You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
jcougha

Internal Memory Full Message on Galaxy Ace

Hi,

I have a 2GB sd card and maybe 10 or so downloaded apps on my pretty new galaxy ace. recently i have been getting various notices saying my internal memory is full. i believe this is a common problem with this phone and most internet fixes suggest partitioning the sd card? is this the solution? i dont want to use some dodgy internet fix and ruin my phone and when i called vodafone support, they just gave me links to internet fixes!!!? is there any recommended fix for low internal stoarge? thanks!

Message 1 of 19 (41,725 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
PaulE

Re: Internal Memory Full Message on Galaxy Ace

Hi jcougha, 

It could be that the operating memory is running low - are you exiting the apps completely when you've finished with them?

If you don't, the Ace will keep them open which takes up memory.

It's worth checking your phone to see what memory is being used up, if it's the operating memory you can check this in the task manager by holding down the centre key until it pops up.

To check the storage on your phone go into Menu > Settings > Applications to see what you've got installed and Menu > Settings > Storage to see what you're using both on your card and in the phone.

You can sometimes move apps to your SD card but there's no reason to partition the card.

You can download various Task Manager apps in the play store that will monitor and close your open apps for you too :smileywink:

Paul 

Message 2 of 19 (41,704 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
hrym

The Ace has very limited memory and, even if your apps are all installed onto the SD card, they may be using the available operating memory if they're quite large.  Texts and call logs also use the internal memory, so you migh want to keep them relatively clear.

Message 3 of 19 (41,658 Views)
jcougha

thanks a mill, think i will look for an upgrade asap, really annoying!

Message 4 of 19 (41,629 Views)
hrym

The problem with the Ace is that it looks and feels like a smartphone (well, it is, up to a point!) but has an attractive price.   If all you want are the pasic phone, email and internet functions, it's fine.  However, users quickly start to use more and larger apps and it doesn't so much struggle as collapse under the weight of them.  To get the full functionality you'd expect from a smartphone, you need at least an S series one.

Message 5 of 19 (41,628 Views)
jcougha

ok, great, will hope for an s series one soon!!! any yeh, it was the price which made the ace attractive to me!

Message 6 of 19 (41,624 Views)
hrym

Interestingly, I've just had a conversation with an Ace user who was perfectly happy with the phone, but they only used it for calls, texts, emails, web and the facebook app.   Not bad, but probably approaching its limits.

Message 7 of 19 (41,610 Views)
jcougha

yep, its great for all these things (which are my main needs from the phone ) and has good camera as well. but the cache gets really full very quickly with any use at all (espec FB) and slows the phone performance or forces close of apps far too often

Message 8 of 19 (41,590 Views)
hrym

Apart from limited storage, the main issue is the working memory, which fills up very quickly.  And, yes, I wouldn't want to have more than one app running at a time.  You can also make sure you keep photos and other files on an external SD card.

I believe you also need to clear the call logs and old texts fairly frequently, too.

Message 9 of 19 (41,584 Views)
jcougha

how can i check if the gallery is on the sd card? and if they are not, how can i move them? is it possible to have texts on the sd card?

Message 10 of 19 (41,580 Views)
hrym

Depending on what flavour of Android you have, the app is either My Files or File Manager (it's one of the built-in ones).  As far as I remember, the folder is called DCIM.   Don't delete it, but just periodically move the contents to another folder (call it anything you like) on the card.  I don't think there's a way of setting the camera to store on the card by default.

No, I don't think you can move texts.

Message 11 of 19 (41,575 Views)
jcougha

great! thanks, left the stupid thing at home this morn, so will try this later, cheers for the help!

Message 12 of 19 (41,569 Views)
Jonathan1

Have encountered similar problems. Eventually found that we could increase available memory by uninstalling updates on applications (removing apps or moving them to the SD card seems impossible). The updates seem to use more memory than the original apps. I don't understand this. Managed to free 50MB in a few minutes. Hope this helps.

Message 13 of 19 (30,121 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

with the Lower to Mid range of phones the memory is a issue 

These phones can struggle it doesn't help when there blouted up 

Open up App manager 

and look at the running apps 

and look in the all apps if this is a branded  dissable all the vodafone and Yahoo apps 

Message 14 of 19 (30,097 Views)
hrym

Good call. The trouble with updates is creeping featurism - fine if you have a new device with plenty of memory! If you don't need the new features, or don't use the app at all, going back to basics is hardly a problem.

Message 15 of 19 (30,075 Views)
DavidOrbach

How can I move the call logs to the sc card?  I just bought an 8 giga! 

Message 16 of 19 (18,420 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
jeffkinn

You can't move calls logs or texts to an external card. You can keep backups on an external card but not the live data.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 17 of 19 (18,417 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I
thesoupdragon

You can backup Call Logs to your Google email account using SMSBackup+

It's a free app that saves SMS, MMS, Call Logs and even What'sApp messages.

These can be restored to any Android Phone that you log into using your Gmail account...

Wink.gif

halloweenSig.png

Message 18 of 19 (18,079 Views)
mutahhar

Message 19 of 19 (13,987 Views)