Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

Re: Gingerbread

LUCIALIA wrote:
OK,so now I have it what are the new & improved things & are there any extras/new things?

Well at first i found it hard to see, But a faster boot up when it does the media scan we have a Download app which i have been testing and its prity good, Its seems smoother i have a phew niggles with it but there liverble.

They have fixed the tracking and security the problem we had was 2.2 was a big update and there was alot on the front end, Were as Gingerbread has alot done on the back end, There is a look change at the top the blind looks better my mate has the Nexus and that was the same when they got gingerbread but on the settings we have kept the coulered settings on there there all green.

We were hoping to get touchwiz 4 but we haven't 

He has just got 2.3.4 and there is nothing much on there 

The main Goal of updates is to fix problems and sort issues out and new stuff

But what tends to happen is people need to update cos somthing has happen to there phone and a update will fix it 

This one with Vodafone fixes the Firmware there people had messed up. 

What samsung should do is give us a theme change option HTC do on there Desire phones,

at the moment i don't think its as polished as what it could be, 

Message 461 of 631 (3,269 Views)
Northern-dj

Re: Gingerbread Problems

Well i updated my phone via kies and i have not been happy with it!!!!

The main problem is it was randomly reseting it's self and its not been the only one so i have reflashed via odin after talking to my service centre he recons that the reset is the fail safe built in to the phone. When it reset all my personal settings had gone soi reflashed 

all seems well at the moment 

But the Boot up is a worry but as long as it does not reset on its own then i'm not bothered

Message 462 of 631 (3,236 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
Marbles

Any sign of the 2.3 update for JPX (HKDXEU) rom's over in England yet? Can't understand why they would roll out later than JPY's...? Kies still sayin' no update available. (in Ireland). Bugger.

Message 463 of 631 (3,200 Views)
Northern-dj

I have used kies and my phone did not like it the ones i have flashed using odin are all fine, I have just got the phone with my service centre and they have hard three come in and one had the same problem as mine Phew 

But one thing i have noticed the longer you leave the phone off the longer it takes to boot up, If you shut your phone down and wait for the vibrating bit the restart it starts up pritty fast leave it for two mins it starts up normally 

If thius firmware still missbehave then i'm back to JPY then Darkys 

Message 464 of 631 (3,184 Views)
Rank 14: Guide III
jimc130

CM7 NDJ.......its calling for you....... 

SGS I9000
Rom : CyanogenMod 9 nightlies

Message 465 of 631 (3,181 Views)
Northern-dj

I have to get to the bottom of this as i have 15 SGS to look after i updated three last night via odin and there fine but the others i'm worried about  plus with the service centre saying they have had some in with kies updating problems.

CM7 does look good but that is a major biggy I'm Hoping the three file one on Samfirmware is fine we shall see it does feel better but the boot up is still strange fast or slow vey strange 

Message 466 of 631 (3,160 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
JDK1556

Hi all, Updated last night via kies without any problems. Been using throughout day and seems ok. Noticed in usb settings the ask on connection has disappeared, but that's not a major issue. Like the new pulldown notification bar. Not really noticed many other visible changes. JDK.
Message 467 of 631 (3,154 Views)
Northern-dj

Mine updated with out any problems it was after the event. Its not reset it's self yet since i flashed with odin it does seem more stable as well i have put aofficial complaint in about the ask on connection and told them what i think of kies.

\out of 15 phone including mine three are down two with the same problem one is bricket kies crashed half way through screen of death but the jig fixed that. so two is not bad i might have to lock them down from being able to use kies, but then i would have to sort all them out.

I think they have rushed this out its deff no JPY the brouser is more stable no silly boxes in the back ground  

Message 468 of 631 (3,134 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
JDK1556

Hi NDJ,

Do you mean boxes in the background when you zoom in/out in the browser? If so I noticed that as well but it seems to do it intermittently on my handset??

Also noticed this evening that when you get a long text message it is now all displayed in the bubble and you don't have to click into it anymore to get the rest of the text.

JDK.

