Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 help please

darrow
3: Seeker

Hello

I have just received my new Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 on pay monthly with 4GB data.  I have a couple of questions that I am hoping someone might know the answer to..

Firstly a stock Android dialer is inlcuded, the same as the one on my Note 3 mobile.  I can send and receive text messages OK but it wont connect if I call a number (or if I call the tablet).  To be honest I wasnt expecting it to be a phone but as the function exists I am wondering if it should work? If so, what are the charges etc?

Secondly one of the reasons I chose this tablet is because it has a multi-user mode according to the spec but I cannot for the life of me find it - can anyone tell me how I set this up?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

Hi

Thank you for posting this.  I am aware that this should be how it works but the 'Users' button doesnt exist on my Tab.

Thanks

Yes, the Samsung number was closed.  I'm not an idiot I do understand that numbers arent 24 hour and that Vodafone may not be able to influence Samsung's opening times.  My issue is that if I call Vodafone and select the support option and then get through to someone I expect more than to simply say they cannot help me and not even try to but tell me to call Samsung.  It doesnt take much to alert the support staff at Vodafone of the opening hours for the support line of what must be their biggest phone supplier.  Anyway, that is all history now.  The point is the multi-user function has been removed by the last firmware update.  However nobody told me that when I bought it (the sales person obviously wasnt aware) and even now, weeks after it was removed and more than a week after I pointed it out on here the description on the website still indicates the Galaxy has multi-user capabilities.  I have been with Vodafone more than 15 years, have 3 phones and 2 tablets with Vodafone and I spend around £200 every month and I am disappointed and have pointed that out several times.  I still havent had anyone from Vodafone come back to me.

hrym
17: Community Champion

My point was that the Samsung number may have changed and Vodafone may not have been aware of that at the time.  I also wasn't sure from what you said what time of day you were calling. Many helplines are 24 hours these days, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that this one MIGHT be.

As I understand it, when you bought the device, it did what you wanted and it's the update that's caused the problem?   If that's the case, then you were correctly sold the device and your case would be with Samsung as it's their upgrade that's caused the problem*.  It's strange that they've removed a feature that's a standard component of Android on tablets, but they change a lot of the code  - something Google don't like at all, as a matter of fact - and it may be that this has caused security concerns.  Either that, or the Google multi-user option isn't as secure as we thought it was and Samsung are ahead of the curve.  Clearly, sellers can't predict what may come in future software updates and how these may affect the usability of the device.

You are right, though, that the sales literature is showing the function as being avaiable.  It's possible that the devices Vodafone have are still on the version of the OS that includes multiple users, which makes it a bit difficult for them - they can't update their stock and still sell it as new.

Your obvious argument would be that the device isn't as it was sold to you and isn't fit for purpose.  The problem with that is that the counter argument is that it was as-described when you bought it and that it's the upgrade, which you applied, that's caused the problem.  Release notes do exist, but aren't easy to find and very few people read them - mostly the changes are minor and often cosmetic.  I've never seen them put out with an update as a read-me.  In this case, that would have been helpful, but I still think most people would have missed it - you are, after all, not expecting a major feature to be removed - though it can happen.

* If the upgrade has been approved by Vodafone, the position potentially changes.

Edited to add: the other possibility is that Google have objected to Samsung marking their device as multi-user, applying it's somehow different to other Android tablets, when it isn't.  They've either removed the feature in a fit of pique or the standard Google one isn't compatible with their re-write of Android.  In that case, I'd expect it to come back in a later update.

Dear hrym

Thank you for your response. I understand your point about the helpline, I was just dissapointed that Vodafone made no effort to help me themselves. I would understand it if they tried as much as they could and then reverted me to Samsung for manufacturer support - that would be quite reasonable.  I simply took issue with the immediate slopy shoulder from Vodafone.  Anyway, that is in the past.  I have given my feedback which they can choose to ignore or take on board.

As for the multi-user feature this was apparently removed in a (general) update in the past, some time before I purchased the device.  Of course if I had purchased the device and then updated it I wouldnt hold Vodafone accountable for this (unless it was a Vodafone OTA update and I wasnt warned about the changes if I were to update).  I bought the device thinking it had the multi-user feature as I was told that on the phone and the Vodafone website trumpeted this fact.  When it arrived it turned out that it didnt have this feature as it had been removed in a previous firmware update (clearly the firmware loaded at manufacture was the latest version, excluding this feature).

I could have gone down the not fit for purpose route but as I was told (by Samsung) that this function would be re-introduced in the next firmware update I decided to wait.  As it happens the update happened on Saturday and I now have this function.

I agree that Vodafone may have had mixed inventory and that the serial number data will probably only store the Android version (i.e. 4.2.2) not build firmware number.  However possibly if the Vodafone person I reached when I first called had made even the slightest attempt to help me she might have found reference somewhere to this issue as I have to believe a company like Vodafone must have a knowledge base of some kind.

Anyway I now have what I expected to have so this should now be put to bed

Thank you

hrym

As it was only a temporary removal (I thought it would be), I don't think Vodafone would necessarily have known about it.  This may be why they pushed you to Samsung  - they simply had no information.  The functionality is back, so all's well and I don't think the device was mis-sold then or is being mis-sold now.

darrow
Just to clarify, I have never said I thought it was miss-sold (I believe it is your post that first mentions this) Merely that I was annoyed that the function wasn't there and that Vodafone palmed me off without trying to help and frankly should really have been more knowledgeable and more helpful. Having said that (and I only point this out as you have raised it and you seem to be a regular contributor to this forum so people may well be influenced by your comments and might take them as a qualified result of reviewing the situation) if you are explicitly told something does something that it does not then it is miss-sold even if it wasn't deliberate. It is the vendors responsibility to know what they are selling. The fact that it was temporary is irrelevant, partly because it was not temporary at the time of sale but also because it is only now that I have updated it (at my cost, albeit negligible) that it performs the function that it was claimed to have supported and on which my decision to enter into a contract was made. I don't think Vodafone deliberately miss - lead me but the way they handle this whole thing is poor.

hrym

Fair enough.   Your complaint seemed to be against Vodafone, that was all.  In this case, there was a short-term system update that disabled one of the features of the device, but it was restored soon after.  It's quite likely that the Vodafone people wouldn't be aware of that, but I'm sure they are now.

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Ok It looks to me that Vodafone has done this

and it wouldn't be the first time or the last that Vodafone has removed somthing they should not of

The wifi Models Not sold by Vodafone do have this

But the LTE Models are controlled by Networks or you by a Open Network verstion

Samsung will tell you eventually that thi is down to Vodafone

who for some stupid reason Think the no what us as customers want and remove stuff that is part of the phone

so the finger points to Vodafone why has this been removed from the Firmware ???