Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 17: Instructor I
very_teknical

Re: Galaxy S - Gingerbread Battery issues

@soup

When you updated and had this battery drain, did you update via kies or if not just a single .tar file via odin??
Message 61 of 109 (4,672 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

Well, I'm sorely tempted to flash BUJV9, just to p**s my phone off...! :smileyvery-happy:

I am, however intrigued by this Android OS/Battery drain... :smileytongue:

I have paid a professional to investigate this troublesome mystery!

He is, no other than... Sherlock Tux.pngSherlock Tux...! 

Autism_sig.png

Message 62 of 109 (4,666 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Cyberwitch

TSD I want the Sherlock Penguin hes cute lol

It just seems so random.  To be fair the phone wasn't too bad today, the software update is always running as is the samsung account and you can't stop either however if you clear the data and reboot using 3 button reboot the os and system android drain goes away for a while.

I finally gave up and installed Darkys just putting apps and stuff back on wil report back re: battery.  I haven't updated the samsung apps and i don't think that i will nothing in them i use.

Message 63 of 109 (4,662 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

very_teknical wrote:
@soup

When you updated and had this battery drain, did you update via kies or if not just a single .tar file via odin??

I originally updated via Kies from Stock FroYo BUJS3 to Stock Gingerbread BUJV9. I had no issues and very good battery life. I then did EZbase back to FroYo and then Odin to XXJVO, single .tar file.

I had three days of really good use and then for no reason instant battery drain. At it's worst full charge to 20% (idle) in 5 hours!

I turned the Phone off. Charged to 100% and flashed CyanogenMod7. I am getting 30 hours+ from a full charge, and Android OS runs at 2%.

Autism_sig.png

Message 64 of 109 (4,660 Views)
very_teknical

right its not the samsung apps, well not exclusively anyway.

The two apps already quoted are the culprits and as already advised you need to either freeze them or delete them using titanium (your phone needs to be rooted) and yes this bug can hit you at random.

But there is another culprit which can cause a severe battery drain issue...

Certain GAMES which are graphically intense. They don't allow the CPU to ramp back down after you've finished playing them when the phone is supposed to go to sleep. Others at XDA have found this to be the case as well.

Which explains why out of the phones I've looked at, its the gamers suffering mostly.

Its not the games devlopers fault, its due to the Samsung kernel.

So If games are important to you the best advice is to flash back to froyo or install a different kernel.

cheers

vt

Message 65 of 109 (4,655 Views)
Cyberwitch

I don't think people will flash back to froyo as the games run much better on Gingerbread well the ones i have found do any way :smileywink:

But thanks for all you help what would we do without you guys :smileyhappy:

Gona do freeze thing now if i can figure out to lol

Just one question can i change the scrolling apps screen, its weird lol

Message 66 of 109 (4,647 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

[ Edited ]

One thing people are not doing is switching every thing off, as firmware updates turns every thing on other the Bluetooth.

But I have noticed that even on a custom rom the memory use I high compared to 2.2.1

As for the Samsung apps if you go in to Applications then Samsung app turn the notification OFF, This turns the drain from that off 

The other thing with gingerbread is there is more information on the battery and what's running were as before it was limited 

Android Os was not on. Then on 2.2.1 the biggest drain was the Display and it still is 

After three days a Dakeys 10.1 phone has now settled down were on GB stock it was all over the place but my brother in Germany is also on JVH and he did have a drain at first, But his settled down so it seems to be a Isolated JVO issue.

The Warning Darky put on was to stop the tide of complaint about battery drain 

Key thing to remember 100% to start with on resurrection, Then 100% before the full 10.1

Then same as every other rom shut GPS Down Bluetooth, Auto Sync and the Samsung apps sync off, Brightness on low or Auto, No fancy wall papers the more black the merrier.

Then give the phone three days to settle down don't be in a hurry to unplug when the phone says 100%

I  always shut the phone down and charge with out the phone on and leave it over night, on gingerbread I did see a massive improvement but compared to JPY 2.2.1 still had the edge

So why upgrade at the moment there is not a lot in it.

But a custom rom seems to be the only fix to get the battery to behave, As it seems that there is alot stil struggling with the battery on JVO

As for game VT is right but as a avid gamer and a gameloft nut the phone did behave much slower, at first i thought that they had fixed the Moderncombat 2 problem as it worked first time around but my mate has this working on his Nexus s

But his does not use as far as i no the RFS file system which were stuck with

Samsung need to take this last rom and start again the more people delve into it the more Yack it becomes.  