Message 469 of 631 (3,128 Views)
Rank 17: Instructor I
very_teknical

The problem with Kies, apart from the fact that its notoriously un stable, is that it just flashes an update .TAR over whatever you have on your phone already. So a lot of the time the update ends up mangled with bugs which are not there if the phone had of flashed succesfully.

Flashing with 3 files and re-partition using odin is the safest and most reliable way of updating your phone.

You're also not at the mercy of having to wait around for Samsung to offer you the update.

Message 470 of 631 (3,119 Views)
Northern-dj

I agree my phone has been more stable and battery drain is back to normal i wonder if thats somthing to do with the large amount of battery drain problems coming up. When will they listern and get rid of kies.

Message 471 of 631 (3,104 Views)
Rank 17: Instructor I
very_teknical

Northern-dj wrote:
I agree my phone has been more stable and battery drain is back to normal i wonder if thats somthing to do with the large amount of battery drain problems coming up. When will they listern and get rid of kies.

Imagine if there is a parallel Universe somewhere where Samsung invested a bit of money installaing a local server in every major country/region around the world, got some decent devs working on their firmware, and delivered it all via over the air updates in a timely manner.

Message 472 of 631 (3,100 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
flipdee

Hey there, Just a quick question, has anyone tried using PPTP VPN on their SGS with 2.3.3. I've tried re-configuring a couple of vpn's I had on 2.2.1 and neither of them will connect.
It tries and then just shows "XXXX VPN disconnected" then "Unable to connect to the network".
Ironically for me that was one of the few aspects of 2.2.1 that actually worked.
I also have 1 click VPN and it doesn't work either, with or without encryption enabled.

Anyone with any insight into this for me would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yes, and it's a pain that double tapping on swype is broken in 2.3.3 too. Bring on 2.3.4? :s
Thanks a lot, great forum by the way! (the missing link in vodafone!)
Jonny
Message 473 of 631 (3,077 Views)
Northern-dj

Vpn's have been a pain for me as well.<\p>Are yoi trying via wifi or 3g cos i could only get it to work via wifi but i had to shut my data connection down first <\p> Oh if you fancy a laugh ring vodafone Tec on this realy funny.

Message 474 of 631 (3,068 Views)
flipdee

Hey there Northern-dj, Thanks for your reply.
I've tried it on Wifi and Mobile data and neither work.
Sadly my vpn servers don't have native logging so without setting up a syslog server I won't know exactly where the problem occurs.
Vodafone Tech, urrrgh, it's definately a lottery, I think out of the 10 times i've rang i've got a helpful person once!
Cheers for your help, anyone else got any experiences with this problem?
flipdee
Message 475 of 631 (3,054 Views)
flipdee

Oh yes, I also noticed people complaining on the 1 click vpn marketplace comments that it's not working with the sgs and/or 2.3.3, also mentioned is the fact it's not working on the galaxy tab too.
Hmmm, updates bring more problems, bahhhhh!
On the upside my battery life has gone from, at max 9hrs to 13hrs (pretty heavy use - i.e. at least 2hrs screen time during this period)
So now I can get at least a day out of my phone with the wearable galaxy s battery pack (EBB-U10BBU) that I use!
Message 476 of 631 (3,046 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

On Stock Vodafone Gingerbread

I have noticed that Dally Briefing App is missing! The official Samsung User manual says it should be there.

Could someone on a unbranded version, confirm if it is on there or not?

TSD

Autism_sig.png

Message 477 of 631 (3,041 Views)
flipdee

Daily Briefing App is on my XEU 2.3.3
Message 478 of 631 (3,033 Views)
flipdee

Ok so, slight panic over. It's actually 1 Click VPN that broke the VPN in 2.3.3. Un-Installing it fixed the native client, wifi and mobile data.
With 1 click installed neither it nor the native client even tried to pass data on either wifi or mobile data.
Message 479 of 631 (3,027 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
daveande

Re: Samfirmware 2.3.3. VOD Firmware

[ Edited ]

Kies offers me PDA: JV9, PHONE: JV3, CSC: JV5

What is the equivalent Samfirmware download? 

Is this a 3-file/re-partition firmware package (which very-teknical reckons to be the safest and most reliable way of updating the SGS)?

Message 480 of 631 (3,012 Views)