cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IMPORTANT CORRECT APN settings for Contract Internet and MMS. Look here.

Pangasius
4: Newbie

After setting up ICS on my Samsung Galaxy S2, the APNs needed to be re entered. After some trial and error the following now 100% work and thought I would share these with you. You will need to set up two APN’s as follows as the second will send your MMS but the first will receive.

This is based on contract and NOT Pay as you go ect. Please note case sensitive and must be exact.

Go to Settings – More –Mobile networks – Access Point Names and create the following (tap bottom left of your device). DON’T FORGET TO HIT SAVE once you have completed all fields by tapping bottom left of your device!!!!!

Name

Contract Internet

APN

Internet

Proxy

Not set

Username

web

Password

web

Server

Not set

MMSC

http://live.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms/

MMS port

MCC

MNC

Authentication type

PAP and CHAP

APN type

Not set

APN protocol

IPv4

Bearer

Unspecified

The second you will need to send MMS. Again Go to Settings – More –Mobile networks – Access Point Names and create the following (tap bottom left of your device). DON’T FORGET TO HIT SAVE once you have completed all fields by tapping bottom left of your device!!!!!

Name

Vodafone MMS

APN

wap.vodafone.co.uk

Proxy

Not set

Port

Not set

Username

wap

Password

wap

Server

Not set

MMSC

http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms

MMS proxy

MMS port

MCC

MNC

Authentication type

None

APN type

Not set

APN protocol

IPv4

Bearer

Unspecified

Dont forget you might have to re boot once done. I leave Contract Internet APN as default selected APN and all works fine and well.

Hope this helps somebody out there as there are many wrong settings out there that don’t work !!!

29 REPLIES 29

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member

Thanks pangasius i have been pushing for these settings to be put on the support section just like the Galaxy s has on

http://help.vodafone.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&CMD=BROWS...

You will find all the settings in the resources section there the same for the S2 as well as the S and the note,

Why Vodafone have not sorted this yet i will never know.

Thanks for your post 

Note on APN Vodafone MMS

APN above reads Wap.vodafone.co.uk when should be lower case

wap.vodafone.co.uk

Am unable to edit the above but if a mod can that would be handy in case this note is not read.

Regards

Hi Pangasius,

I've made that change for you.

Thanks

Andy

I've finally managed to update my phone. Everything seems to be working fine, and I followed the recommendations to hard factory reset before and after.

Now I'm a little confused after reading this post...is this something that everyone has to do?

swarren
13: Advanced Member

@TheLibertine

Just check your APN settings (Settings -  More - Mobile Networks - Acess Point Names) to make sure that there is something listed, my two settings are called "Contract WAP" and "Contract MMS" as long as these are there you will have no problems, mine were there by default after the upgrade and I also got two "setting up" texts from Vodafone a few days after upgrade.

Hope this helps

Steve

Please Click Kudos if I have helped you :smileyhappy:

pb3000
5: Helper

Thanks for this!

Purely by chance I was browsing the APN settings in my phone this morning and noticed there was a single entry for Contract Wap.

That  didn't look right and a bit of searching brought up this helpful post. I have now amended my settings.

Having updated the OS to ICS both on my phone and my wife's phone, I've found that the phone drops doesn't lock on to a mast continuously (not on a call, but I tried calling my phone from a landline and found I'd sometimes go through to voicemail within a 30 min period).  I found this whilst setting up my APN again (grr!), Don't know if my picutre messaging will work....proved costly last time I did an update, having to go through permutations for settings.  I did find however, rebooting the phone is a MUST

My wife is experiencing the same issue. I'll sort her's out when I see it.

Aside from that, does anyone know why you can't use packet data when the APN protocol is set to 'Ipv4/Ipv6', rather than 'Ipv4' only?  Why doesn't it just pick whichever is used?

Northern-dj

After you updated both phones did you do a Factory reset 

I have just done this on a S2 on another network and it was doing allsorts of strange stuff

After a Reset it sorted every thing out 

The reason for this is the new Firmwre has new Drivers for the phone but the old ones are still there and can cause allsorts of problems 

I tried the settings suggested and have had no luck on a Galaxy S2. I've never been able to download MMS despite receiving several- which all expired. I've rung Vodafone many times and got the same response everytime- incorrect settings. Even every member of staff  in the shop with the same phone couldn't sort it. Why should I be expected to do a factory reset after upgrading?! If I'm required to wipe my phone I might aswell root it and get one of the many ROMs available (which seek to address all the issues with Android) which I've been putting off for fear of losing all my apps and data. I'm so glad I'm only on a 12 month contract, I'll be leaving Vodafone on the first day I can and going straight back to iPhone on O2. ICS is a downgrade, to anyone reading this with 2.whatever I wouldn't bother 'upgrading' if I were you. It's the most unintuitive software I've ever come across. I make mobile apps for a living so don't try and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I give up trying to get this old school MMS technology to work, it really shouldn't be that difficult, Vodafone. Get your act together.