Message 67 of 109 (4,641 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
Adam86

My battery life seems to have calmed down now, Android never goes above 2-3% usage. And battery life is pretty much as good as it ever has been.
Message 68 of 109 (4,556 Views)
Cyberwitch

Hi guys, well my battery seems to of settled now......but my other halfs who i had done the same to is worse, much worse.  Fully charged 6.30pm last night by 11.30pm completely dead, he had not used it all night it had been in his pocket, got it out to ring a taxi and it wouldn't even switch on||  We left it off and on charge all night, i switched the phone on this morning at 8am and by 8.30am it was down to 96%.  He complained to me about it and i went through the settings to make sure it was set up the same as mine and the android os was using 40%.  I have now factory reset, cleared the cache and put darkys on again and in doing that it dropped down to 91%.  It driving him mad now any suggestions all helpful forum gurus :smileywink:

Message 69 of 109 (4,547 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
dnairb001

Hi Cyberwitch, give it a couple of days for the phone and the battery to settle down. Every time I have done an update or even when I went to Darky 10.1 my battery was flat within 10 hours. After a couple of days on Darky the battery lasted over 36 hours with quite a lot of use. Let it go flat then fully charge it and over the next couple of days it should sort itself out. If not then read through earlier in this thread as there will be plenty of suggestions and tips.

Message 70 of 109 (4,536 Views)
paulchambers061

hmm,

in my opinion, android os should not be using 40%. Mine is 10%.

That seems to suggest one (or more) processes using a lot of the battery. Probably best having a look at what's running.

Maybe swap batteries to eliminate the possibility that the other battery is a dud maybe?

Me and my stepson both have a galaxy s ... we have 4 batteries on the go. He swaps his batteries with one I keep on a charging unit, and he is happy doing that. I like to keep the same battery, doing it's charge/discharge cycle.

Message 71 of 109 (4,526 Views)
Cyberwitch

This is getting silly I have done all the so called fixes and despite having a 97% batyery st midn46% last night and is now on 37%wjats going on with his battery arggghhjhhjhigjt its now down to39%. Using 80% android os grrrrrrrr. Mine was on
Message 72 of 109 (4,513 Views)
Cyberwitch

Ignore prvious post all got mixed up when i received a phone call lol

My phone was on 42% last nigt and was on 37% this morning thats fine.  But my boyfriends phone was on 97% when we went to bed about 12.30 last night and was down to 32% this morning, it had nothing on and the android os used 70% overnight acording to the battery stats.  I have applied all the so called fixes, and even last night after several days of the battery lasting 6-8 hrs formatted the phone, wiped partitions etc and reinstalled darkys 10.1.  It now that bad that he is scared to use it to even text as its draining so quick.  Its just lucky i had mine with me on wednesday or we would of been unable to phone a taxi and would of been stuck miles from home.

I am fed up of everyone saying they are samrtphone they use power, i get it i know they do but they shouldn't use that much when they are idle its past a joke.

Please someone help before it ends up at cash converters in the morning, if he hasn't thrown it up the wall before then.

Message 73 of 109 (4,498 Views)
paulchambers061

you should get at least 18-24 hours on a charge, unless it's being used heavily. A bettery would last about 5 hours, if it is in constant use.
If the android os is that high, there must be one or more high usage processes running on the phone.
Message 74 of 109 (4,489 Views)
Cyberwitch

I shut everything down before i went to bed, there is nothing running unless we have a ghost thats using it while we sleep.  He hadn't installed anthing on it after i reflashed it, i installed titanium and darky rom config thats all so i don't see how anything can be running.

Message 75 of 109 (4,484 Views)
paulchambers061

do you have the terminal emulator?
if so, run this command

top -m 10

on mine this shows user activity of about 10% and system activity of about 10% too

the top cpu processes are under that with the cpu% shown. the top command should be the first line, unless there's a cpu hog process running.

Message 76 of 109 (4,475 Views)
Cyberwitch

Don't know what that is?? I am at work at the mo so can't do anything to his phone til i get back any way.

Message 77 of 109 (4,472 Views)
paulchambers061

not a problem, terminal emulator is a free app on the market, launching it is the same as having a prompt on a screen. gives you command line access

Message 78 of 109 (4,468 Views)
very_teknical

Just because you think you've shut everything down, doesn't mean that there is nothing running draining the battery.

Indeed the reason that the battery is draining on the 2.3.3 ROM 'android system' for some people is because something is running and not shutting down.

Until 2.3.4 comes out (and no one knows when this will be), you need to get to the bottom of the problem yourself.

In this post earlier in this thread, I recommended that people who are having issues install WATCHDOG to monitor their phones and highlight exactly where the problem is comming from.

Message 79 of 109 (4,439 Views)
Montala

very_teknical wrote:

Until 2.3.4 comes out (and no one knows when this will be), you need to get to the bottom of the problem yourself.

It's always nice to have something to look forward to, so what is the best 'guesstimate'  at the moment for the release of 2.3.4 for the Galaxy S?

Mind you, it will probably introduce another 'bug' of some sort, but hey, ho! :smileyhappy:

Message 80 of 109 (4,427 Views)