cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Is it possible to deactivate just EDGE Network?

kevstrom
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can you deactivate just the EDGE part of the network without effecting GPRS or 4G? I have a Galaxy Ace2 while my Note 2 is away for repair, its slow as it is already, but in certain areas, it looses the "H" GPRS signal and connects to "E" EDGE network, which is completely useless and wont even load web pages. I dont even know why its still there!

6 REPLIES 6

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Edge is a 2G technology, so you won't be able to turn it off, it is faster then GPRS so your phone will try and use it if available... However it will be very slow and not be able to load full feature rich pages very well.

HSPA and HPSA+ (H/H+) are 3G technologies, and while in range you will pick them up.

If you are on the edge of a cell and it starts to get busy, the cell will shrink, which is maybe a reason for you losing the signal every now and then.

hrym
17: Community Champion

Grolschuk is quite right.  If you turn Edge/2G off, you won't get your 3G signal back, you'll just lose the connection altogether.   You can restrict the phone to one particular connection type in Settings|Mobile networks if you want to, but it would be counter-productive, I'm afraid.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I guessed there wasnt a solution to it, its just a bit annoying sometime when your trying to load up a web page and it drifts from H or GPRS to E network.

grolschuk

So GPRS works fine? I would expect that to be slower than EDGE in most cases.

The handset will always to to connect to the fastest signal it can see, and in order that would be

GPRS -> EDGE -> H -> H+ -> 4G

So if GPRS works and EDGE does not, then it may be a problem with the Edge signal in your area that needs looking at.

hrym

I've been in the same situation and it's very frustrating.  Unfortunately, the only solution is either to move so that you're getting a better 3G signal and are further within the cell (they do indeed shrink according to demand), or to temporarily restrict the phone to 2G only.  This will give you a stable connection, but it's very slow and some apps will time out because of that.   It's also worth trying the Opera Mini browser for slow connections as it uses compression and is sometimes a bit quicker.  It's not compatible with all sites, though and doesn't usually work with online purchasing.

63johnw
I think what you are trying to do can be done by going to settings, more, mobile networks,then in network mode select wcdma only.
As the others say tho, you may just lose signal all together rather than staying on 3G