You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Lolli101
Accepted Solution

Galaxy 3 calls going straight to voicemail?

Hello any one who can help me solve this very recent issue with my G3 which I've had nearly a year and I just love.
In the last few weeks my mobile is not ringing on a few numbers calling me, frustratingly one important number is the doctors surgery, the calls are going straight to voicemail even though I'm not on another call so I'm missing important calls. One time the handset rang once but would not let me pick up, sending call straight to voicemail?

I've checked call settings and auto reject call is NOT selected. I've got aVast running but I have disabled their reject calls and sms so its not that.

Miffed, any clues guys. With thanks.
Message 1 of 42 (18,513 Views)
Rank 33: Scholar II
63johnw

Re: Galaxy 3 calls going straight to voicemail?

Could you have accidentally activated "blocking mode" ?

Drag down top menu and its at the right hand end of the menu.

Fotor0629191212.jpg

Message 2 of 42 (18,504 Views)
Lolli101

Hey 63johnw, thanks for responding so quickly, I moved 'blocking mode' off my notification panel as I have no need for it so just checked settings and blocking mode is not enabled!
Sure is a mystery to me. Also in the last month I did not receive 2 sms texts, I know thats not alot in a year but I've checked everything as I've become abit of a geek since getting my Galaxy and up til now I've solved any issues myself (proud moment) so I get frustrated with things I can't solve and apart from this issue I'm especially frustrated with my laptop not recognising usb cable when trying to use kies!! but all us kies users know that feeling...lol. Thanks for trying to help me though
Message 3 of 42 (18,499 Views)
63johnw

Have you tried the old factory reset ?

I know its a little drastic but it can cure lots of problems.

Fotor0629191212.jpg

Message 4 of 42 (18,497 Views)
Lolli101

No I haven't as I've only just got my laptop and usb dongle and need to set up accounts, cloud storage so I can make sure everythings copied off my phone.
Excuse my ignorance is that what 'rooting' your mobile means? Still learning like a sponge...
Message 5 of 42 (18,494 Views)
63johnw

No it just resets your phone back to all the original settings, back to beginning as if starting from scratch with a new phone.

Rooting is something different.

Don't worry we all have to learn and here is a good place to get help.

But yes, make sure you have backed up all your stuff first.

Fotor0629191212.jpg

Message 6 of 42 (18,491 Views)
Lolli101

Thanks for not laughing at me...my son thinks I go in too deep but my answer is 'if you don't, how will you learn?'
Ok so you think my best option is I should do a reset after saving everything?
When you have time & if you feel inclined to mentor me a little, I'd really like to know about 'rooting' & what it exactly means and does and if its something that is recommended and if its an action I should do??
I'll mark your answer as question solved as it could be some time til I get my pc running and my phone stuff copied.
Huge thanks for your help.
Message 7 of 42 (18,488 Views)
63johnw

Another thing to look at could be on the actual contact in your contacts list.
Open the doctors contact then press menu and scroll down and ensure you aren't rejecting that contact.

Your phone can be set to reject individual contacts.

Fotor0629191212.jpg

Message 8 of 42 (18,487 Views)
Lolli101

Already done individual contact settings check, not that and interestingly when I go into contact and look at history, the calls that went straight to voicemail are not even listed in history as missed calls, the calls are not listed.
Message 9 of 42 (18,477 Views)
63johnw

No problem.

Rooting gives you extra privelages and let's you mess around more with your phone, it also allows you to put custom ROMs on your phone, however it does void your warranty.

Any questions you have just ask, you won't be laughed at and there are some very good experts on here that can normally sort problems.

You may also want to check the Vodafone network checker in case they are having a problem in your area.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Network-Updates/Network-Issues-Initial-checks-and-template/td-p/66678...

Fotor0629191212.jpg

Message 10 of 42 (18,476 Views)
63johnw

You could also disable voicemail for a while and see what happens ?

You can deactivate it by dialling 1210.

Fotor0629191212.jpg

Message 11 of 42 (18,469 Views)
Lolli101

How funny, just did coverage checker for calls and sms and it showed good signal then my signal bars completely disappeared and I've had to walk around my flat to get 1 bar back!!
Signal says good but I do dispute that between 2 & 3am when all bars disappear and internet pages take forever to load even with Chrome!
Doesn't look like I'll be rooting, don't want to void my warranty.
Will try your suggestion of disabling voicemail and see what happens...
Message 12 of 42 (18,463 Views)
63johnw

I have heard of your problem in poor signal areas, so it could just be down to that ? Give it a day or two and get your stuff backed up then if no better try the reset option.

Fotor0629191212.jpg

Message 13 of 42 (18,460 Views)
Lolli101

Will do. Will let you know results. Huge thanks
Message 14 of 42 (18,455 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
kimbrulait

Hello - I have been having the exact same problem with my Galaxy S3. I did all the following minus the rooting and I have had no luck. I have had Vodafone for almost 4 years without issues in the same flat and now I miss calls from the surgery, estate agents, clients. I'm losing out big time. The only answer I've got from Vodafone is that it could be reception and perhaps I need to buy the Sure Signal. So Vodafone's coverage has changed and now I need to shell out more money? This doesn't seem right - I live in the SAME place, a garden flat. The coverage checker says good indoor and outdoor. But even the data speeds are slow. I posted in the forum for faults and none were found. Really I can't believe how much I pay per month and I can't get a simple phone call. 

Message 15 of 42 (18,310 Views)
Rank 38: Professor II
hrym

If it's worked OK in the past, it could be a local fault.  One of the mods will be able to guide you through the process for checking this.

Message 16 of 42 (18,306 Views)
kimbrulait

Like I said in the above message - I checked the faults. 

Message 17 of 42 (18,296 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi kimbrulait,

Does this happen in all locations or just one place?

How long have you had your SIM?

What’s the postcode of where this happens?

If you turn off 3G, do you still get the same issue?

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 18 of 42 (18,281 Views)
Rank 38: Professor II
hrym

When you say slow data speeds, are you getting 2G or 3G?   Did you previously get 3G and now only 2?

Some phones are better indoors than others, and there can also be other factors that affect reception - things that get in the way of the signal path.   I assume this is a built-up area?  That can also imply heavy traffic generally and it could simply be a congestion issue.

The coverage map is useful as a general guide, but it's based on the signal strength rather than the specific conditions and one locality.  I agree that it would be better for the network to be improved than having to shell out for a Sure Signal box, but it is at least a viable solution.

How does the S3 perform in other areas compared with what you had before.  There are a few posts here that suggest some people get worse reception, but it's hard to pin down to the handset or circumstances and, generally, newer phones have better reception than old ones.

Message 19 of 42 (18,274 Views)
kimbrulait

Hi 

It has happened in more than one place - but I work from home so this is where i notice it the most. 

I've had this sim for a year. 

The post code is N10 3NR

If i turn mobile data off it continues. 

If I try calling my mobile from skpe (while moving to various places in my flat) I get half a ring and it goes to voicemail. 

Message 20 of 42 (18,273 Views)