Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Incompatible Message?

OldPhone
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm sure I've read a thread on this somewhere before, but I can't seem to find it!

Recently I've received a message which apparently cannot be viewed on my (admittedly old and unable to do a lot) phone.  The message just reads "Incompatible Message" and the number associated with it is  +88850100000018. Is this just a spam message, or is there anyway of viewing this message or at least knowing who sent it? If I did the unthinkable and purchased a new phone which could do more than make simple calls/text messages would I be able to view the message, or is it gone forever in the land of incompatibility?

5 REPLIES 5

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

That would indicate to me that your phone is not capable of receiving MMS messages so there will be no way of viewing the actual message sent or finding out who it is from.  Basically what you are seeing are the instructions on how to download the MMS message.  If you had a compatible phone, you wouldn't even see this message - the only reason it is being displayed is because your phone has no idea what to do with those instructions. 

PWIAC

So... even if I moved the SIM to a phone with the capability to view such a message, it is going to remain unviewable? Or would it be a wise decision to upgrade from my poor little brick?

drey_p

@OldPhone wrote:

So... even if I moved the SIM to a phone with the capability to view such a message, it is going to remain unviewable? 

I'm afraid so as it has already tried to send the message and it has failed, I don't believe it will try to resend if you put your SIM in another phone.

@OldPhone wrote:

would it be a wise decision to upgrade from my poor little brick?

That would be entirely up to you.  It really depends on what you need and use the phone for. Do you get a lot of MMS messages?  Do you want to be able to use the internet and email on your phone?  Are you just going to be using the phone for texts and calls? How much do you want to spend on a handset?  Will you get a phone on contract or purchase the handset outright? 

PWIAC

I guess it's not really worth it for the few mms messages that may try to be sent to me, though it would be nice to know the original senders details just so I know whether it's someone now convinced I'm ignoring them or a spambot. 

Thank you for your help :Smiling:

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

The other possibility is that MMS has never been provisioned on your account.   If you call 191 or talk to Live Chat, they should be able to get this done for you.  Whether you'd then be able to view the message, I'm not sure (either due to its having expired or the capabilities of the phone), but it might help in future.

Googling the number you quoted suggests that a few people have trouble with it and that it sends incompatible messages.  I did wonder whether it was simply a message centre, but I can't find any evidence of that and I suspect it may be spam and therefore best ignored in any case.  One thing I found suggests that +88 is Taiwan or Bangladesh.