Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Galaxy Note 4 WiFi Issue

theconcertina
2: Seeker

Hi,

Just wondering if I'm missing something or doing something idiotic with the Note 4... the WiFi seems to constantly connect then reconnect, meaning that when browsing on WiFi it's very slow as it stalls; same with downloads.

I can bypass this by turning the WiFi off and using the 4G but I'm presuming there is a setting that is causing an issue on the device? Or perhaps a physical defect with the handset?

Keen for some insight!

Many thanks,

Adam

8 REPLIES 8

theconcertina

Would be good if one of the Vodafone guys could perhaps get in touch with me on here regarding this...

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @theconcertina 

Apologies that your post was missed.

Please check that you've not got the power saving option turned on. This can be found in settings.

Are there any other phones connected to the router? Are they having any issues?

Finally please also make sure the software on the phone is up to date.

Thanks,

Sukhi

Hi Suchi,

Power saving is not on, I've also checked that the phone has keep WiFi on during sleep

I've tested my old phone on the WiFi network and it has no issues! Kies is displaying that I have the latest firmware loaded onto the Note 4 also

Everytime I use the WiFi, it just stalls, almost like it's timing out, then loses the network, immediately finding it again - obviously this causes webpages and downloads to stall or time out which is very frustrating. As such I have just turned WiFi off for the time being as it is causing many issues!

Is this a known issue or a fault with my handset?

Hi @theconcertina,

I suspect that Smart network switch might be turned on. This feature switches between your mobile data connection and Wi-Fi to maintain the best possible connection.

To switch this off, follow the steps below:

• Click on Settings
  • Select Wi-Fi and then untick the box next to "Smart network switch"

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately not the case. This was already unchecked as during a previous attempt at solving this issue I'd enabled it to see if would alleviate the problem. It didn't so unchecked it again. Just turned on WiFi to download an update for an app, still getting constant stalls.

The WiFi icon shows it's both uploading and downloading data (if the arrow indicators are anything to go by) but the progress doesn't move and likewise with websites it just freezes and times out

Very annoying!!!

I started an update at 15:16 which is 36MB approx. It's now 15:45 and it hasn't even done 3MB of this... As soon as I disabled the WiFi it was done very quickly...

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @theconcertina

Is this happening on public Wi-Fi connections or on your home Wi-Fi?

If it’s your home Wi-Fi, can other devices (laptop, tablets etc) connect ok?

Can you connect to other Wi-Fi connections (friends and family members etc) without any problems?

Thanks,

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Yep, happening also on public Wi-Fi connections!

Home Wi-Fi works fine with my old Galaxy and laptops, so fairly certain it's a problem specifically with the Note 4. What I may do is pop into the nearest Vodafone store and advise them of the issue and see if it works with the Wi-Fi in store so tehy can see the problem first hand?

Thanks

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@theconcertina 

We'll be happy to take a look in our repair centre.

To find out what you need to do in order to get this sorted, take a look at our Vodafone repairs thread.

DaveCD