Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Lollipop update (5.0.2) - missing Smart Lock & Guest/User accounts

johnstoneg
2: Seeker

Hi All

My Galaxy A5 has just arrived, and like a good Tech I upgraded the OS before I did anything else. It's currently running Lollipop (5.0.2), and according to everytning I can see on the Android website, the core 'Lollipop' OS should provide the Smart Lock option (assuming a pattern or passcode is enabled on the device), and the Guest/User Account options. Both of these very useful options are missing from the 5.0.2 update I have just installed...

Does anyone know if this is a build variation specifically for Vodafone (i.e. they have opted to disable these core functions as part of their core Android 5.0.2 build), or is there some small print somewhere, detailling hardware limitations/requirements for these services to be enabled?

Thanks in advance - Glenn

4 REPLIES 4

johnstoneg

Vodafone CSRs (and their dedicated Tech Support staff), do not have an answer to this question, so I've dropped Samsung Support the same query, and will update this thread with their response - once I have it.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
Hi

The network does hold back a firmware and test it to ensure it and it's features do not clash with the network and the branded phones they release it from.

Hopefully another user will report their findings here for you.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-products-services/Firmware/m-p/831995

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Discussed the missing OS Compnents with Samsung Support this afternoon, and I was advised that Samsung made a decision NOT to install the Smart Lock & Guest User services on their phones. There are no current plans to make these Lollipop 5.x services available on their devices.

So there's the answer...

I must say I'm disappointed. I've been running Android for 6 years now on my mobile devices, and have shied away from Apple - due to more convoluted/expensive ways of doing things on their devices that are free/simpler on Android. With the growing 'divergence' of core OS builds on Android being adopted by phone manufacturers - and their blatant lack of dissemination of OS/policy updates (and what they will be adopting/rejecting as part of their Software Update provision) - I'm beginning to look at Apple as a possible 'better' long term soultion. After all, all their handsets get the same OS (hardware/firmware dependent)... In essence, ou get what it says on the tin!

I have the Smart Lock function on my S4 running 5.0.1........

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac