Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 12: Guide I
swarren

Re: Galaxy S2 ICS very high data usage bug ?

@big_chris

I don't think that the Email app is not fit for purpose because I have to an IMAP account set up and have very little data usage.

I suggested K9 mail because I use it for my work IMAP account to keep them seperate from my personal emails, and, I find that as with most third party apps there are more options when setting up the account.  Unfortunately I don't have a POP3 account I can test on my phone but I would imagine that K9 mail would have the same options as the IMAP setup so you could turn off more settings that you don't need, it would also tell you if it is the settings on the Stock app and at least give you access to your work Emails if the data usage is more normal.

Hope this helps

Steve

Please Click Kudos if I have helped you :smileyhappy:

Message 21 of 46 (5,211 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

@big_chris

Had a quick scan back through the thread, no mention of which provider you use for email? (sorry if I missed it)

Can you post the settings you are using?

Pop server    =

port               =

Security type =

smtp server   =

Port               =

Security type =

Require Sign in - yes/no

Also what options you have set regarding Email check frequency?

Do you have any "Quiet Hours" settings set on the phone?

What email software do you use on the PC?

What settings are set for that software?

TSD

Autism_sig.png

Message 22 of 46 (5,202 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
big_chris

@big_chris

Had a quick scan back through the thread, no mention of which provider you use for email? (sorry if I missed it)

Can you post the settings you are using?

Pop server = mail.glashaboy.com

port = 110

Security type = none

smtp server = auth.glashaboy.com

Port = 587

Security type = none

Require Sign in - yes

Also what options you have set regarding Email check frequency? I check every hour

Do you have any "Quiet Hours" settings set on the phone? What do you mean? it is a 24/7 device

What email software do you use on the PC? Microsoft Outlook

What settings are set for that software? Does it matter? Been set like this for 2 yrs+ and no problems before ICS

Chris

Message 23 of 46 (5,186 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

[ Edited ]

Hi big_chris

Thanks for posting the info :smileyhappy:

RE: Outlook Settings

I only ask because ICS has a lot more options than GB so it's quite possible that there will be a conflicting setting either on the phone or PC. :smileywink:

I'll look more closely at these settings...

TimDroid-wink-small.png

Autism_sig.png

Message 24 of 46 (5,179 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
Stampede

All,

I am having the very same issue. Analysis shows that it is the email program creating the Hi Data Use.

I am abroard, so this is now costing me money to keep in contact with important emails.

This problem has only occurred since updating to ICS last weekend. I am now having to turn off data to prevent overzealous data roaming charges.

Can someone from Vodafone please comment on this issue?

Stampede.

Message 25 of 46 (5,087 Views)
Stampede

Ok,

Solution found.

Downloaded K9 mail program and ditched oem Mail that arrived with ICS.

Data usage back to normal, so obviously a problem with ICS mail.

Will be taking a trip to local store on the weekend to request refund of data charges sustained while analysing situation!!

Stampede.

Message 26 of 46 (5,054 Views)
swarren

@Stampede

Glad you got the problem sorted, hope you get your data charges refunded

I suggested using K9 mail simply because it gives you many more options to customise the settings of how it retrieves your Emails.

Steve

Message 27 of 46 (5,022 Views)
Outtasight

I've started having the EXACT same problem on my S2 since doing the over the air upgrade to ICS.

I monitor 3 POP accounts with the OEM client set to download once a day.  Under the previous Android version this resulted in TRIVIAL amounts of data use per month (like 10Mb).  I only get 5-10 e-mails a day and rarely do e-mail on my phone (mostly on a laptop at home).  Nothing has changed... No massive attachments, no millions of mails a day increase.

Then suddenly I got a warning text from Vodafone on Sunday morning saying I'm close to my 250Mb limit.  What the xxxx ???

I checked it the same evening and it was now over the limit and I'd been charged £5 for another data allocation!!!!  I hadn't done ANY e-mails that day and received 2-3.

