Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

Re: Galaxy S2 and ICS...problems

I think it's going to be more important than ever to read the "Permissions" of an App before you download it.

Some Developers are very slow to add compatibility to their Apps! Always best to check before downloading.

Wink.gif

Autism_sig.png

Message 21 of 44 (7,888 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
Gilesgf1

Mine hasn't restarted but I have experienced the Wi-Fi not switching on when coming home (the icon goes green but the brightness dulls.. it can stay like that for a while).

I haven't found out why it does it but an old Motorola Atrix trick works, and that is to switch it to airplane mode and then then back to normal.

Not ideal, I know, but better than a resart

Message 22 of 44 (7,878 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
theceilingman

all ok today no switching off and very quick to connect to wifi. lets hope it stays this way. still have all the apps that i had before update they are still working ok.:manhappy:

Message 23 of 44 (7,813 Views)
sakan

Since ICS, my phone screen randomly freezes or stay off. The only way to get the phone to work is by taking the battery out and putting it in again. the will feel very hot and the battery drains about 25-50% of its charge in about one minute.

This thing happens nearly every day. never had any such a problem with phone before ICS.

I have done hard reset but that didn't solve the problem.

Attaced is a screen shot of the battery graph.

Message 24 of 44 (7,792 Views)
wahdbaxide

Back again with another strange one since the ICS update on my SGS2.. Screen is blank, plugged in USB and connected to PC.. PC identifies phone but can't connect. Tried calling mobile, I can hear the ring on the line - but not on the actual handset.
So the phone looks dead - no action on screen, feels dead as none of the buttons/keys work.. but it responds with sound when I connect to a PC and Kies can't connect to it..
Ok looks like another factory reset and re-install needed.
Message 25 of 44 (7,754 Views)
scattysmum

[ Edited ]

Re the fully charged fone switching itself off randomly.. since ICS it's happening to me too... exactly the same, except that today it's done it twice :smileysad:

Message 26 of 44 (7,501 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

The first thing to try is a Factory Reset.

If that doesn't change anything then the phone will need to go for a free under warranty repair.

Wink.gif

Autism_sig.png

Message 27 of 44 (7,489 Views)
billigmeister

Have to say i am having the exact same symptoms as some on this thread.

Having a full charge, phone is in pocket for a couple of hours and when you go to use it is dead/off and very hot. Only way to restart it is to take battery out and start again.

one thing i note is that the battery is severely depleted when turned on - down to something like 30-40% when it is back on - and that is after 2 hours of not "being used".

I am going to try a factory reset tonight to see if this might do something otherwise i will need to send it back under warranty.

Message 28 of 44 (7,408 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
NeoBlade

Anyone experienced some issues where the screen just stays on? I had a look at the stats and something is keeping the phone awake as well (which eats up battery when it should be idle/deep sleep). Shall double check the apps when I have time...

Other than that and the random battery drain at times, there hasn't been any reboots and ther performance is great. Just a shame there is no official method to disable the damn voice recognition when you double tap the home button!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 29 of 44 (7,405 Views)
theceilingman

I have found out that if you replug your charger into the phone briefly once the warning notice comes up it will not happen again for about another 10 to 15 minutes tried that twice in the last two days and it works to stop the battery from sudden discharge. Also charged the phone as soupdragon said but this made no difference. I have the official Samsung car dock and this will charger the phone direct and so far it has not happened today straight from a full charge. Will try again tonight and will post tomorrow with result.
Message 30 of 44 (7,385 Views)
wahdbaxide

Well I'm back again to report back about the Galaxy Blank screen issue... Did the factory reset, twice.. loaded some apps like Angry Birds space etc that was working under Gingerbread. All good for a few days then yesterday the blank screen appeared again. Yep it was fully charged etc. I wonder if there is any dump logs / applications that can be used to find out the problem. It feels more software related than hardware as it never happened in the previous version. Can any of our experts help with this? Cheers
Message 31 of 44 (7,329 Views)
theceilingman

after another nights charge in the samsung car dock still ok.

Message 32 of 44 (7,322 Views)
NeoBlade

Try using this - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jtb.alogcat&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxL...

Failing that you could setup ADB and pull a log from there when it happens. Feel free to pass it on to me to go through it if you'd like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 33 of 44 (7,287 Views)
sakan

Dear NeoBlade,

I have had a similar problem that I did post on this thread earlier. I did try full hard reset (using the code). I have followed your advice and installed (aLogcat) this morning. I didn’t have any freeze or blank screen yet, but the log does show frequent error “E/DataRouter( 1827): DrReadUsbStatus returns false USB is offline”.

I have absolutely no clue about what does this error mean.

Can you (or any one else) give me any advice, please?

My firmware details are:

PDA: I9100XWLP7

PHONE: I9100XXLPS

CSC: I9100XEULP5

N.B.: attached is the error log.

Message 34 of 44 (7,264 Views)
NeoBlade

Sorry for the late reply (been busy working on websites!). I shall have a look through the log now. 

You haven't had any hard resets or anything as well? I'll try and get an ADB/DDMS package sorted once I'm back on a Windows machine to help troubleshoot things even more. I'll get back to you soon Sakan. Keep the log going though, hopefully when you do get the issue it will be reported. 

It is easier to troubleshoot via DDMS as you get a realtime log running on your computer, but then of course you'd need a computer to be plugged into the phone before it happens. I ususally do such testing in the evening back at home.

Message 35 of 44 (7,110 Views)
NeoBlade

For those suffering from the black screen issue on their Samsung Galaxy S2, do you run the Power Saver mode and/or have any kind of Battery Saver type applications installed (Green Power, Juice Defender, etc)?

Also could you please post your Kernel version? Thanks.

Message 36 of 44 (7,103 Views)
billigmeister

No battery savers apps and power save mode is not on.

kernel is 3.0.15-i9100bulpc-cl332484 dpi@dell154 #3
Message 37 of 44 (7,101 Views)
NeoBlade

Thanks for your reply. Thinking about it more, most likely everyone will be on the same kernel here so at least I now know the model number. I have read that some issues can occur when the incorrect modem and kernel are together. Also there have been recent patches to the SGS2 kernel that fix some issues... Not sure if they will get pushed out though by Vodafone just yet until they can verify the findings.

Message 38 of 44 (7,099 Views)
sakan

[ Edited ]

The kernel version is: 3.0.15-I9100XWLP7-CL340913 dpi@DELL134 #3

I did hard reset then flashed GB 2.3.4 using odin, then I connected my phone via Kies and it did install the ICS 4.0.3 again. I followed that by another hard reset (*2767*3855#). I am adding application really slowly (i.e. one or two apps every two days) just to try to find out which of the applications were causing the black screen and battery drain.

I have to say, so far the phone did not freeze at all and the battery life has been excellent.

Regarding your question about any battery saving application my answer is (Yes). I did have “Easy Battery Saver” before. none at present.

At present all what I have installed are Facebook and Twitter applications.

Message 39 of 44 (7,046 Views)
NeoBlade

Let us know how your testing comes along Sakan. Try to avoid a battery saving app for now if possible as usually black screens of death means something isn't loading upon wakeup when it should be, hence forcing you to reboot. Some suggested that it was due to power saving kicking in and not activating the radio etc which causes the hang... However without one in front of me and the issue happening I can't trace it.

If it does happen though see if you can grab a logcat of it.

Message 40 of 44 (7,029 Views)