Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Montala

How can I re-arrange Application icons automatically on Galaxy S?

Hi,

I have recently acquired a new Galaxy S which, as they, do came with about three pages of pre-installed applications.

Having already removed some I know I will never use (and added a few new ones) I now find that I have been left with a few 'holes' in the grid on one or two pages.

My question is, "Is there a way to automatically sort the remaining icons, including any new ones, into alphabetical order again, and filling in the holes, as it were"?

It had hoped that going into 'column' format and then back to 'grid' again might achieve this, but it doesn't seem to!

I know that (in theory) you can do this 'manually', but whenever I attempt this, I end up with icons flying all over the place.

I could do this on my iPhone 3GS, so I am hoping that there will be a way on here also!

Thanks. :smileyhappy:

Message 1 of 6 (4,184 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

Re: How can I re-arrange Application icons automatically on Galaxy S?

Montala wrote:

My question is, "Is there a way to automatically sort the remaining icons, including any new ones, into alphabetical order again, and filling in the holes, as it were"?

Not in Grid view. :smileysad:

I treat Grid view as separate pages, I then arrange my apps into categories like this:-

Page 1 - Most frequently used apps, i.e. Core apps, Settings, clock, calculator etc.

Page 2 - Games

Page 3 - Navigation, Maps, Car Dock etc.

Page 4 - All Apps I don't need or want! (but can't get rid of)

I organise each page from top to bottom, that way the gaps are at the bottom and any new game for example can be dropped in at the bottom of my Game page.

My Home screens are filled with Widgets!

TSD

Autism_sig.png

Message 2 of 6 (4,180 Views)
Montala

[ Edited ]

Thanks TSG... that's a shame! :smileysad:

Presumably I would have to move all the apps 'manually' as it were, but presumably I would have to make some 'holes' for them first?

As I understand it, I can then move them around to any order I wish on each individual page.

You mentioned Widgets... are these sort of 'short cuts' to actual applications, or have I got that wrong?

Cheers! :smileyhappy:

Message 3 of 6 (4,156 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
thecoulson

Hi Montala,

Widgets are "live" applications which can be used directly on the screen you are looking at. They are capable of showing real-time content.

So, for example, I have installed a version of the launcher called "Launcher Pro". This replaces the stock TwLauncher which comes defaulted on the SGS. Once installed, for about £2, it is then possible to put Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, Calendar widgets directly onto the screen so the content can be read instantly, rather than having to first choose a shortcut which loads an application and then presents a Twitter feed, for example (iPhone style).

I wholeheartedly recommend the "Launcher Pro" instead of the stock Launcher which comes with the SGS. It's fantastically customisable and makes the whole experience of using the phone much more enjoyable. There ARE  others, but this is very popular.

Try downloading Launcher Pro and Homesmack (an app which allows you to switch between the two different launchers)

Cheers.

Message 4 of 6 (4,143 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

Montala wrote:

Thanks TSG... that's a shame! :smileysad:

1. Presumably I would have to move all the apps 'manually' as it were, but presumably I would have to make some 'holes' for them first?

2. As I understand it, I can then move them around to any order I wish on each individual page.

3. You mentioned Widgets... are these sort of 'short cuts' to actual applications, or have I got that wrong?

Cheers! :smileyhappy:

Re: points 1.+ 2.

Yes, what I do is on the last app page click menu > edit. A spare page is automatically created. I use this new page to put all the apps I don't use, from each of the previous app pages. This creates the "holes" so you can now move the apps around.

When finished click menu > save.

You can move the App pages around by using the "Pinch to zoom" motion. All the App pages are displayed at the same time! Just drag each page to it's desired position.

Re: point 3.

Widgets are mini versions of a running App. A Clock on the Home screen is a Widget! These are accessed by a Long press on one of the Home screens, This brings up a Menu of available Widgets.

Widgets and App pages. Use pinch to zoom to display all the app pages.

widgets.jpg  App pages.jpg

Autism_sig.png

Message 5 of 6 (4,142 Views)
vandit

You could always use a launcher. Most of them, if not all, list all your apps in aplhabeticle order. They all have a lot of customisation options. I recommend Launcher Pro. Works very well on the SGS.

Member of HTC Elevate (HTC's VIP community).
Message 6 of 6 (4,123 Views)