I thought my phone had been hacked or picked up a virus.  But finding this thread, I checked the data use screen and it's all down to the e-mail client and the 250Mb of data use is ALL "background data".  When you click on the mail client line in the screen grab above on your phone it breaks the figure down to active user use (caused by sending and receiving mails actively when in the client) and "background data use" caused by the program going nuts in the background without you even touching it.

Of course what I noticed first was that all of a sudden the battery started running down really fast (as it's trasnmitting hundreds of megabytes over the mobile network all the time).

I've set the data limit in the OS and it's now locked down tight with the data function disabled until Vodafone and Google sort this mess out.

I've lodged an e-mail complaint on the Vodafone account portal...  Not relishing a protracted fight to get my £5 back and this bug fixed.

Message 28 of 46 (4,967 Views)
big_chris

Message 29 of 46 (4,961 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Hi big_chris, Outtasight and Stampede,

The Vodafone network is passive, so won't be requesting any data, simply passing requested or pushed data between the handset and the server. We would then measure the usage travelling to and from the SIM and record that on the account.

I'm going to pop you each a PM so we can take a closer look for you, compare the usage to previous activity and so on. Just follow the directions in there to get us your details. This will also help us to get this raised for investigation if needed, for example if we can pinpoint a common issue.

You can find your PM inbox here. If you can't access this link, please ensure that the box next to "Turn on private messages" is ticked on this page, and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 30 of 46 (4,912 Views)
ChrisWeston

Hi everyone,
Excuse the intrusion but I am having the same problems since upgrading to ICS via network operator at great cost. My data useage went mental, about 1.5gig mainly in emails.Various calls to VF have achieved little except having to up my data allowance and now having to install Wi Fi at home.I am forced to turn off email when I go out of range from home.I have emailed Customer services again today so hopefully something will get sorted now.
Regards,
ChrisW
Message 31 of 46 (4,918 Views)
Outtasight

@Dave

Thanks and I've done as requested in the PM.

My already open ticket with support was going nowhere fast.  First they said there was no problem with the data usage measurement system or the billing engine so I should just accept it and pay up - DUH.  Yeah.  The issue is not the accuracy of those systems but the mail client generating all that junk traffic that is eating up my allowance and costing me money and loss of service (I've had to totally disable data service on the phone).  The helpful suggestion that I could disable my data function on the phone if I thought the data usage was excessive was about as helpful as suggesting I should give up driving my car if a wheel was broken.

The second time around I got an even less helpful response from a different help desk operator who cut and paste a FAQ script about how to update the software on my phone.  I might as well have been talking to a low rent AI than a person capable of reading a question and answering it.

Message 32 of 46 (4,902 Views)
ChrisWeston

One wonders what is going on exactly. I came out of a free 'test drive' only to find warnings about excessive use of data..I increased my allowance to 750Mb thinking that might cover. My contract is £29 p/m and my bill stands at over £47 and its not even the end of my data period yet! Thank goodness I installed WiFi yesterday as this may help, but I will have to turn data off when I go walkabout.I only receive a few poxy emails a day!
I have like a lot of others spent ages looking around the forums for a solution to this.One things for deffo-I'll be winding up my contract if its not sorted soon and persuing for refund thro other channels.
Why they can't just come clean about it and resolve the problem is beyond me.
Chris
Message 33 of 46 (4,898 Views)
Outtasight

The issue is that the problem software isn't Vodafone's but a bad update to the e-mail client from Google (it came with Android 4.0).

Before the update to 4.0 my data use each month was tiny (like 10-20 MB out of the 250MB I'm allowed).. This is mostly because I don't use mobile data much but have Wi-Fi set up at home and my folks house so I can usually surf and watch YouTube and so on over a free connection (not Vodafone).

That's why it's all the more amazing that the one piece of software on the phone that is only set to sync with mail servers once a day could suddenly start consuming hundreds of MBs while doing sweet FA.  It's probably simple for Google to fix.  It's probably no more than the program stuck in a loop constantly polling the POP mail servers and downloading all the messages once a second rather than once a day.

I wouldn't even mind it so much if Vodafone put their hands up and said "ok it's a problem.  We're on it.  We're talking to Google / Samsung and we'll get a patch out soon.  Please disable your data service for a week (or whatever) and we'll sort you out later."

