You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

Galaxy S2 problems

Had this handset less than a week and apart from being very slick I am finding this phone a little disappointing.  The battery life is terrible and even when it shows as 3g or HSDPA I cannot get use any data services, eg internet, facebook, email etc. I found the problem is even worse when I go out of reception and then back in it takes an age to decide to start allowing me to use data again. Also even when it doesnt allow me to use data, I can take my wife's iphone and use it without any problems.

Regarding the battery life, I have read that the new firmware 2.3.4 improves it but as this is a vodafone branded one I cannot upgrade from 2.3.3.  I am not prepared to debrand it myself.  I have installed Kies and it says the phone is up to date but this I expect is only to Vodafones branded firmware and not the official Samsung one.

Who can I speak to at Vodafone to get this sorted?  I have tried phoning the help service on 191 but they have no technical experience of these phones to say what to do.  They don't understand regarding the branded firmware either. I just tried to call and their systems are down and won't be back on for another 24 hours, useless really.

So before I send the phone back and cancel my vodafone contract is there anyone at vodafone I can talk to?  This doesn't just affect my phone as it would appear by searching the net that others suffer the same problem too.  I have tried the various fixes for the battery life and while it has improved it still doesnt last a working day and thats without making calls, therefore the phone to me is useless.

Message 1 of 13 (3,366 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V

Re: Galaxy S2 problems

Manuel Cat wrote:

Had this handset less than a week and apart from being very slick I am finding this phone a little disappointing.  The battery life is terrible and even when it shows as 3g or HSDPA I cannot get use any data services, eg internet, facebook, email etc. I found the problem is even worse when I go out of reception and then back in it takes an age to decide to start allowing me to use data again. Also even when it doesnt allow me to use data, I can take my wife's iphone and use it without any problems.

Regarding the battery life, I have read that the new firmware 2.3.4 improves it but as this is a vodafone branded one I cannot upgrade from 2.3.3.  I am not prepared to debrand it myself.  I have installed Kies and it says the phone is up to date but this I expect is only to Vodafones branded firmware and not the official Samsung one.

Who can I speak to at Vodafone to get this sorted?  I have tried phoning the help service on 191 but they have no technical experience of these phones to say what to do.  They don't understand regarding the branded firmware either. I just tried to call and their systems are down and won't be back on for another 24 hours, useless really.

So before I send the phone back and cancel my vodafone contract is there anyone at vodafone I can talk to?  This doesn't just affect my phone as it would appear by searching the net that others suffer the same problem too.  I have tried the various fixes for the battery life and while it has improved it still doesnt last a working day and thats without making calls, therefore the phone to me is useless.

Hi Cat,

Welcome to the eforum. First off these phones as well as other smart phones sadly like to use battery power, its in their nature lol. The Vodafone rom thats on it isn't causing the battery drain! What I would do first is check and see what apps you have running in the background and what apps are also using the data sync i.e Facebook etc.

The latest firmware doesn't improve the battery life. These batterys actually get better with age. I'm sure that after a good few charges/ discharges your battery will get better performance wise. For ultimate battery performance then you would have to go down the "custom rom route"

The best bet is to search and read through this forum as we have covered the battery and how to train your battery several times :smileywink:

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 2 of 13 (3,347 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III

[ Edited ]

I agree with ado28 

But as you have found 2.3.3 has been a bad rom on all phones or its previous phone it was and 2.3.4 fixed this we hoped Vodafone would have learnt by now on updates 2.3.4 is a fix rom 

Me personally i would debrand and stick with Vodafon as a network then samsung look after firmware updates and fixes not Vodafone 

3G on 2.3.3 is a big drain but stuff running as ado28 said does not help Bluetooth and gps are a killer as well 

You can run through some test 

All so we can guide you through the de branding which will give you the phone samsung want you to have 

Message 3 of 13 (3,345 Views)

I have used various Blackberrys (Bolds, Curves and Storm) for the past 4 years and they have never been as bad as this Samsung.  They have last more than 24 hours without charge infact my last would go for 48 hours under the same use, this Samsung is bearly lasting 8.  I am using it in the same way as my Blackberry, for email and Facebook, thats it. Bluetooth and all other apps are turned off.

The problem with the Vodafone rom is that it isn't the latest and there are various posts on the android forums discussing the battery life improvements with the newer rom version. Unfortunately because its a Vodafone phone it can't be upgraded.  I do not want to debrand it myself, I am perfectly capable so no need for guiding but Vodafone are crippling these phones by using their outdated firmware.

Message 4 of 13 (3,315 Views)

Also, to say the batteries improve with age, the first day I got 6 hours, today 8.  

Heres the thread about the signal issues. This is exactly what mine does

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2/361794-3g-doesnt-work-after-regaining-signal.html

Message 5 of 13 (3,313 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I

Check to see if you are using the power save features.

Also setting WiFi sleep policy to Never, can also speed up the the 3g wake as it is the same aerial and some of the WiFi policies also affect other policies as well. (You don't need to have WiFi on all the time)

Do you have both Packet Data and Data Roaming Ticked? If not then tick both.

