Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not Registered on Network

PeteSullivan
4: Newbie

Hi

I got my S4 on 3rd May and after a few days started giving the message of Not registered on network this would happen in many locations even standing still, (I havew had my contract for 4 years) so it was not a new connection problem.  Tried my sim card in my daughters HTC One and that was fine so that was eliminated, reported the problem and the phone went away for repair, it was returned a week later with a letter saying they could not find the fault and had updated the software.  Put in a new sim card and all was well for 5 days when the problem started again.  The only waay to get the phone back on the network seems to be power it down, wait a minute and then start it up again.  It is now away for repair again if it comes back with the same problem again, what action can I take?  I think the S4 is a fantastic phone and do not want a different make or model, I want a S4 that works.

Network coverage is good since I am in London, so this makes no sense and if they cannot find the fault or repair it, I want the phone replaced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As the person who started this thread, I can assure you it is not a common problem, my phone was replaced (after 3 repair attempts) and not had any issues since so I am very satisfied.   As for being a well documented problem, I do not think so, whilst Google is good it also throws up many non related results.

Darren, I do not know how Samsung works (I am sure someone will) but with Voda they will try 3 repairs then replace it and it is always away no more than 7 days.

View solution in original position

169 REPLIES 169

Hi i have the issue where i constantly get ge message "not registered on network" even when i have 3 or 4 bars. and its driving me nuts, I have 3 different phones available to try using the same SIM, and none of them exhbit this issue, and only a reboot seems to fix the problem.

Googling the issue, seems to show this an issue with the handset as people are reporting it on many differenent networks,.

Sounds like a software or Hardware issue to me, has anyone been able to resolve this problem ?

many thanks

Mark

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Sounds like there's a bigger issue here.  It should be fixable with a software update in time however immediatly the best you can try is a factory reset?

Remember to backup everything befroe you do so as ther is no way to revers the process once started

Nabs

Hi thanks for the reply, i work in I.T , i have tried factory reset too, tried the SIM in HTC one, and iPhone 4S, HTC Windows 8 phone, all work completely fine, these have been long term tests too,, couple of weeks in the Win8 HTC phone, with not a single issue.

Checked for Sofware and Firmware updates, nothing i can see available at the moment.

I dont want to go down the path, of multiple phone returns and replacements, I really like the S4, but this does look like a bigger issue.

Regards

Mark

hrym

TBH, this sounds like a faulty handset, but there are a couple of things you could try before sending it off for repair.

1. Clean the SIM contacts - just rub them with a soft cloth.  That's what got my S2 going.

2. Try a replacement SIM.  In theory, the fact that yours works in other phones should exonerate it, but it's worth a try.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi markcgreen,

If you're in your 7 day cooling off period, you can of course swap the phone to different make or model should you decide to.

If you're outside of the return period, we can either have your phone repaired under the warranty in house or you can approach Samsung directly for a repair/replacement. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben

Hi all, I have been posting ia the "poor signal" thread but think this one is more appropriate.

My S4 will lose service and drop calls several times a day and get messages like,"emergency calls only,no service and not registered on selected network"

I have tried new sim and factory reset but still same. Vodafone said my sim was not properly latched onto network and I should try several soft resets and manual network selection...Still no joy.

This would happen in several areas.

I sent phone to samsung for repair 2 days ago and have been using a payg voda sim in a galaxy s2 ,perfect ,no problems and I also have a orange payg on a old samsung with no problems at all.  No disrespect to "3" which is the cheapest provider, which my workmate has ,has perfect reception in same office.

It must be a problem with the S4.

I will let all know when phone comes back from samsung.

Regards Darren

Bro here is the solution for your device. Do refer the below link.

Solution for Not Register On Network

dsolds
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Sorry if this is resurrecting a thread from the dead but I found it via Google. I have the same issue as several other people are reporting, Full signal and the error message "Not registered on network".

I spoke to our internal onsite Vodafone people and also the helpdesk via 191. Both very nice but neither of them mentioned that this is a well know and documented issue with the handset. Mine was bought outright (sim free) and is about to be returned for a refund but someone at Vodafone would do well to ensure their support staff have access to this information.

Best advice is to steer clear of the S4 until Samsung sort it out. I shall be buying something which is "Not Samsung" to replace this.

jeffkinn

Please define 'well known and documented' as I haven't had a moment's trouble with my S4 and I haven't noticed many threads on this forum on this issue. You can find this problem with all networks and all handsets - my sister is having terrible trouble with a Sony and T-Mobile with this same situatuon right now.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Well, all I did was ask Google and got plenty of very accurate hits. They are all related to the handset rather than one specific network and whilst Samsung have probably sold millions of the S4, more than just a few are having this problem. Mine is the S4 Active BTW if that makes any difference, not that it should.

It's definitely the handset for me. I've put the sim in another phone and that works fine. This S4 on the other hand is only good for a few minutes before the dreaded falling off the network happens.