That would be nice... That would keep me on side as a customer who joined Vodafone when I had an analogue phone the size of a CB radio that ran on AA batteries.

Software goes wrong.  It happens.  How they deal with it is the key.

And it should be a priority for them to fix it.  Vodafone may make a bit of money in the short term from excessive junk traffic on their network but only a fool would think that short term profit is worth loads of devices pouring junk traffic on to their network and congesting it. The traffic causes overloads and poor performance and if left unchecked would need them to have to invest money to upgrade the network capacity just to carry what is almost a denial of service flood attack! 

Nobody could be that stupid... Right?

Message 34 of 46 (4,891 Views)
big_chris

Hi I spoke to CD and they upped my data allowance. My usual bill is over 100 per month so they are looking after me. I installed k9 and that is working ok so I will use that until next firmware update.

Cheers all
Message 35 of 46 (4,888 Views)
big_chris

CD meant to be Vodafone in above post....productively text playing up
Message 36 of 46 (4,887 Views)
Outtasight

A couple of screen shots from my phone in the data analyser...  For the whole month I had 35 e-mails, all less than 100kb in size (most about 20-30kb) and one that was 2Mb.  There are 3 POP accounts I monitor and this was the sum of all of them.  I use Mailwasher on the PC to deal with spam and delete it at the mail server before downloading it anywhere (phone or Outlook).  Messages that I don't delete with Mailwasher tend to sit in the POP server for a few days (and visible to the phone) until I fire up the PC that has Outlook and do a send/receive.  Outlook is set to delete messages from the POP server as soon as they are downloaded.  So messages that arrive and are either deleted by Mailwasher or downloaded and deleted from the mail server by Outlook are often never even downloaded by the phone because it it set to only check the mail server once a day.

The active foreground data use is (I assume) where I was in the mail client program and actively forcing a unscheduled mail check or sending replies to messages.  It's a tiny amount of data.  The traffic was all this "background data".

Looking at the second worst offender, the newly updated  BBC News widget will have to go as it consumed 31Mb updating its photos in the background when I wasn't watching it.  The old BBC News thingy only updated its stories when you opened the app.  The new one "helpfully" chomps your data allowance when you aren't using it.

Screenshot_2012-06-01-22-52-51.png

Screenshot_2012-06-01-22-56-04.png

Message 37 of 46 (4,829 Views)
swarren

Hi Guys

There seems to be some isolated cases of the high data usage using the stock Email app, the cases I've seen are all using POP3 accounts.  I use the Stock Email account for my Emails using an IMAP account and have no problems at all.

I use K9 mail for my work Emails (IMAP account again) and this is can be customised to reduce data usage, the forum members I have helped with POP3 accounts all report that the data usage drops to "next to nothing" using K9, it seems that K9 just handles POP3 better than the stock Email.

Hope this helps

Steve

Message 38 of 46 (4,812 Views)
Darwin007

Hi,

I also seem to be afflicted by this bug!

Average monthly usage in the 4 months available in my online account is 97.75 MB, which has shot up to 3.44GB in the billing cycle for June!!! :mansurprised:

Again for me the only change has been upgrade to ICS which I did around the 12th May. Again looking back through my online bill, it is after this that the daily use of data jumps dramatically from a high of 39MB (when I was away from home relying solely on mobile internet), to a low of 77MB (when back at home using wifi in the evenings).

I recommend all who are having these issues to check back through their bills in an effort to tie in increased data usage with the date of firmware update.

I'm shortly going to call vodafone to try to resolve the issue and get some recompence (sic?) for the increased bill I will get as a result of this bug.

Message 39 of 46 (4,700 Views)
swarren

@big_chris

Is it a POP3 account, I ask because all the reports of this problem I've seen have been with POP3 accounts, I haven't seen any reports of this happening with IMAP accounts.

The solution is to use K9 mail, this third party app appears to handle POP3 accounts better than the Stock Email app.

I have suggested this solution to a few people now and had no reports of any problems afterwards.

Hope this helps

Steve

Message 40 of 46 (4,676 Views)