TSD

Banner.png

Message 6 of 13 (3,308 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V

Gotta disagree here and still say the drain has nothing to do with the Vodafone firmware. The firmware is easily sorted by flashing the stock firmware but in all honesty the stock firmware is just bloated too with Samsung junk. There are custom Roms out there which are stripped to the bone and give you days of useage but where's the fun in that. The galaxy does use power because it has good hardware. The best thing to do is enjoy the phone for what it is and if the battery is an issue then do what I do and have a spare battery in your pocket or the car etc.

For hints, tips and flashing guides, visit my youtube page www.youtube.com/puggereduk
Message 7 of 13 (3,304 Views)

[ Edited ]

Oh well lol if were all disagreeing 

Ado28 is right and wrong lol

He is right that its not just the Vodafone firmware 

But  2,3,3 on most phone it's a bad rom, on HTC there complaining of battery drain on 2.3.3 on different phones 

This was a Android problem The Nexus S was the first and Google worked fast on sorting the fix as well as other problems 

2.3.3 was Rushed and they were glad to get shut 

Now we had this!!!!!

chaps if you remember but your all custom now on the Galaxy S, I even rolled mine back as I could not get it to sort out, Now every one did what they did on other roms to sort the battery out and Nothing worked

The biggest drain was Android system files and Android Stand by and some phones got rather hot

I had 45 phones all went Gingerbread as it was so egarly awated  and I had to roll all back to 2.2.1 JPY (Dam good Rom) and me and my son do not want to go through that again and i told them not to update until 2.3.4 came out. 

And all had the same problem massive battery drain, Thankfully all is now well with one forgetting to charge and he started the day on 45% and it just lasted .... Just 

Yes the battery does take some settling down on first use or after a Flash the stats can be cleared on the Galaxy S still has a charge bug after unpluging it drops 4% 

As Ado28 said it does pay to have another charged battery 

And sat nav plut the phone in as Google maps drains to much white 

The batterys are a night mare but My wifes HTC was very bad but they do a Higher capacity battery and that sorted that out  the battery is way two low but this is a problem for thin phones and is a major draw back and one down side of a large screen and super amoled 

You will find on all smart phones other then apple with a large screen Battery drain is a pain so when you get things all fine on a rom then a update comes out that wrecks things they need sorting 

At the end of the day 2.3.4 is a fix rom and the Battery drain was on the list as well as Blutooth fixes 

the .4 at the end is the Four fix on 2.3 there is now a .5 only leaked what it has fixed no one inclooding samsung uk have no idea what it fixes 

Vodafone need to wake up and get with the fix program but no dout there will be a cost on doing this 

I can see were your coming from But were here to help but we do struggle with Vodafone stuff were good but not that good 

Message 8 of 13 (3,298 Views)

Hi Cat,

Yes the battery life is very poor and the email client is the worst on the market. Nice screen though! I find it gives me about half the battery time of the Nokia N8 that I also have so to date its just been hanging around especially with its major email/ Outlook problems on V2.3.3 and V2.3.4. Thinking of doing the same and dumping it on eBay. I'll wait until V2.3.5 and pray that it solves the Outlook problems with Android and if so I'll give it another try for a month. If not then its bye bye Android and I'll just stay where I am until next year and try something else. Annoying as people seem to think its quite good but apart from the screen which is very pretty there is not a great deal to it.

Good luck

Keith

Message 9 of 13 (3,266 Views)

This is one of the pit falls of having a thin phone !!!

if you look at the MAH on the phone its about the same as two AA batterys other devices do last longer but they don't have a super Amoled screen.

the chinese make high capacity batterys for the HTC but not for samsung just copys of the originals

we have had this on the Galaxy s and when 2.3.4 came out the battery drain improved big time after about three days

2.3.3 is a Rubbish rom and drain was a major problem and still is for Vodafone customers this is why they debrand cos there fed up of waiting and they want to use there phone 

Message 10 of 13 (3,259 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

If I change the CSC code from VOD to XEU will I get better firmware upgrades vias the dreaded Kies?

Message 11 of 13 (3,229 Views)

No just changing the CSC will not do that (if it was that simple)

If you change the CSC From VOD to XEU Kies will then say that it doe not recognize that firmware

Each area of Europe have there Own Codes and Firmware But the UK have also Codes for the Networks 

Now this also does help samsung Because if they Let every one at once have a update there servers will Jam

At the moment The Neterlands.Sweeden,Norway have just got the 2.3.4 update and there on XEE

Now once there all sorted Then the UK and the rest of europe on XEU will get the Update 

Now at the same time or before Networks Get the Rom for testing and any items they want to stick on 

Now this Normally takes two weeks 

Normally !!!!!!

Message 12 of 13 (3,207 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

So are you saying that an update for the S2 is imminent.......?

Message 13 of 13 (3,181 Views)
Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Stand out from the crowd