Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

GSM/CDMA/Note Edge

joelinux
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello!  I'm here in the US, and planning on visiting Scotland on holiday around September.

I did some research, and it appears that Vodafone is the best carrier out in the Highlands. 

I have two questions here... 

1)  I am thinking of getting the Samsung Note Edge in the next few weeks.  However, I'm on Verizon out here, which is a CDMA network, so I have to get the CDMA variant (Model #SM-N915VZKEVZW).  However, the Note Edge is listed as a "Global" phone.  Can someone at Vodafone make sure before I buy it that it will operate on a GSM network with the appropriate SIM Chip?

2)  Seeing as I've never been in this situation, please let me know if I am understanding how this works:  I can purchase a SIM Chip over the 'net, and when I get to the UK, all I have to do is replace the SIM Chip from Verizon with the Vodafone SIM Chip, and all will work correctly, right?  Will I still have my US phone number, or will I have a temporary UK number?

All the best!

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion

I think it might be worth asking Samsung that.  If there's a variant, it's possible it's not worldwide compatible, though I thought that was the whole idea these days.  If the version you're using uses a SIM, it would seem likely that it is compatible, but I wouldn't like to be definite about that.

In order to use a SIM from a different network, the device has to be network unlocked, so it would be worth asking Verizon about that now.   They'll be able to organise unlocking for you if it's necessary.  When you put a new SIM in it, that'll be the phone's identity and, yes, it'll have the Vodafone number.  You should be prompted to install the data connection settings (APNs) so that you can connect through the VF network.

Your Vodafone SIM will be PAYG and there are various options with this, so I'd research the details of what are called Freebees.   If you buy a SIM from a Vodafone shop, you can ask for the one you want.   If it comes from anywhere else, it'll automatically have a Freedom Freebee on it.   This gives you inclusive calls, data and texts for 30 days for (I think) £10 and may be best for you.   There are other variants, some of which give you inclusive data and texts (or other things) for 30 days but debit your credit when you make calls.  After the 30 day period, a Freedom Freebee ends and has to be renewed.   On a (say) text and web one, you'll incur a £2 daily charge whenever you make a data connection after the 30 days - and, if you keep mobile data on, that would be £2 every day on a smart device (or you can renew the Freebee).

Does any of that help?  I've tried to keep it concise rather than explain all the variants in detail.   TBH, I'd suggest finding a Vodafone shop when you land and talking to them.   They can explain things in more detail and may also be able to help you set up your phone.   If this proves not to be possible, they could sell you a device that will work.  You can get some pretty good ones for £100 or so.

What part of Scotland are you visiting, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks for all that. There is a Vodafone shop right outside of the EDI airport, and I had planned on getting the card there, but I'm more or less interested to know if the Verizon Note Edge Variant has the correct GSM cellular modem to talk to the UK/Scottish towers before I buy it. I know there are different variants of GSM, and the nomenclature isn't that precise. We're going counter clockwise from Braemar for the Gathering, Stonehaven, Old/New Slains Castle (Grandma was a Hay!), Fort Williams, Isle of Skye, Mull, then Linlithgow and West Lothian to visit Cairns Castle.

hrym

That's way outside my area of expertise, I'm afraid.  However, it did occur to me that you also need to check the frequences the device operates on, to make sure they're compatible with Vodafone.  There's a handy table in this Wikipedia entry.  Even if the modem was compatible, some devices operate on 850mhz instead of 900, which Vodafone use for some of their 3G.  Also bear in mind that, depending on where you are, a lot of rural Scotland is still 2G, so that'll matter too.

My personal feeling would be that, if you like the Note Edge and you're going to have a use for it at home, get one.   If it doesn't work in Scotland you can, as I said, buy a cheap PAYG device for use there (if £100 or a bit less doesn't seem like an unnecessary expense).   If you want to use the Note, you could set the other device as a hotspot, though it would mean carrying and using two devices.

There are various free wifi hotspots about and I find The Cloud very useful   If you register, you can use their Fast Connect app to connect automatically.   Out in the sticks, you're more reliant on hotels, of course.