Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gear S Sim Card

ukstripey
1: Seeker

I'm looking at getting a Gear S and that requires a sim card for full functionality BUT I don't want to be swapping between phone and watch - do Voda allow a second sim on the same account?

4 REPLIES 4

hrym
17: Community Champion

Sadly no.   Having had a look at the spec for the Gear S, it appears to be designed as a standalone deive, hence the need for a SIM.  It has Bluetooth, so does it also offer the opportunity to pair it with a phone like compantion devices such as the Gear 2?   I'm not clear from the Samsung website.

I think that, if you wanted to use this device, you'd need a separate line (and therefore number) for it.

Hi

yes you can pair it with your main phone but it would be good to have a second sim as then when the phone is out of bluetooth range you would be on the same number.

Looks like the networks stopped it a few yeasr ago, be interesting to see if they will start making them available again with the popularity of these things growing

hrym

This is the first device I've seen that has the option to put a SIM in it and use it as a standalone device.  Most of them simply pair with a phone.

You could either set up a Red Sharer plan, or simply use a PAYG SIM in the watch.   In the latter case, you'd ned to make sure that you can turn mobile data off on it, otherwise it'll incur the daily £2 data charge even for a momentary connection.

TBH, unless you use it this way a lot, I'd say it's probably a lot more trouble than it's worth - though I can see it might be very handy for some patterns of use.

Hi,

Went into local Vodafone shop to ask the very same question.

Seems at the mo Vodafone do not currently support the option to have two Sims on the same number and thus share data/texts/minutes.  I find this very disappointing as the popularity of smart phones is on the rise and the ability to use the watch as a standalone device would be advantageous.

In principle the Red Sharer plan is a good idea but in this instance I don't see why I should have to pay extra to share my data/texts/minutes with myself, so the only other way I can think of achieving it is to get the cheapest Sim deal going and forward unanswered calls to the Sim in the watch.

Has anyone else done this?

Andy