Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 help please

darrow
3: Seeker

Hello

I have just received my new Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 on pay monthly with 4GB data.  I have a couple of questions that I am hoping someone might know the answer to..

Firstly a stock Android dialer is inlcuded, the same as the one on my Note 3 mobile.  I can send and receive text messages OK but it wont connect if I call a number (or if I call the tablet).  To be honest I wasnt expecting it to be a phone but as the function exists I am wondering if it should work? If so, what are the charges etc?

Secondly one of the reasons I chose this tablet is because it has a multi-user mode according to the spec but I cannot for the life of me find it - can anyone tell me how I set this up?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

hrym
17: Community Champion

As far as I'm aware, tablets come with a data-only plan that doesn't allow calls.   This can be changed, I believe, but you may get less data as a result.  Have a look at what's available and see whether there's something you prefer or whether you'd rather stay as you are.   The tablet is (I think) capable of making calls, hence the dialler, but the plan precluds it at the moment.

I can't help with multi-user setup, but I would recommend downloading the full manual from the Samsung website.  There's a lot more in there than you get with the Getting Started leaflet.

Thank you. That was what I had assumed and as I say I wasnt expecting to use it as a phone anyway.

However I am starting to get quite annoyed about the Multi User feature and the lack of response from Vodafone to my message yesterday.  I even called them last night and was told I needed to speak to Samsung for support.  I was annoyed enough at this only to find that the Samsung line was closed and trying to get through to them today has proved impossible so far.  Googling some more I can only find Tab 4 8.0 in the US and Singapore and looking at the manual they talk about Multi-User.  Mine definitely does not have this function (certainly not following the manual).  A colleague of mine has a tab 3 and his does.  I am starting to wonder if this tablet is an import by Vodafone and has a phone firmware and not a tablet one (although it has got 4.4.2).  I am very unhappy with not having Multi-User and if I cannot get a response from someone about this I will be returning the tablet. 

Thanks

hrym

The team here take up to 48 hours to respond, but will get to you.  It's not an instant service, so hang on.  I wouldn't expect the people a Customer Services to have too much info on specific devices.   I thought you could contact Samsung via their website (phoning is almost always a non-starter these days) and their service is normally very good.  I assume they work normal hours and don't offer a 24/7 service, though.

I've got the current Vodafone devices brochure here and the blurb for the Tab 4 majors on "profiles for the whole family", so it must be possible.   The Tech Team can probably help with this.   I must say I haven't see the the 4 anywhere else, but Samsung seem to be releasing a new tablet every few minutes at the moment!  It's also possible this one is a Vodafone exclusive.  The Team should at least be able to lay their hands on a device to check.

It would be very odd if the function wasn't available, especially as it's a major selling feature and there are various possible explanations, from it simply not being there to your not having the latest firmware (though you should) or the implementation being different.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi darrow,

We don't offer support for every new feature on a device however, I've searched online and do believe this feature to be available in our range of the Tab 4 8.0. 

I'd recommend you contact Samsung direct, who'll be able to help. 

Thanks,

Sukhi

hrym

This is a big selling point in the Vodafone literature and it's going to be a major problem if it's not there.  Could someone not get hold of a device and see if the instructions in the manual (available on Samsung.com) work?   It sounds straightforward enough.

Thank you Sukhi from the Tech Team for trying to help but but you have inadvertantly demonstrated part of my frustration with Vodafone support.  The tablet you are recommending IS the tablet I have and it doesnt have mult-user function...

Thanks

darrow
Thank you everyone. I finally heard back from Samsung. Apparently it was removed in the last software update due to security concerns. It was 'recentish' according to Samsung. As for Vodafone I think if I pay £32 for a service every month I expect better support than be palmed off to a line which is closed.

hrym

When you say "palmed off to a line which is close", do you mean the contact number for Samsung?   I'm not sure how Vodafone could know this is closed, especially if it's the one Samsung are quoting?   If you were given a specific number, which may have changed recently, I'd go to the Samsung UK website, click the Support tab and look for the contact details there.  As I said before, support is generally by email these days, so a number may well not be manned all the time and probably not 24/7.

The fact that profiles are no longer available is something we need to know, though.

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Ok i have used this and on a unbranded WiFi it works

see

its the same on All the latest Tabs

make sure you make Your account Admin and the rest as users

Also explained on

Now if Users is not shown in the Genaral tab after a Factory wipe it Means Vodafone for some stupid reason has removed this

( You will not get a Answer out of them why )