cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Galaxy S3 wifi connection now automatic!!

viggen
4: Newbie

Hi,

My S3 now connects to my home wifi without any help from me! Before I go to bed I have always turned on Flight mode to avoid being disturbed and always ensure wifi is off. For the past early mornings I've been woken up by various notifications for emails, facebook twitter etc and when checked my phone the wifi is connected even in flight mode. This happened today so I turned it off and when I got up I disabled flight mode. A few minutes later wifi connected itself and notifications started to arrive.

I also have another problem concerning flight mode which involves my contacts list but will post that seperately.

Anyone else had this wifi issue? 

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Hi

If a phone is placed on flight mode / airplane mode nothing should over ride that imo.

When I place my iPhone 6 Plus on Airplane Mkde it stays that way.

Is their anything in your settings that sheds any light on this ?

You may want to liase with Samsung UK Support for assistance.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

On the S5 there is a setting in the WiFi Advanced options that allows the handset to constantly scan for WiFi networks, even if WiFi is off.  I am wondering if this is perhaps enabled and is the cause of your problem?

PWIAC

Thanks for the replies. The setting for scanning ( google location service) was on so I've turned it off to see if it makes a difference. I haven't touched any of the phone settings since the last firmware update which was a while back. Maybe it's google's attempt in trying to take over the world that's at the root of this!! I already had to switch off it's music app as it was affecting the playback quality which was very noticeable when using headphones.

drey_p

It may be a Google thing - there seems to be more an more of their stuff coming through on handsets and most of it isn't stuff I want or need. 

Please let me know if disabling that setting works.  

PWIAC

Afraid that didn't work. Woke me up 3 hours after going to bed with notifications flooding in. Just got off chatting with Samsung help and they have suggested a factory reset. Most helpful and gave me this link to assist with saving data etc http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/smartswitch/

will give it a whirl later but got lots to do at moment.

I will report back at a later date.

Cheers all

hrym

My Samsung devices are all old and the setting for wifi is limited to "keep wifi on when device is off", which isn't quite the same, but is similar.   Samsung tend to update their manuals as new operating systems come out, so it might be worth looking for the current one on their website and seeing if there's any further information.

Sony have a similar thing which will turn wifi on if it detects an available network, but that also can be toggled.

Thought I would give an update. Did a factory reset but still got notifications coming through via wifi which had been switched off with flight mode enabled. Seemed to happen at same time , 7.20 am for the next couple of mornings. I then started to think about any recent apps I had installed and could only think of one which was Vodafone Protect. So I uninstalled that and guess what no more wifi switching itself on. I gave it a few days before re-installing Vodafone Protect and was fully expecting morning awakenings. But no, it has all gone quiet and this problem has gone away. Still none the wiser why it happened in the first place but thankful it now appears to be resolved!

Thanks for all your input.

I spoke too soon! A few more days after re-installing Vodafone Protect the wi fi starting turning itself on again even in flight mode. I have since uninstalled the app for good and have peace at last with no more early morning notifications. Can only think Protect is the culprit. Maybe something in the settings to periodically check the whereabouts of the phone.

Vodaphone is my provider and maybe its bloatware also has something to do with it?

Hi,

I too have this problem - have noticed it over the last month or so.I actually witnessed the WiFi connection happening yesterday evening, and then checked all my settings. WiFi was not set to off!! However, I don't have Vodafone Protect installed. Maybe it's one of the other Vodafone apps I have installed. I will try uninstalling them one at a time and see what happens.