using your phone, you must perform a factory reset. When you set up your phone after the reset, you'll have an opportunity to restore any data that was backed up to your Google Account.

Given the date today, my first thought was that this was some kind of April Fools prank by Google or one of the apps I had installed on the phone, so onto the internet I went ... sadly no - I found mention of the same message in an ICS thread on XDA dating from earlier this month.

Either way, I've had to do a factory reset, which has lost me all my apps, but signing back in to my Google account has restored a lot. I regularly back my camera pics up to my laptop, so I just need to copy them back over later.

The most annoying thing is that I'm on holiday on the Norfolk coast at the moment and only have access to dial-up internet, so I won't be able to restore any apps yet - the 3G signal the phone picks up is next to useless up here, so this has given me a salutory lesson to get something like Titanium Backup installed once I'm back to a level playing field.

Just wanted to make any fellow ICS users aware ...

Message 1 of 11 (4,521 Views)
Rank 13: Guide II

Re: For anybody using ICS on their Galaxy S ...

[ Edited ]

i have been using this i.c.s rom v1.6 for the last two weeks now without any problems
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1556514

blackberry storm 2
nokia n97 mini x6
sony Ericsson satio
htc touch 2
htc hd2
samsung galaxy s x3
nokia e65
htc desire hd x2

so far this year
Message 2 of 11 (4,512 Views)
Rank 14: Guide III

@Adnams_Drinker , bit unfortunate that happened to you, but it is still an alpha build...did you go onto build 17? 

Progress is being made with CM9, the nightlies for SGS have just started coming out...

SGS I9000
Rom : CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

Message 3 of 11 (4,451 Views)

I'm getting this problem at least once a month on average now, although I still haven't been able to fathom out what's causing it.

Titanium Backup has saved my skin on each and every occasion, apart from when it happened this morning - it looks like my last backup with TB didn't work properly, because having restored it and my apps/data, I'm getting a message saying:

Unfortunately the process android.process.media has stopped

which amongst other things is preventing me from downloading apps from Google Play.

I think the time to ditch Team Hacksung Build 12 - I've been running it for so long now I really can't complain, although I've been out of the custom rom scene for several months. What's the best solution for ICS on an SGS1 nowadays - time to make the jump to CM9?

Message 4 of 11 (3,937 Views)

You need to move on there, TeamHacksung builds are antique now, move along to http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#galaxysmtd/cm9/next

for the latest nightlies, and hopefully an RC1 very soon.

SGS I9000

Message 5 of 11 (3,917 Views)

Tried the last of the Team Hacksung builds (17 if I remember rightly) last night, which seems stable enough so far, but now the Gmail app doesn't work and the Calendar app doesn't sync with my Google account.

Can't be bothered faffing about with it again tonight, so I'm thinking I'll make the move to CM9 over the weekend - I used CM7 quite happily for months before flashing the TH ICS, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Message 6 of 11 (3,901 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V

I run CM9 on my S1 and the performance is just out of this world and makes the stock rom look antiquated, dull and slow!

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 7 of 11 (3,876 Views)

Despite my previous post, later that night I did put one of the latest CM9 nightlies on (the 11/06/2012 ROM if I remember rightly). Seems fine and not a whiff of a problem so far, although I've backed up with Titanium Backup just in case!

Has the 'encryption failed' thing even been known to happen with CM9?

Message 8 of 11 (3,859 Views)

You will find that keeping an old experimental cm version will eventually come up with problems, stick with the nightlies and update regularly and you should have no problems.

SGS I9000

Message 9 of 11 (3,845 Views)

I can confirm that CM9 does indeed suffer from the "Encryption failed" error - it happened again this morning.

I've noticed a pattern that might be emerging - to save battery power overnight, I use Tasker to put the phone into Airplane mode at midnight and then switch Airplane mode off at 6.50am. The last couple of times I've had the 'encryption failed' thing happen has been after Tasker has failed to switch Airplane mode off. The only way to get Airplane mode to turn off is to reboot the phone and it's when it's booting up again that the 'encryption failed' message appears.

I had everything backed up with Titanium Backup, so it was all restored within half an hour, but for now, I'm avoiding the use of Tasker and using a tiny app to handle the overnight management of the phone's network settings - might make a difference, might not.

Not due an upgrade until March 2013, so I'm just hoping to get the thing stable between now and then!

Message 10 of 11 (3,806 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V

I have been using CM9 from day 1 after moving from CM7 and I can't say that I have had one single problem. Never had any encryption errors and every feature works as it should including face unlock!

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 11 of 11 (3,803 Views)
Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Stand out from the crowd