Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Galaxy S3 browser vunerability?

viggen
4: Newbie

Has anyone else had a notification from Lookout stating :

"Recently, a vulnerability was found in the default Android browser that would allow an attacker to steal data that you have entered while browsing the web on your Android device. The vulnerability affects the default Android browser and derivative versions like the Samsung browser, on Android versions 4.3 and older.

Since you have the default Android browser, or one of its variants (like the default Samsung browser) installed and are running a vulnerable version of Android,"

They suggest using chrome or firefox until this is fixed.

Obviously when I'm using an app to access facebook, twitter, youtube etc. how do I know if this is via my samsung browser or chrome which I also have on my phone. If I want to access any of these sites then would it be best done using chrome or the app button?

Also is a fix being planned?

1 REPLY 1

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

As far as I'm aware, apps make their own connections and don't work via the browser. Although some elements may take you down that route, you'd know as the browser itself would open up (or you'd be asked to make a choice if you have more than one installed and haven't set a default.

If you're worried, you could simply go for Firefox for the time being. Personally I prefer it to Chrome, though I've used older versions of the Samsung one and like them too.   I also have Opera Mini, which uses compression, for use with a slow connection.

Updates to the Samsung browser may come direct or may have to wait for an update to be approved via Vodadone.   Chrome, however, is part of Android, so updates should be released on Google Play.