Support:

Samsung

Ask a question:
Rank 2: First Poster
jarrovianmag

Nexus One not going to get any more updates.

So much for the sales pitch we all probably got when buying a Nexus One that it was Google's flagship phone and would always get updates.

I have just read on Engadet that it will noot be getting the ice cream update.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/26/nexus-one-denied-ice-cream-sandwich-becomes-official-relic-of-a/

Message 1 of 7 (3,708 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

Re: Nexus One not going to get any more updates.

It's a shame but times move on and you can't expect support forever. The handset is almost 2 years old, Well past Googles own 18 month support period. To be honest i'd say we are doing welll hto have had it update to Gingerbread. 
Of course the Nexus One will recieve ICS in the form of custom ROMs.

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 2 of 7 (3,685 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
kudos72

Don't necessarily agree with their approach but Google didn't make any promises:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=5f2067ddf3cbc7ab&hl=en

Time will tell if cyanogen and the like get it working however. 

Message 3 of 7 (3,684 Views)
Nabs

kudos72 wrote:

Don't necessarily agree with their approach but Google didn't make any promises:

The point made be the user in that thread about how he provides updates for 5 years cannot be applied to mobiles. For ormal applications this is fine, your working with much more powerful hardware that will be able to handle 95% or what you throw at it.

The rate of development within mobile hardware at the moment means that much more powerful and more usefull systems can be made to run, unfortunatly this does mean older devices are left behind. 
I think even the 18month support period Google, the Manufacturers and Networks have commited to is reasonbly generous.

Message 4 of 7 (3,676 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Siquo2000

Wasn't the G1 googles flagship phone, which I also own

Message 5 of 7 (3,576 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
yellow160

Nabs wrote:

kudos72 wrote:

The point made be the user in that thread about how he provides updates for 5 years cannot be applied to mobiles. For ormal applications this is fine, your working with much more powerful hardware that will be able to handle 95% or what you throw at it.

The rate of development within mobile hardware at the moment means that much more powerful and more usefull systems can be made to run, unfortunatly this does mean older devices are left behind. 
I think even the 18month support period Google, the Manufacturers and Networks have commited to is reasonbly generous.

I don't really see your point.

1) There is a difference between supporting and upgrading. Sure I don't really expect my NexusOne to forever get the latest and greatest versions of Android but I do expect my version of Android to get relevant updates and fixes - especially as the N1 is so limited in terms of phone memory and each update to pre-installed apps sucks more of that memory.

2) There's nothing generous about the length of the support period. I'm only about a year into my 18month contract. I expect my phone to be fully supported for the lifetime of that contract. If Vodafone/Google aren't willing to commit to that then I don't see why I should be tied to the contract period. Simple.

Message 6 of 7 (3,561 Views)
Nabs

Yellow160,

Apologie i worded it wrong. The support period you get with the handset will be for the duration of the contract. The major update period for Android phones has been set at 18months from the devices launch. It is this 18month period that i think is reasonable. Obviously if the need arose that a major security hole needed fixing im sure the handsets would be updated beyond the 18 months, this would only be for security with no new features being added.

Message 7 of 7 (3,557 Views)