Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
TerryTibbs

KIES - You need to install MyFreeCodec

When opening certain functions within KIES I get a message box

You need to install MyFreeCodec to use playing functions? [] An error may ocur if the code is not installed.

I dont want to use playing function or install a dodgy sounding codec. Can I turn this message off ? I'm not planning to answer this question every day for the rest of my SAMSUNG relationship.

Or is it safe to install the codec ? Help appreciated........
Message 1 of 13 (13,747 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Holly

KIES - You need to install MyFreeCodec

Hi Terry Tibbs,

I have done some digging on the internet and it seems fine to download MyFreeCodec, if you download the latest version this will fully enable the Samsung PC Suite as well.

Once you have done this your phone should stop giving you the error code, I'm afraid I don't know how to get rid of the message other than downloading MyFreeCodec.

If you need any help with this let us know. :)

Thanks

Holly
eForum Team
Message 2 of 13 (13,747 Views)
jamiebally

Re: KIES - You need to install MyFreeCodec

[ Edited ]

I use Kies for my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7inch and it will not install myfreecodec. Whenever it says Do you want to install the codec and I click Yes a message comes up saying Cannot open file. You do not have access privileges, or there is a problem with the file. Does anyone know what to do? (Click on the attachment below to see what comes up when I ask it to install.)

Message 3 of 13 (3,553 Views)
Rank 36: Scholar V
hrym

Assuming you're not starting from a zip file, you may need to install as an administrator.

Message 4 of 13 (3,523 Views)
jamiebally

hrym wrote:

Assuming you're not starting from a zip file, you may need to install as an administrator.

I tried to do it as an administrator, clicked open with administrator priviliges and it still didn't work.

Message 5 of 13 (3,500 Views)
hrym

I'm not familiar with the process, but is that appears to be a message from within Kies.  Are you closing Kies before you try to install the codec?  Are you getting an installation failure message?

I'll admit I'm struggling a bit here.  The obvious solution would be to see if the codec is installed and, if it is, uninstall it and try again.  I'm note sure where to look, though.

What operating system are you using?  It's just possible that the codec isn't compatible, I suppose.

Message 6 of 13 (3,489 Views)
jamiebally

hrym wrote:

I'm not familiar with the process, but is that appears to be a message from within Kies.  Are you closing Kies before you try to install the codec?  Are you getting an installation failure message?

I'll admit I'm struggling a bit here.  The obvious solution would be to see if the codec is installed and, if it is, uninstall it and try again.  I'm note sure where to look, though.

What operating system are you using?  It's just possible that the codec isn't compatible, I suppose.

I am using windows 8.

Message 7 of 13 (3,489 Views)
hrym

It does appear to be compatible with Windows 8, though I believe that version is even tougher on certificates that earlier versions.   There's some further info here http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/MyFreeCodec-7512-program.aspx, which includes help on removal, if you need to.

The other possibility is that there's a later version that works with W8.  I can't recommend specific sites that are safe for a download, I'm afraid.

Message 8 of 13 (3,480 Views)
jamiebally

uninstalled kies and installed it again. works fine. should of tried it earlier!
Message 9 of 13 (3,477 Views)
hrym

Yeah, why do we always ignore the thing that's staring us in the face.  Well done on getting a solution and thanks for posting back here.

Message 10 of 13 (3,450 Views)
whatever2014

[ Edited ]

If you know how to find the software version information, then always post that when asking for help with a software problem. I'm guessing you are/were on Kies version 2 point something?...

Samsung is a multinational corporation. Samsung is a conglomerate (see Samsung Group). It's a Billion dollar company! But they can't afford their own video coder/decoder and properly implemented in their own software? I find that hard to believe.

I've looked into it and it seems that MyFreeCodecPack is copyrighted to "ENJsoft Inc." I would say it's bloatware (see bloatware) and you should avoid that sort of thing on your computer. It's a piece of software, a collection of codecs licensed under GNU GPL license, copyrighted to "ENJsoft" and thrown into "Samsung Kies" so that some Korean guy/company can make some extra money off of open source software. Not that it's wrong to make money from open source, but you got to keep it open. And how do you obtain the source code if the maintainer goes offline...

You should have been presented with the option to install this codec during the installation of Samsung Kies 2 (at least in newer releases). If you had that checkbox ticked then this should not be a problem. If you had that option unchecked/unticked then that's probably why you're seeing this now. There might be other reasons as well, you never know with these bloated software when they're going to stop working properly.

If this is still relevant, I would recommend looking for an alternative software to fill the same purpose. There is more than one alternative out there you could try, both free and payed software. Just google "kies alternative" or "android sync software". There is also http://alternativeto.net/ (a social software recommendation website) where you can do a search for Samsung Kies and it will show you some alternatives provided by user feedback.

Message 11 of 13 (2,849 Views)
hrym

It's not uncommon not to re-invent the wheel. A lot of software uses modules licensed from elsewhere.

Message 12 of 13 (2,778 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

THIS IS NOT BLOATWARE

Kies has a video playback feature and also uploading Video files some devices need a Video Codec to play back 

These are Video codecs Only one being MP4 and Mpeg 

Some stock Laptops can not play these back in Media Player 

Uninstalling Kies and deleting the Kies folder will remove these if you don't intend on playing Videos from your phone then click No to the install 

Message 13 of 13 (2,759 Views)